Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2019, 06:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
I'm trying to figure out how it held enough oil pressure to not damage the bearings, and why.....
Somebody in the engine assembly room didn't realize that there was an extra piston, rod and bearings in the tray (Look at what those idiots did, they sent 9 pistons for that engine)
the person who drove it out,
the person that moved it to the loading area,
the person who loaded it onto the truck or train car,
the person who unloaded it,
and then it took you to an obvious vibration and severe engine miss?

And we now want to complain about some of the little stuff on our coaches and trailers?
In school we put 2 engines together dry, put oil in one, ran them for a while, then pulled them down to compare wear.
As to the other points. Everybody except the person assembling the engine did there job...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
In school we put 2 engines together dry, put oil in one, ran them for a while, then pulled them down to compare wear.
As to the other points. Everybody except the person assembling the engine did there job...

So if you found a piston missing from your new engine in your new coach you would give a pass to the four (or more) people in the middle that drove your coach and didn't tell anybody about the serious miss and vibration?

OP: Actually that black stuff was sprayed on the inside of your tire so that the police could stop you and tow your coach, figuring that you will protest then they can use unreasonable force to arrest you and then tear your coach apart looking for the drugs that they say caused your irrational behavior.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:20 AM   #31

Rear tire leaking black fluid

It was the rear axle seal. The Freightliner Custom Chassis repair facility had to also replace the brakes on that wheel.

Their tech explained that sometimes the seal does not hold, or is not seated right (I am paraphrasing, there was way too many words for me to remember).

In any case, I have picked up the coach and so far no leaks. Wife is happy, and happy wife, happy life...

Thanks again for all posts about possible diagnosis and simple steps to follow to help the repair team know what is going on (pics, cardboard ..etc(

Have a great day.
Brian
Old 01-05-2019, 05:30 AM   #32

Glad you got this fixed AND quickly I might add. Now go use your beautiful new coach.

Oh...btw...when it comes to mechanical things not working right in our rig...the goal is to get husband happy, then happy life happens for everybody else!
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:28 PM   #33

Old 01-05-2019, 08:24 PM   #34

Great News

No doubt you'll never have this problem again. [Mod Edit] (things) happen. Could have been a defective seal or got torn on the assembly line or, or, or.
Enjoy your new MH and travel safely.
Lynn
Old 01-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #35

tires do not leak black fluid, it is the rear wheel bearing/grease seal leaking. it needs to be fixed before driving it farther than the shop for repair.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
tires do not leak black fluid, it is the rear wheel bearing/grease seal leaking. it needs to be fixed before driving it farther than the shop for repair.
Have a coffee, Then Read post #31.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the same problem and it was the real axle seal and it wasn't expensive to have it fix on our 36ft Tiffin Open Road ($87) a 4 yrs ago. Of course if you have a larger motorhome may cost more.
willbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #38

A co-worker of mine bought a brand new Mustang years back, he drove it home (he lived about 3-4 miles from the dealership) went to start it up the next day, motor was locked up! He found out Ford (or their motor vendor) forgot to to put oil in the engine!
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
After having worked in new car and truck dealerships things like this aren't new to me. A seal can be defective right out of the box or the axle where the seal rides could have been nicked or deformed and the defect missed on assembly. The seal may have been unintentionally left out entirely. Maybe the hub is out of spec. or out of round where the seal rests.
Back in the late 60's I was doing a new car delivery service on an Olds delta 88. The engine ran roughly and had a severe vibration at any speed. I found a dead cylinder so I removed the spark plug. It was badly fouled with fresh looking engine oil. I got a new plug and put it in only to have the engine run exactly the same way. I removed the plug and did a compression test. No compression at all. I pulled the head to check the valves etc. but when I got the head off I could look down into the cylinder right at the crankshaft throw. No piston or rod in there.
We ordered the parts, I installed them and the engine ran just fine. I saw the car in town for several years afterward and the owner never had any problem with it. Just a factory boo boo.
The shop manager had to do a complete quality control report on this repair which went to Olds.
Fact of life!
Lynn
wow, sounds kind of like a used buick regal I bought once . I knew it had a miss when I bought it. thought no big deal do a tune up and it should clear up. boy was I wrong. I finally ended up pulling the pan and there was a 3/8" ratchet extension jabbed between the broken piston skirt and JB welded into place rod was broke short so it wasn't hitting the cylinder walls to make any noise.

got a hold of the guy I bought it from and argued for a little while, finally gave me back $700.00 back. he knew that was out right fraud
Old 01-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I too suspect a leaking axle end gasket. I do not understand it being black though from a 2019 vehicle, it should still be brown=like new.
If it is at the inside of the wheel it isn't a axle gasket
Old Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:13 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphill2220 View Post
I cannot tell what kind of fluid is leaking from my rear inside tire.
If you have hydraulic brakes, it could very well be brake fluid from a bad wheel cylinder. Air brakes? Most likely differential fluid getting past a bad axle seal. When the rear brakes severely overheat, the seal tends to be effected in a not so good way. Fortunately, you can pull the inspection plug and determine if the axle seal is bad.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphill2220 View Post
I cannot tell what kind of fluid is leaking from my rear inside tire.
If you have hydraulic brakes, it could very well be brake fluid from a bad wheel cylinder. Air brakes? Most likely differential fluid getting past a bad axle seal. When the rear brakes severely overheat, the seal tends to be effected in a not so good way. Fortunately, you can pull the inspection plug and determine if the axle seal is bad.
The OP had it fixed in early January, check post #31. It was the inner seal.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, leak