Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #1

Rear Brakes Lock Up

hello
I have a 2015 Holiday Rambler Ambassador on a Frightliner XLC Chassis
From The day I bought it the rear brakes will lock up in stop and go driving.
after a while they will release, I have had it in for service twice at 2 different places and they can't find the problem. Has anyone else had this problem?
if so please help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What does your air gauge say when they lock up? Where I'm heading is if you are in stop and go traffic. You are using the brakes a lot. If either you have a bad leak in air system or your air compressor cannot keep up with the demand your spring brakes (emergency brake) will lock up until air builds up again. You should hear an air alarm and see gauge go to zero or at least below 60PSI or so.

gemert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:54 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
What does your air gauge say when they lock up? Where I'm heading is if you are in stop and go traffic. You are using the brakes a lot. If either you have a bad leak in air system or your air compressor cannot keep up with the demand your spring brakes (emergency brake) will lock up until air builds up again. You should hear an air alarm and see gauge go to zero or at least below 60PSI or so.
x2
your coach should keep up with stop go traffic, unless you hold the pedal hard and slowly let it up some then push hard again...but even still it takes alot to drain the air out enough to not have any
a leak is certainly on top of list
when i do my air brake test ...it takes forever to bleed off enough to set the ebrake
does your yellow parking brake button pop out when they lock up
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Excessive use of the brakes may be depleting your air in stop and go traffic. I have not had a problem but I know my air compressor gets quite a workout in heavy city traffic.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It could be your foot valve is sticking! It may be your s cams need to be lubed. It also could be rust in the drums(if they are drum brakes) from being parked for a long period.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:28 PM   #6

How long since the brake rod zerks were greased?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:40 PM   #7

Just about all the replies so far involve items that should have been checked by both the shops that looked into this issue.
But I'll have to ask .
Where the rear wheels and drums removed for the brake inspection by either shop ; to look for contaminants on the brake linings; or did they just crawl around underneath ?
Old 06-17-2016, 08:08 AM   #8

I assume this is an air brake system. Do all rear brakes lock up or just one wheel. How do you get them to release? Need more info on type of brake system, hydraulic, air, hydraulic over air. What is the psi gauges showing when this happens. What is the weather when this happens. Please give as much detail as you can.
badturks5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #9

I was in the truck brake business doing re-man work on clutches and brakes and air compressors... I really need more information to help you...

1 - are you running out of air and getting your low air alarm to come on? if so, check for leaks in the system... in normal traffic, a truck normally only sends 12-15 lbs of pressure to the spring brakes for stopping... so check for leaks..

2 - if you ARE NOT running out of air but the rear brakes are locking up... the wheels and drums need to come off for an inspection... the s-cams might be binding up in the bushings (needs grease), you might have contamination on the friction (leaking wheel seal on brake shoes), your rear slack adjusters might not be adjusting correctly and you've got a problem with them.... and of course you could be close to the end of the life of the friction and the s-cams are binding on the rollers... in any case, to correctly know what is going on... you need to get them apart and inspected...

3 - IF you have one wheel that's leaking grease, make sure they replace all friction on the axle.... friction comes in different qualities and have different stopping abilities.. if the shop finds one brand/quality on one wheel and another on the opposite side... this needs to be fixed...

4 - since most truck axles don't have protection (dust/dirt shields) its possible you've got a rock, gravel, impeded in one of the shoes... this can roll and jam the shoe in the drum...

5 - its possible that one of the retainer springs or other moving parts in the brake system is loose.. and binding up the friction...

Hope this helps... remember this needs to be checked by a TRUCK SHOP who knows and understands AIR BRAKES and has attended one of the vendor sponsored training programs and are certified to do DOT inspections and repair of Air Brakes... if your shop or tech doesn't have this training or certification your wasting your money
Old 06-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
jelag- Welcome to IRV2- Couple of good posts so far.. Thanks
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #11

rear brakes lock up

Thank you all for your comments
little more info.
this is an air Brake system and my gauges never fall below 100 lb when this is happening
The Motor home has 9000 miles on it and I have had this problem since the first time I took it on a trip
It seems to happen in warmer weather
the first shop I took it to greased the cams, and the second shop said the slack adjusters were out of adjustment. I believe it is only on the right side when it happens. after about 30 minutes they will release.
I don't know if either shop removed the drums to inspect.
any help would be great
Thanks
Old 06-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #12

Do you drive with 2 feet, in traffic ?
Old 06-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
I was in the truck brake business doing re-man work on clutches and brakes and air compressors... I really need more information to help you...

1 - are you running out of air and getting your low air alarm to come on? if so, check for leaks in the system... in normal traffic, a truck normally only sends 12-15 lbs of pressure to the spring brakes for stopping... so check for leaks..

2 - if you ARE NOT running out of air but the rear brakes are locking up... the wheels and drums need to come off for an inspection... the s-cams might be binding up in the bushings (needs grease), you might have contamination on the friction (leaking wheel seal on brake shoes), your rear slack adjusters might not be adjusting correctly and you've got a problem with them.... and of course you could be close to the end of the life of the friction and the s-cams are binding on the rollers... in any case, to correctly know what is going on... you need to get them apart and inspected...

3 - IF you have one wheel that's leaking grease, make sure they replace all friction on the axle.... friction comes in different qualities and have different stopping abilities.. if the shop finds one brand/quality on one wheel and another on the opposite side... this needs to be fixed...

4 - since most truck axles don't have protection (dust/dirt shields) its possible you've got a rock, gravel, impeded in one of the shoes... this can roll and jam the shoe in the drum...

5 - its possible that one of the retainer springs or other moving parts in the brake system is loose.. and binding up the friction...

Hope this helps... remember this needs to be checked by a TRUCK SHOP who knows and understands AIR BRAKES and has attended one of the vendor sponsored training programs and are certified to do DOT inspections and repair of Air Brakes... if your shop or tech doesn't have this training or certification your wasting your money

I'd next take it to a truck stop *shop that specializes in my chassis... or back to the factory....

Have you placed a phone call to the factory yet... getting squeaky might help... then again, it might not.. but it's worth a try.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
What's the description of the symptoms indicative of the brakes being locked? Can you expound upon the symptom? That might help others help you troubleshoot.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, brake