Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rear leveling jacks not retracting

Just purchased a 2004 winnebago vectra. Haven't checked the manuals yet thought I'd get some info from people who know first. For some reason the rear jacks won't retract all the way. Sometimes they work fine this time they only retracted half way. Is there a hydraulic fluid filter somewhere that may be clogged? Hydraulic fluid is full. Any help would be appreciated.
Ks4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Here's a link to the HWH manuals for the systems Winnebago uses. Winnebago Industries Operators' Manuals

You mentioned rear jacks not retracting fully, but said fluid level is O.K. It shouldn't be if level was checked when all jacks weren't fully retracted. If you run the jacks up and down a number of times (not all at once, overheating of the pump motor could happen) Whether the piston shaft (shiny part) needs lubrication is up for debate. Some folks suggest spray white grease, silicon spray, automatic transmission fluid, but some say WD-40 is not to be used. Also, if your jacks have springs to assist in retracting, those springs get worn and need replacing.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply. I sprayed the jacks with some silicone spray. Front jacks are working fine. I may need to change the springs.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Retract spring weakening is common .
Old 03-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I had the same problem. I called HwH and they said to use only wd40 to spray the cyclinder rod, the shiny rod. Then wipe it dry. I do that and they work fine. The problem is I have to do it every month whether I use them or not. If I don't they are slow to come up and sometimes stick half way.
I replaced my left side springs and they still did it. But as soon as I cleaned the rods they came up with no problem.
HwH says don't use anything but WD40.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks okie143....I've been using silicone spray. I'll try the wd40 and wipe them off.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The hydraulic pistons on many pieces of equipment never need spraying, even after being not used for months. Dump trucks, farm equipment, earth moving vehicles can be parked and they work without having to be sprayed. The idea that HWH suggests spraying with WD-40 points out that perhaps their pistons aren't as heavily chromed or their seals are not robust as other hydraulic pistons built for other purposes. I specifically mentioned WD-40 not being recommended by other RV owners because of reports of gumming up with repeated applications. I've never seen it myself, but I've never used it that heavily.

If you extend the jacks and they fail to retract without a 'help' with a board, I'd suspect weak springs, not lack of spray lubrication.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks4857 View Post
Just purchased a 2004 winnebago vectra. Haven't checked the manuals yet thought I'd get some info from people who know first. For some reason the rear jacks won't retract all the way. Sometimes they work fine this time they only retracted half way. Is there a hydraulic fluid filter somewhere that may be clogged? Hydraulic fluid is full. Any help would be appreciated.
I had this issue and all I did was to rub the shaft down with some hydraulic fluid.

Apparently they were just dry and sticking while the were retracting.

Haven't had any issues after that.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:24 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I have exactly the same year/model as you, and you've already been given the advice you need. On our units, the hydraulics only extend the jacks. It's the springs that cause them to retract. If you are on the original springs, replacing them will fix your issue. HWH redesigned the spring in later years to have more power, and when you replace them you'll notice quite a difference.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

One additional thought - spray the lubricant (I use silicone) up into the boot instead of just on the shaft. It's amazing how much dirt can be flushed out.
Skip Y
2010 Journey 40T
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:07 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Springs do the retracting. So could be partially springs. However this is a common issue, that they won't retract the last half inch or so. It's kept at bay by occasionally spraying with wd40. HWH recommends wd40. If needed you can use a 2x4 or metal lever to being up the jack - just use it as a lever and apply pressure, it will move, slowly.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:22 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

How cold was it outside? Cold fluid affects viscosity of the hydraulic fluid and slows down fluid return to the reservoir. I worked as an aircraft mechanic for over 40 years, we wiped landing gear struts (the chrome area) with the same type hydraulic fluid that is used the the system. I don't know what material is used in the HWH Orings but WD40 will make some Orings swell. If you use the same hydraulic fluid that is used in the system you eliminate that problem.
HWH also uses a Velocity valve in the system to slow down fluid, that is returning to the reservoir, to prevent the RV from dropping to fast. My 725 Series HWH system has velocity valve in the system, I don't know if all HWH systems use velocity valves.

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks