Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2016, 07:11 AM   #1

Rebuilding an Automotion Power Shade with a New Motor

I had the Automotion Power Shade, part $ 73551, fail on a recent trip and I investigated rebuilding since the shade itself is in perfect condition and only the motor itself failed. I did find a little bit of information but nothing directly applicable to my particular shade construction. However, I did find enough information to buy a RollerTrol motor that would fit and I rolled the dice on whether I could adapt it to make it work. Note that RollerTrol does have a write-up on their web site written by another IRV2 member, however the internal construction of his shade was different than mine.

Automotion will not sell a new motor and I wasn't getting good answers from a US vendor on buying a new shade, especially why it cost $50 for shipping from Florida using ground transportation. The shipping escalated replacement cost to nearly $300, which is why I attempted a rebuild. The new motor cost $118.

This shade is installed in a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742. Not sure what other manufacturers and years use this particular shade but it is likely that a number of them did. Attached is a pdf file with instructions and photos that I hope will help others who find themselves in the same situation.

If you have any questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer. I did the rebuild in August to my memory may be a bit foggy at this point
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just went through the same exercise this summer. The only piece I salvaged of the old parts from the automotion shade was the end plate after I had drilled the rivets. I modified the the "key" from the new RollerTrol shade and pop riveted it to the inside of the old end plate. Works like a charm. The rest of the process was identical to yours, even the mounting of the shade to a 2X4 to set the limits before reinstalling in the Coach. Sorry I didn't take pictures to show what I did.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #3

Frustrating you can't just buy a replacement motor.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:20 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I have done this repair twice, on both front shades of my 05 MountainAir. Both work much better than the original Automotion shade for several reasons: RollerTrol much nicer to deal with and they want your business; cheaper and better; programmable so the up/down stops are electrical instead of physical (I can't turn anymore), RollerTrol motors are designed to be adaptive to many applications and not designed to work only as an OEM part. Highly recommend RollerTrol and save the frustration of a run around with Automotion. Jim
JLDHELMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:40 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
When one of the shade motors in our Revolution died I did a search on the Automotion site for a local dealer/installer. I found one close by and they were able to source a motor.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:04 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
The motors are probably still good. It is the electronics in the limit switch that go bad. I am pretty sure it was on the Tiffin network that I read that you could bypass the limit switch. I tried it on a motor I had replaced and the motor works. If you bypass the limit switch you just have to stop the shade where you want it. Which I always did anyway.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:30 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
My motor broke into two pieces on the end near the mounting plate and were not usable except for boat anchors. RolerTrol looks like a much better design. Heavier probably since they are most often used in large automated shade projects. I first used them in an automated shade project across my deck that faced west. Couldn't be more pleased with my RolerTrol motors.
Jim
Old 10-04-2016, 07:05 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDHELMS View Post
RollerTrol motors are designed to be adaptive to many applications and not designed to work only as an OEM part. Highly recommend RollerTrol and save the frustration of a run around with Automotion. Jim
Wow, I explored the rollerTrol web site, very interesting, They even have adapted a Pi interface. After spending 30+ yrs designing automation controllers, the Pi has set a new low cost high function standard for dyi projects. Jim have you taken this leap? you could have the most automated blinds / coach available.... controlled by your pc, phone, ipad...

thanks for the post
Old 10-05-2016, 07:57 AM   #9

My Automotion visor goes up or down a 1/4 inch at a time. Does this sound like something to do with the limit switch or the motor itself?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Probably limit switch setting but I don't know much about how Automotion sets their limit. Probably available on their website. Jim
Old 12-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Pictures of Broken Shade Bracket

Went to the coach today and took some pictures. It looks like it is not an Automotion shade. I've attached a picture of the broken end, the motor (intact) end, and the fixed end on the driver's side. Looks like the shop used some kind of plastic putty or something similar.

Anyone recognize the brand? I'll also write Tiffin and ask, but my guess is that they will only have the entire shade as a replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	end shot cropped.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	147597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fixed end cropped.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	147598  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor end.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	147599  
Old 12-31-2016, 08:18 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I'll bet RollerTrol will adapt to this shade. If your shade rolls up on a tube, probably 1 5/8", the tube motors made by RollerTrol have a hard rubber drive wheel installed on the shaft that can be trimmed with a file to fit the ID contour of most tubes.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbhein View Post
My Automotion visor goes up or down a 1/4 inch at a time. Does this sound like something to do with the limit switch or the motor itself?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

That is how the Rollertrol motor operates during the operation to set the limits. Sounds like yours might be in limit settings mode.

Tags
power