Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Rear main seal leak?

We just took our new to us, 06 Monaco Monarch for a short ride. When I parked it, I noticed oil on the ground. This engine is brand new, according to the dealer we just got it from. I crawled underneath, and saw oil running down the pan on the front and both sides. It is all over the starter also. I'm terrified. It looks like a rear main seal. Can anyone tell me what this will cost to replace, if the dealer won't cover it? I won't be sleeping tonight. My stomach is in knots.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 08:54 PM   #2

What engine does it have?

Olde Timey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:54 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It has an 8.1L gas.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Also, the oil is on the rear of the oil pan, and the front of the transmission. It's also on the starter.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #5

Get that unit back to the dealer ASAP!

97 Bounder 36S 460. Pulling as many quads as I can fit on the trailer or get started!
Old 04-30-2016, 08:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricco View Post
We just took our new to us, 06 Monaco Monarch for a short ride. When I parked it, I noticed oil on the ground. This engine is brand new, according to the dealer we just got it from. I crawled underneath, and saw oil running down the pan on the front and both sides. It is all over the starter also. I'm terrified. It looks like a rear main seal. Can anyone tell me what this will cost to replace, if the dealer won't cover it? I won't be sleeping tonight. My stomach is in knots.
Well,
Before you start looking for a hangman's noose, let's calm down and do a small experiment. Based on your statement, you're not REALLY sure JUST where the oil is emanating from, correct? So, here's the game plan. While it might be a bit of a pain, based on surroundings, your capabilities, and things like that, you need to buzz on down to your local Auto parts supply and, pickup a can, maybe two, of "Engine degreaser".

Normally, it's a spray can. You just point and shoot. You need to spray as much of that engine, all the way around it, as far up as the valve cover seal etc. to make sure, you have a good, clean engine, with no traces of any oil on it. Then, a hose down is needed to rinse off all that degreaser.

Now, here's where it's really important. Take a good look around all the potential oil leak areas, the valve cover, front timing cover, rear main seal, any oil pressure sending units, any exterior oil lines that come in contact with the engine block or head, any thing like that. This will familiarize you with all the potential possible leak areas.

Now, fire that big beast up and, with a good working light, flashlight, trouble light, anything that will really light up all the potential areas. And, have a camera of phone with a camera ready.

All this will surely reveal the ACTUAL leak and, you'll then be assured of where it's coming from and, what to do about it. And, you can be armed with ammo against your selling dealer, with film!
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Well, the engine is actually quite clean. It's got a fresh coat of grey paint. I can clearly see that it's not leaking from above the oil pan. It's also not leaking from the oil pan itself. Most of the oil is on the rear of the pan, transmission housing, and starter. I just spent 20 minutes under there. I'm nauseous. Is the dealer required to fix it in Mass?
Old 04-30-2016, 09:20 PM   #8

Did the dealer have the engine installed or the previous owner? I assume the dealer would have farmed that out to a mechanic and their work should warrantied.

I would leave it as is (check your fluid levels) and get it back to the dealer to at least be documented.

I guess there is even the possibility that they just didn't clean it very well after the removal and installation of it if it was that recent.

97 Bounder 36S 460. Pulling as many quads as I can fit on the trailer or get started!
Old 04-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The previous owner replaced the engine just before trading it in.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:48 AM   #10

I would see if you could get a copy of the invoice or work order. There should be some warranty if it was a reputable shop.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:28 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The "Dealer" service department is probably not qualified to assess the problem and, more importantly, they're more concerned about their dog in the race, not yours. As stated above, I'd check fluids first but then get it to a shop that specializes in whatever chassis you have for troubleshooting. Sure, it will cost you a couple hundred bucks but you'll get more of a straight answer. Maybe it's something simple. If not simple, you'll have independent, professional diagnosis with which to approach the "Dealer". Not saying you'll have any recourse with the "Dealer", though. Most likely, you signed paperwork that specifically exempts them from any liability. Then again, if they said it was "fit and ready to go" and it becomes obvious that it was dumping oil all over their lot, as well, your lawyer may be able to help.

Bottom line, degreaser or chassis shop (after checking fluids).
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricco View Post
Well, the engine is actually quite clean. It's got a fresh coat of grey paint. I can clearly see that it's not leaking from above the oil pan. It's also not leaking from the oil pan itself. Most of the oil is on the rear of the pan, transmission housing, and starter. I just spent 20 minutes under there. I'm nauseous. Is the dealer required to fix it in Mass?
Another words, you STILL haven't pin-pointed the exact spot the oil's coming from. I'm not chastising you here. I've done a few hundred engines in cars/trucks/motor homes/boats and more and, if some one brought this problem to me, that's the very first thing I'd make them do before I'd touch it. Get it clean actually watch where the first drops are coming from. We all can assume lots of things but, until you actually see the spot it's coming from, you're chasing your tail. I do all my own maintenance and repairs. I've had my own "oil leak" issues and, that's the first thing I do, CLEAN IT, to see what's what. In some cases, the oil is emanating from points no where near the mess it makes.

As for taking it back to the dealer and "trying" to make them pay or, perform some sort of warranty. Well, unless you have, IN WRITING, a document that specifically spells out all of what's covered, including ANY ENGINE issues, I think you'll have a hard time making them take action on this issue. Especially since the engine was installed BEFORE they got their hands on it. I mean, we're talking three parties here. One, the original party that did that did the rebuild and or install, (if in fact it was even them and not an independant garage), two, the dealership from which you purchased the coach from and three, you.

So, it will be interesting to hear the outcome of this. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
So, I'm at work until 6:00. I did pick up some degreaser. I'm going to clean everything up when I get home, and crawl under there in the mud to see where it's leaking. I've narrowed it down to a rear main or possibly the oil cooler line where it connects near the oil pan. I hope it's that. But I'm not sure how hard a repair it would be.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
It appears that the leak is coming from an oil return connection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2566105150.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	125766