Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #1

Question Recall clearance letters

Just looking for help on aquiring recall clearance letters for a 2004 Georgie Boy Landau i am buying. I am from Canada and purchasing this unit in florida. I think Georgie Boy has been bought out by Coachmen. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You. Bryan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Is that something official that Canada requires? You would need to be able to describe what is required and ask the shop doing the recall repair (or a recall check) if they would be willing to produce a document that meets your needs.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #3

You will require both a recall clearance letter from the coach manufacture and the chassis manufacture. Check on line to ensure that the RV you are purchasing can in fact be imported into Canada. I beleive you require the recall letters when you complete the federal inspection. I imported an RV last year and didn't have too much of a problem. If you have any other questions I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Cheers for now
Old 01-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #4

Here is the link to the Canadian impot info. This should answer most of your problems. http://www.riv.ca/VehicleAdmissibility.aspx
Don't forget that you will have to fax the paperwork to the US border crossing that you will be crossing back into Canada. It has to be there 72 hours before you cross. It is usually a good idea to call shortly after you fax the paperwork to ensure they had in fact received it.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #5

Just another thought, check your tires for year of manufacture. The last thing you need is to have a blowout while on the road. I also purchased Good Sams extended warranty so I was covered in case of mechanical problems. I bought mine in Flordia and drove back here to PEI in the maritimes.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #6

I found the link for the recall clearance letters http://www.riv.ca/RecallClearance.aspx can't beleive I still had that info. Just select your coach and it will provide you with the contact information to request a recall clearence letter. If the coach has a ford chassis and you have the VIN number you should be able to go into your local ford dealer and they should run a ckeck and give you an all clear. Hope all this helps
Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #7

I imported a National Dolphin Rv last year. National shut down in 2008 and so factory
does not exist. To import to Canada , RIV said I required a recall clearance letter from
the chassis manufacture , in my case Workhorse since it was their W22 chassis.
I used the serial # to check recalls (Workhorse site,2 where listed) and neither had been done yet. I booked an appointment with an authorized Workhorse service center(in Mesa,AZ.in my case) and had the recalls done a few days after picking up
the RV. This saved time and trouble of doing recalls there as Workhorse listed no
authorized service centers here in Manitoba. Later, when I arrived back home I went
to the Workhorse site and checked My Motor-home page. The recalls were now shown as complete, and none outstanding. I copied this page emailed it to RIV and was accepted. As mentioned before, be sure the RV is listed as "OK" to import to Canada.
Email them if in doubt, they are very helpful. Also note, once the RIV process is
started after getting home, you have 45 days to provide recall clearance letter and have the inspection done (at Canadian Tire).
General, I found the process went well with no surprises in my case.
GREGORYJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by staaly View Post
Just looking for help on aquiring recall clearance letters for a 2004 Georgie Boy Landau i am buying. I am from Canada and purchasing this unit in florida. I think Georgie Boy has been bought out by Coachmen. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You. Bryan
you just need to get the chassie done, the manufacture will provide for you. tthe process is easy.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #9

Did anyone that import to Canada do a trade as opposed to just a purchase?? If so did you have to pay taxes (HST) on the difference or on the full amount? And where do you pay the taxes? I think the federal taxes are paid at the border and the provincial taxes are paid when you plate?? TIA
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #10

Last Jan I imported our Winnebago into Canada. RIV required clearance letters both from Winnebago and Ford. RIV use the Ford VIN database to check for recalls and if that database query returns outstanding recalls RIV will notify you. Because I had one outstanding recall I had to take the MH to the dealer, have the work performed and then I faxed the completed work order to RIV. I had the letter from Winnebago within an hour of requesting it. It is no big deal and the savings are well worth the hassle (which really it is not).
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #11

Recall Clearance

Thanks for all the input. This is a learning experience.The issue I am having is I am purchasing a 2004 Georgie Boy Landau and i need clearance letters from Gorgie boy Inc and Ford. Georgie boy is out of business in 2004, bought out by Coachmen ,which went out of business in 2008, apparently bought out by Forest river. I called Forest river and was told to call there subsidury of Coachmen. Called Coachmen and was told they could not help. I might call RIV and see if they can give me some direction. Thanks again for all the insight. I will update on how i make out.

"Where there is a will there is a way"

Staaly
2004 Georgie Boy owner...maybe
Old 02-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #12

Recall...

Try the link, I just imported a Coachman and the Forest River rep gave me this link, it will tell you if there are any recalls but it won't say if they are outstanding to your purchase.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles
Old 02-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #13

If you cannot find what you need, call RIV. I have imported three vehicles (my MH being one) and they are always helpful on the phone if you have questions. I know that's hard to belive from a gov agency but it is true.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
FWIW, RIV does say you need it from the coach builder and the chassis builder but the last 2 mhs I imported, I only got them from the chassis manufacturer and it wasn't a problem (one of them was Tradewinds by National RV which has been out of business for years and I was able to import without any issue).

Not saying that won't ask for both but they haven't with mine.

Tags
recall