hopefully this is helpful to someone one day
So, it turned out that the U bolt that holds the torsion rod in place was loose and allowing the axle to rotate slightly. I would imagine it could have gotten scary if it went unnoticed any more.
The bracket that holds the bottom the the air spring was a bit bent, but the steel beam was not bent (it was crooked because the axle itself was pulling the entire left side forward)
So, I took a 2,500 LB winch and connected it to the driver side of the axle on a bracket that holds the shock in place and I connected the other end to the frame on the passenger side. I cranked it down.
I then drove the bus backwards and forwards with slightly exaggerated turns right. And after one cycle of back and forth I would tighten down the winch.
Eventually the winch pulled it dead straight - in fact it got to a point to were two clicks on the winch would be too far and two clicks the other way would be not quite enough - it was easy to make the final adjustments, by looking from behind and eyeing it level. (have a buddy click the winch and release clicks til level) The bags lined right up. I tightened the U bolt on the torsion arm down.
I temporarily took off the bottom mount of the air spring, and hammered the weak bracket back up (and am going to have a friend weld in reinforcement beneath the bracket itself to be safe).
this would probably be much easier if you had something to lift up the entire rear end, then you could simply winch it into place and then tighten down the U Bolt, however I did not have a jack tall enough, not stands supportive enough, nor a budget grand enough to do it more properly, but this way could be useful for someone on a budget or in a pinch with limited supplies.