Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Rear dual tire valve extensions on 22.5's ?

Hi What is the best way to adapt the rear dual valve stems on 22.5 tires for easy access? I was looking at the braided stainless extensions at Camping World. I would need the extensions that have air in them all the time NOT the airless ones, because I have TPMS sensors on each wheel. What problems have people exeprienced with this type of setup. Positive comments are welcome also. Thanks Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just added a set of Crossfire pressure monitors made by Dual Dynamics to replace
the low quality TST pressure monitors that seized onto my valve stem forcing me to have them cut off.

This is a great option as you have one point of fill as well as a easy to view display and it allows the pressure to balance out between the two as the inner steel rim always gets hotter than the outer aluminum rim does.

Dual Dynamics Crossfire

Old 07-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #3

Question with the Crossfire if you got a flat won't the other tire go flat too ?? Double Trouble
Old 07-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
No, they are sold by pressure ratings in 5 pound increments and are pretty sensitive. As soon as the pressure drops below a preset tolerance it isolates the tires from one another and simply indicates a low pressure flag. I just do a quick walk around at each stop.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cats Eye is another dual tire cross connect system that works well.

I used the braided stainless flex extenders on a previous coach and never had any trouble in 5 years. Just make sure the outer end is firmly anchored to the wheel - you really don't want that sensor flopping around!

On the current coach I used 180 degree chrome steel extensions from Wheelmasters on the outer dual but they were a bit of a pain to install and keep tight. Recently I got new tires on the rear and had the shop install the outer tire valve facing outward instead of inward, so no more access problems. Theer isno harm in this - it just means you can't move that tire to another wheel position without reversing the valve again.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've been using the braided ss with my TPMS for about 6 months and have not had any problems so far
Old 07-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the braided steel extensions. It makes checking and filling the tire much easier. I also have the TPMS from TST and have had no problems with it at all. I called them to make sure that having the braided extensions was not a problem and they said I should be good. So far it's been great.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The best solution is to replace your valve stems with solid metal ones for dually wheels. These are long enough to extend through the outer wheel making it easy to check air pressure or attach monitors.

Dually Valve - Main Frameset

If you can not decide which stems fit your coach call them and they will assist you. I had a local tire shop install them for me for $80. When I was younger I installed them myself.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They sell metal extensions that are not flexable and come in different lengths. For the inner duals I used a gromnmet as a support where it comes throught the outter dual. I also have a TPMS
Wheel Masters: Valve Extenders
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I use the braided extensions but NOT the Airless ones... they cost me a brand new XRV tire.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
metal extensions that are not flexable and come in different lengths. For the inner duals I used a gromnmet as a support where it comes throught the outter dual. I also have a TPMS
Ditto for me. Actually, my rig came from the factory with this setup except for the stabilizer grommet. Early on I had a cracked valve stem on a dual and the tire shop gave me the grommets. It is now 8 years and apx 60k miles later and no problems whatsoever. Before I got the TPMS, I added Alligator caps to all the tires so I could check/add air without having to removed a valve cap. Alligator caps have a double internal seal and are designed for high pressure tires. With them in place I could check all my tire pressures almost as quick as I could walk around the rig and a brief hesitation at each wheel.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #12

I've used the braided stainless extensions with air in the extension for several years with no problems. I also have Tire Sentry monitors on the end of the stainless extensions.
Fred
Old 07-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304
The best solution is to replace your valve stems with solid metal ones for dually wheels. These are long enough to extend through the outer wheel making it easy to check air pressure or attach monitors.

Dually Valve - Main Frameset

If you can not decide which stems fit your coach call them and they will assist you. I had a local tire shop install them for me for $80. When I was younger I installed them myself.

Jon
+1 on the longer valve stems. I've used them on two RVs. Extensions of any type are prone to leakage or failure. I use a TST TPMS system on the longer valve stems. Very easy to remove the sensors when needed to adjust air pressure. Never an issue for 5 years now.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Question for those using both a "Crossfire" type of dual pressure ballancing device AND a TPMS system. Is is safe to assume that you use only a single TPMS sensor on each pair of duals? If so, and one of the duals develops a leak, my understanding is that the "Crossfire" would close the valve to the leaking tire so the good one wouldn't be deflated. If that's the case, wouldn't the TPMS sensor continue to report pressure from the good tire... leaving the driver unaware that one of the duals had gone flat???

Thanks,

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote