Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #1

rebuilding 78 southwind

Does anyone have the wiring diagrams for a 78 Southwind 28 ft with a 440 eng and dual a/c's.

After I bought this MH, I found out that the last owner loved to rewire stuff with phone wire and there are several wires cut off coming out of the wire bundle that I have no idea where they go plus most of the instrument panel is inop. the board is good but the wiring to it was a mess and most was phone wire which I removed and replaced as needed.
I installed gauges for temp,oil press and amps but the mess under the dash is like a birds nest.

Sure could use any help anyone can give like what Dodge chassie is this thing built on.

I think it is not later than 76 because the 440 engine has a dual ballast resistor and they stopped using them in 77 and went to the single ballast.

the VIN is 22M37118S2585 if this is any use to anyone. Dodge can't use it for look up as it is too old and it reads different than any other vehicles as the first number is supposed to be the year.

HELP!!!!
TRISTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Have you called fleetwood yet?
They'll send you the coach 12v and 120 volt diagrams.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #3

RE: rebuilding

Fleetwood has no info on this RV. The vehicle was made in Michigan and the company has since gone out of business.

Calls to Fleetwood produce nothing. They say they have no info for anything that old.

I have learned that the engine is a 78 truck 440 and stamping on the block is 8T440 EHP with a casting number on the block of 4006630-440-9 cast on 10/28/77 by the day crew.
The EHP means: E, a reinforced block. and the HP, I believe, means High Proformance but am unable to confirm that.
TRISTAR is offline   Reply With Quote