Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #1

rear flat on class A

So, as we learn the ins and outs of rving with our 40' Mandalay DP I try to think ahead of troubling conditions..... A flat rear tire stops you dead on the road , or can you hobble for repair without doing damage ? RFS
R F S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #2

This has actually happened to me about 10 miles from home, yes, we hobbled home, no damage, the thing to look out for is tread flying off the blown tire. we went really slow with flashers on. in hind sight, i should have removed the blown part and possibly limped in from there. wouldnt recommend going to far maybe just to the nearest exit.
JayAre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The problem with driving with one rear dual flat is that you're overloading the remaining tire by placing TWICE the load on it and it could very well do some damage you won't see right away.

I'm sure some of our tire experts will be along to chime in on the subject.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #4

If it was a blowout, you'd be glad that you had CoachNet, or other such paid assistance.

If it's just a flat, from unseen reasons, there are things you can do. First check the valve stem. Next run your had over the thread checking for obvious reasons for air loss. Next is rarely used but is an easy, on vehicle, fix in that fill with some air if possible, spray tire with spray bottle filled with water an a couple drops of dish soap to find leak, then fix the leak with that emergency plug kit you have with you.

Contrary to popular thought to many, the modern plug, designed for tubeless tires, work wonderfully, and even for long periods of time.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #5

Carolina Campers
My tire guy said that a majority of the time, if the inside back tire is low or flat, it usually a loose valve stem.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #6

I only ramble slowly along to reach a safe place to be totally out of harms way. Then address the flat tire.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #7

40 miles After I drove past the NO services for 65 miles sign my tire monitor said low air inside right dual. I pulled into the first wide spot. Found the valve stem leaking. Tightened it took out the hose and used the coach to air it back up to 90 and drove directly to the tire shop. He replaced the stem and checked all the rest and said have a nice day $20.00. Cant do much better than that...
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The recommendation is to pull off as soon as you safely can and get BOTH tires replaced (in fact all 4, since you should replace tires axle at a time).

I have seen people drive with one dual flat. But only till they could get it removed and replaced.

I removed it for 'em. in one case (NOT something I suggest you do at home, I have the needed tools, experience and physical size and strength, but it's still a job).
Old 07-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a left inside tire blow on the freeway. Got out and inspected for damage and situation. Way too dangerous to be on the shoulder of the road with traffic whizzing by at 70+ mph. Drove slowly, with flashers flashing, to the next exit about 5 miles down the road. Called EMS and ate dinner at a restaurant there while waiting for them to come. They swapped on our spare and off we went.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #10

Flat rear tire options

Thanx for the advice on this. Will keep it in the memory bank and hope not to have an incident..... Most class A carry a spare ????
R F S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by R F S View Post
Thanx for the advice on this. Will keep it in the memory bank and hope not to have an incident..... Most class A carry a spare ????
No!....Now days a cell phone with appropriate number to call.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #12

Be aware that you can end up in trouble with the law if your flat does any damage to the pavement . Many years ago I was on a jury in a case where a guy was charged with damaging the shoulder by driving on the rim. He got a pretty hefty fine.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
If you are asking about this subject, you should not be attempting to change a 22.5" class a tire on the side of the road yourself! There is a reason that the large class A's don't provide a spare - they are heavy and dangerous for the uninitiated. Leave it to the pros, and call road service. (Yeah, I know, the last road service I called turned out to be an 18 year old still wet behind the ears. As we used to say in the day, I had "more time at test depth than he had been alive", but it was his back and not mine!)
Old 07-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Years ago, had a RT rear outside tire blow, it started thumping hard about 15 seconds before it let go. Fortunately I was right at a rest area entrance. A truck driver followed me in (nice) and said there was a truck stop at the next exit, about 6 miles and to run the shoulder at 20-30mph and it should be fine. That MH had a spare (19.5 in tire), which was installed at the truck stop. Michelin replaced the blown tire under warranty on the condition I replace the inside dual also (at my expense) as it had been overloaded and was unsafe.

Present MH has 22.5 inch tires, no spare. Well over 100 lbs for each tire & rim and lug nut torque at 450 ft/lbs. Some can DYI but most depend on roadside service.
Another consideration, most blow-outs result in some chassis damage, from cosmetic or panel damage to disabling wiring harness or air lines.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote