Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #15

4 door Norcold is probably a 1200/1210 series fridge
Should already have 2 fans in outside compartment with it installed in slide

They would be controlled by a t-stat attached to condenser fin (finned section at top of fridge---accessible via upper vent cover)
T-stat starts fans at 130*F and shuts down fans at 115*F (Fin Temps)
Fans enhance airflow (draft) which is required to remove heat from condenser and absorber tubes....especially when fridge is in a slide.

IF you do not hear the fans run..check t-stat
12V DC + comes form lower circuit board to t-stat then to fans.....so Red wire to t-stat should be HOT
Jumper t-stat wires and fans should run

Norocld 1200 Service Manual
https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/...68C_022707.pdf

Norcold 1200 Installation Manual
https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/...-Manual-AC.pdf
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 09 39Z Journey and installed the predecessor to the current Samsung RF-18. It went easily thru the front door with the fridge door removed along with the passenger seat. I also removed the stop bar on the door so it would open with the full door width available. It will fit where the current fridge is but you will need to remove the storage compartment above. Undoubtedly the best addition we have made. PM me if you want pix.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #17

The posts above pretty much cover all the points. My refrigerator struggled when temps were above mid 80s until I followed some of the suggestions mentioned above and on other threads. I added two circulating fans to the interior. One small fan was on the back of the bottom shelf to blow air up, and the other blew gently across the cooling fins up top. My refrigerator has the factory fans on the condenser fins but they don't come on until the temperature pretty too high. I added a couple 120mm computer case fans above the coils and hooked them up to my solar panel so they ran whenever the sun was out.

My refrigerator was improperly baffled from the factory and not being in a slide was easy for me to fix.

I did all the work myself and the parts were under $50 and it made the refrigerator much more immune to high ambient temps. In the heat of the day I do need to turn it up, and turn it back down after outside temps cool.

One thing to keep in mind regarding refrigerator fires is I believe they are much like a commercial airline crashes, very, very rare, but very dramatic. As such, there's a few things to keep in mind when reading about such things on forums.

There's an inherent bias in the information you receive on a forum. I'm not saying the forum members are bias, but the fact is that many people come to forums to talk about or ask about problems. People who are happily going through life with no problems with their RV are much less likely to post. It's bias in the data. I see it in all the different forums I belong to and there's been times I've worried my car is a problem model, and so is my motorcycle even if I haven't had any problems. Reading about OTHER people's problems sows the seed of doubt in my mind because its easy to keep perspective.

With that in mind, I want you to stop and imagine how many RVs that are out there on the road of all ages and types. The overwhelming majority of them have or had an absorption refrigerator. Of those, when just about all of them fail, they do so silently and without catching fire. It just quits cooling and that is that. My 1998 has the original Norcold 1200 in it and it's still working. The Norcold 1200 is one that is often mentioned when it comes to fires. Of course my 20 year old refer is a single data point but there has to be thousands of these refrigerators out there like mine that still work or have died a silent death without catching fire.

Fear of refrigerator fires is one of those that need to be put in perspective. You are in much, much, much, more danger driving down the road or crossing the street in city traffic when sightseeing. People talk about being afraid of refrigerator fires, but there much less talk about being afraid of space heaters, and many people run electric space heaters in their coaches. Space heaters cause house fires and kill people too. Another thing that does happen is called observer's bias. It's natural, we all do it. I've seen posts where a photo of a burnt RV is shown and a comment is made that it was probably a refrigerator fire. That assumption is more likely to be made than something else like an electrical fire, or a furnace fire, or engine fire. Thats' observer's bias, which adds even more fuel to the fear of refrigerator fires - so to speak.

I hope that adds some perspective to the issue of refrigerator fires. As to the problem your refrigerator is having keeping cool in high ambient temps: You may find that a couple simple mods may help.
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, recall