Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Rear view camera/monitor acting up - VOYAGER

My Voyager system started acting up this past weekend. I have an older CRT system with one camera up on rear cap. Camera is enclosed in housing that appears just to be held on by adhesive caulking, which limits access to camera itself. Trouble I am having is picture, it is intermittent picture loss and video is breaking up on screen, acts like loose connection since monitor stays on, in other words not a power loss, does not appear to be cable loose at monitor end, can't check the camera connection without removal of housing (so far as I can tell). Night before this happened we had a hard rainstorm with significant wind in direction of camera. Initial thought when leaving was to turn off, go up road a while and let it dry out, then try. It did work significantly better, with occasional very short picture break up, but we were now on very smooth highway and no jostling taking place if bad connection.

Ideas??

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #2

I too would suspect a loose or corroded connection.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:25 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
UPDATE

Took motorhome back to storage last night and my suspicions I guess are confirmed. The monitor came on immediately, picture clear and sharp, no flicker, flash or video breakup. Bumps and shaking had no effect. I think the connection at the camera must be subject to getting wet and creating the issue. Has been dry and warmer for a couple of days.

Looks like I will have to remove the housing and check the connections and maybe attempt to seal them up.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #4

Yours might be very different from my Country Coach but inside the rear closet I have a small square flat panel that can be removed to access the back of camera.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 01-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #5

If the same issue shows up when the camera pick-up (at the back of the RV) is exposed to rain. You may have a moisture leak into the unit. This happened in our Gulfstream unit. My unit would do the same thing as you describe but only when it rained.
I built a simple cover just like a cap brim peak made from scraps of clear
plexi glass. A narrow strip on top of camera pick up and one on each side to prevent from water getting into the unit. Problem went away as it was always dry.

It did not effect the vision on the screen. Cost me $3.00
Old 01-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Had the same problem with intermittent picture on our Voyager monitor on our '08 Seabreeze. Took of the panel on top of the dash which gave access to the monitor and connections. Our problem was that when the cable was installed, it was stretched too tight and would come loose from the monitor port. Used a cable tie to pull the cord tight into the monitor port to hold it after I cut a small hole in the wooden camera support to reroute it. Haven't had a problem since .

Tags
camera, voyage