Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Repair man...do you suggest also replacing the 6 pin with a 7 blade, instead of using the adapter? If I am going to change this up I want as little "Extra" wiring as possible. Thanks.
Dr Skully is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #30

Standard 7 RV style (6 flats and a round center pin) way wire colors:

White = Ground, 12 volt Neg.
Black = 12 volt Positive (aux power)
Red = Left Turn/stop
Brown = Right Turn/Stop
Green = Tail/Marker lights
Blue = Electric Brakes
Yellow = Reverse Lights

The wiring of your trailer plug looks like this. This is the reason for the converter box as you can see the trailer wants the combination of turn/stop where your motorhome is wired on separate turn/stop circuits as it has two separate bulbs for this function.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Right on...I just ordered the converter box and a new 7 blade plug to install. Appreciate the help.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Skully View Post
Right on...I just ordered the converter box and a new 7 blade plug to install. Appreciate the help.
The seven pin really only allows you to add reverse (back up) lights to your trailer. I tow a boat trailer occasionally that uses the reverse lights to deactivate the surge unit when backing up. Handy!!

You wont gain anything else over the 6 pin

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Repair man...do you suggest also replacing the 6 pin with a 7 blade, instead of using the adapter? If I am going to change this up I want as little "Extra" wiring as possible. Thanks.
NO . 4 pin ,5 pin ,6 pin or 7 pin has no bearing on what i tryed to explain to u and the adaper is needed in all cases except if u do it the way i said with the one way diods
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Repairman, I understand and should have been more clear on what I was proposing. I have the 6 pin plug, then to a 6 to 7 blade adapter, then to the RF brake controller, then finally to the plug on the trailer....so 3 connections. If i replace the plug it drops this to 2 connections and I also have another tandem flatbed trailer, 16', that uses the same 7 blade plug, which if needed I could also tow. Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Repairman, I understand and should have been more clear on what I was proposing. I have the 6 pin plug, then to a 6 to 7 blade adapter, then to the RF brake controller, then finally to the plug on the trailer....so 3 connections. If i replace the plug it drops this to 2 connections and I also have another tandem flatbed trailer, 16', that uses the same 7 blade plug, which if needed I could also tow. Thanks again.
That's the way I read your posts about the adapter...I've got three words of advice there:

Standardize them puppies!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Ha...LMAO....Exactly...standardizing is what i am a doing! Thanks
Old 11-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #37

Quote:
yes but u still need to get the seperated brake and turn on the MH system to mate before the RF controller.using 2 diods is cheaper and simpler
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, towing