Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #1

Rear TV Replacement

I have a 2004 Gulfstream Friendship G7 and there is a monster TV inside a cabinet in the bedroom. This cabinet has a couple of drawers for clothes, but I have been unable to figure out how to remove the TV without using a big hammer. I suspect is has something to do with the plastic sleeve that runs verticle along the cabinet having to be removed to proceed to the removal. Any ideas out there?
BlueGoose04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Can you post a few photos of the TV and it's cabinet?
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Pictures or acurate description is needed. Most that I have seen, including mine are in a wood cabinet with a wood frame. On the wood frame are wood plugs covering screws. USUALLY you can take a drywall screw and screw into the plug and then wiggle it and the plug comes out exposing the screw under it. Then remove the screws and the tv will be fastened in a manner you will find once the frame is removed. I just changed mine out last weekend and even though I had to drill my wood plugs out as they were glued in it was still no issue. Once the frame was removed my particular bedroom tv was screwed to a board from the bottom and help with a strap from the top.

but without knowing exactly how yours is configured it is hard to say what to do. Take a close up picture of the frame and cabinet.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #4

The front Sony TV in my Gulfstream also had a strap. The strap was constructed from a very tough material - I couldn't cut it. It was screwed to the base of the cabinet on one side then ran through a fixture glued on the top rear portion of the TV and down to the base on the other side where it was also screwed down. I had to have a friend hold the TV half out of the cabinet while I unscrewed the strap (after trying to cut with very powerful side cutters). I then pulled the strap through the fixture and we removed the TV. Hope this helps.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #5

TV Removal update

Here are a couple of pictures of the TV I need to remove. It does not readily slide thru the opening, so I am checking to see if it is wired down or something.

Name:   TV 1.JPG
Views: 665
Size:  26.2 KB

Name:   TV 2.JPG
Views: 633
Size:  27.6 KB
Old 02-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Looks like there are a couple of screws above the tv. My guess is there are more somewhere not visable in the photo, perhaps below the drawer?
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #7

Looks like the opening should just barely let the tv pass through. Pull the drawer and see if there is something on the bottom of the shelf the set is on that might release it.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #8

What is on the other side?

My guess is strapped or mounted to plate, screws from below into plate.

Second may be wood strapped to back, secured to cabinet by screws above TV but that would require rear access.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We had a similar set up in a 5-r we once owned except we had doors below instead of a drawer. Removed the doors & found the mfr had the TV secured to the shelf it was sitting on with 4 long screws run up through the bottom of the shelf into the bottom of the TV case. Yes, screws INTO the bottom of the TV. They were lucky they didn't screw into something inside the TV.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Pull your drawer completely out and look in it at the bottom of the TV. If you don't see anything there then take the faceplate of the cabinet off and I bet you will see either small "L" type brackets on either side of the TV, or a strap on the top, or a combination there of. There are only so many ways to secure it.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #11

Rear TV Replacement" update

First, thanks to everyone for their help but I finally broke the code. I lifted the bottom portion of the TV up with a big screwdriver and slid the TV forward until the bottom half was on top the opening. Holding the bottom so it wouldn't slide back, I pushed the top backwards as to tip the TV back on it's tube. Once on it's back, I slid the TV out feet first.

Who would have thunk it!

Have a great day all. Jim
Old 02-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGoose04 View Post
First, thanks to everyone for their help but I finally broke the code. I lifted the bottom portion of the TV up with a big screwdriver and slid the TV forward until the bottom half was on top the opening. Holding the bottom so it wouldn't slide back, I pushed the top backwards as to tip the TV back on it's tube. Once on it's back, I slid the TV out feet first.

Who would have thunk it!

Have a great day all. Jim
Show us your Replacement pics.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #13

Rear TV update

Sorry it took so long, here is the final picture. 29in Vizio LED with Blueray DVD. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGoose04 View Post
Sorry it took so long, here is the final picture. 29in Vizio LED with Blueray DVD. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.
Nice job Jim. Congrats!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement