Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2016, 12:20 PM   #1

Reasonable % off purchase of new Class A

I've become more and more confused on what you should expect to get off MSRP for a new Class A motorhome.

Some have said 25% while others have said 35%! All I know is with the price of a larger Class A motorhome there's a big buck difference between the two percentages.

I know from buying cars there are those who have gotten a great deal while others left a bunch of money on the table. I'll be buying without a trade if that makes a difference?

We also know that "nobody" wants to admit they've made a bad deal. So what should I expect?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Like you I have heard many things. The figure I seem to see the most is 27% off MSRP. I've seen sales with better prices so I think a lot of it depends on where you are, the time of year and the popularity of the unit you want to buy. You have to factor all of that into the equation. Me, if I were buying new, I would be happy with 27% until I met someone who says they got a better deal. I started looking for new coaches two years ago and quickly discovered that the coaches with the quality I wanted were way more money than I wanted to pay. So I wound up with an 11 year old coach that was in great shape and had almost every option I could ask for. Good luck in your search.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #3

You will find different discounts with different brands. The Entegras will offer a higher discounts than the Newmars or Tiffins. It just depends on the brand and how they structure their MSRP. I have seen discounts into the 35% strata on Entegras while anything much over 27% is more rare on a Newmar.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There are a lot of variables. How long the MH has been on the lot vrs. having it ordered. Is it a unit near the end of the production year. How motivated is the dealer.
I bought my Dutch Star off the lot and got a tad over 30% off.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #5

You can get more off on a Cadillac than a Chevy Spark. You can get more off on a Newmar King Aire that has been on the lot than you can if you order a new Bay Star Sport. Only you can decide if you got a good deal.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #6

So you can generally get more off on a coach that's on the lot than one you would order? Do I have that right?
Old 03-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
So you can generally get more off on a coach that's on the lot than one you would order? Do I have that right?
Not really, cause you can have the dealers bidding against each other on factory order. Also the dealer has no floorplan costs on the factory order, it comes in they prep it and you pick it up. Easy money for a dealer so they can be a bit more aggressive to get your deal.

Now that said, if a dealer really wants to move a unit off of his lot he may get very aggressive.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:53 PM   #8

Companies like Newmar, Tiffin, Thor and Forest River to name some make gas and diesel coaches. Does gas or diesel make a difference as far as the percentage off is concerned?
Old 03-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #9

I bought a new 2011 in August (2012s were just out) and paid 42% off list. I figured my price, bid it as Out-The-Door price and they looked at me like I had 3 heads and said No Way. Well they took it....after a week.
You are always dealing with YOUR money. Dealers call me "difficult", but winning is great.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #10

I think it all depends on what the dealer has in the unit, just like cars, the time of year, his volume, timing, asteroids, etc. It looks like we're getting 32% off MSRP on the FW we have on order if, AND THAT'S A BIG IF, we have properly determined the real MSRP.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:21 PM   #11

My personal experience is that any offer of 70% of MSRP will buy any RV any day.

Most can be had for a little less than that, say 67% to 60% of MSRP on the right day, at the right time of model year.

Of course, this will be debated.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
My personal experience is that any offer of 70% of MSRP will buy any RV any day.

Most can be had for a little less than that, say 67% to 60% of MSRP on the right day, at the right time of model year.

I don't see how your personal experience can be debated! I do think some others have different experiences. I'm sure someone here has bought several coaches in a row for 80% off MSRP and they get 18 MPG on all of them. Just saying. LOL
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Reasonable % off purchase of new Class A

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post

I'm sure the OP will pay you a 3% commission if you can find the RV he wants for 60% of MSRP! Lol
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
I don't see how your personal experience can be debated! I do think some others have different experiences. I'm sure someone here has bought several coaches in a row for 80% off MSRP and they get 18 MPG on all of them. Just saying. LOL

There is a diff tween of and off MSRP

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, purchase