Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Rear Slide Problem

Good morning all, I am new to this site and have an immediate problem that I am hoping someone can help me with. Iím currently sitting at a campsite in the northwest and I noticed that the canvas cover that goes over the rear slide is all unrolled and laying on top of the slide. I suspect that there should be some type of spring that keeps the cover tight. Has anyone encountered this problem and what was the fix? I can roll it up by hand but am afraid to travel this way because the wind may unwind it in route. Thanks for the help. Hugh

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #2

How much rain water is pooled on top of the cover? If there is none, I would suggest that you attempt to remove the cover and store it until you get home and can get it fixed. Had a problem with one of mine last year and had to get a new spring assy for it. On each end there is a hole for a cotter pin to be inserted. I used a 16d nail. Close the slide, insert the pins and unbolt the hardware from the slide. Slide the whole thing out of the gutter and store it. While it does take two people to make it easier it only takes about 15 minutes to get it off and stored. If you cannot get it off where you are parked, then get a couple of really large cotter pins or two 16d nails, bend one end 90 degrees and insert them in the holes on each end. Then bend the other end to prevent them from falling out. Just don't forget they are there and attempt to open the slide. Otherwise you will have way more than a broken spring to deal with.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Don/Lorri, I'll remove the end caps and see if I can find the hole and assess whether a nail will restrict the rotation. Did you replace the spring assembly yourself?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #4

Do not need to remove the end cap. this is what holds the spring tension. There is a slot in the cap and when properly aligned you will see the hold.
No, I did not do it myself. Took it to a place and the labor was like 30 dollars.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #5

The slide toppers are just miniature trailer awnings. They all work the same way. If the spring snapped or the pop rivets broke holding the end caps your awning will not wind back up. Remove it and store away until you can repair the awning. Last year my awning unfurled while driving. I think the lever got put into the unroll position by a tree branch. It ruined the fabric. I replaced the fabric and freshened up the rest of the ratchet mechanism. It was pretty worn. It took 3 people pulling and guiding the fabric to get it engaged and through the fabric holder screwed to the trailer. Then it took another 2 hours to get everything back together. Parts are easily available.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 05-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Don/Lorri, The end cap that I was referring to is a decorative plastic cap at each end held on with one screw. All of the mechanism is under these caps. I did as you suggested and after I rolled it up by hand, I inserted an alan wrench into the hole and then replaced the cap to keep it from falling out. I am home now in the Seattle area and the local dealer said that they had a spring assmbly in stock and it would take less than an hour to fix. Thanks to all for the help.