RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #15
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Location: Livingston, TX - This is our legal domicile/home base as we are FTers and travel around the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
There is an INCREDIBLE amount of conflicting information out there on the subject of which type of sealant to use. Watch this video, especially if you own a Winnebago motorhome - https://youtu.be/BJz7doxPQXg

I avoided silicone for years until I saw this video. These guys are the experts. I've used it ever since for my the roof cove on my Journey. You have to get the right stuff though. Siding and Gutter silicone is the secret. It goes on easy, stays flexible, and is much easier to remove than the acrylic stuff. Again, watch the video.
Well just to be clear to others that will stumble across this post, according to the video you posted from Lichtsinn.com (which I know they are a well recognized company)—from the Winnebago factory—the Silicone based material is for Full Body paint MH's only. Non Full Body paint MH's they used the Manus-Bond. I used the Nuflex 640 Thermoplastic bonding material which was recommended as a equal substitute. I read many posts & considered using Eternabond Tape along the whole roof seam, but decided against it for many reasons and after evaluating my entire roof redo plan. I did however use Eternabond Tape on my front & rear roof caps. I outlined this process in my previous post above, Finally the roof is done!

I think the most important point that all of us Winnebago owners need to take heed to is, because of the proprietary roof design that they use, it's VERY important to continually watch & maintain this roof cove area.

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #16

I never used a roller when I applied the Eternabond, but I did do it in the summer where there was plenty of heat already. I just made sure the roof fiberglass was clean. It come out perfect. I done this like six years ago and I never have to worry about re-caulking. I never did apply any around the vents because I never had any problems there like I did on the top, end caps where they meet. Do it in the summer time and you should have no problem with Eternabond sticking.

I agree that the roller thing is a pain, I never used one and that statement about a chemical reaction??? Never heard that one before. That applies only to rubber tires.

RayChez1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #17
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Location: Livingston, TX - This is our legal domicile/home base as we are FTers and travel around the country.
Recommendations from Winnebago

Now that this subject has come up again, I went back to all my info. and now will document it.

• I’m attaching the 2012 Winnebago Sealant Call-Out Sheet as a PDF - This callout sheet is right out of my Operators Manual Supplement

• As you can see in the Legend in the top left hand corner…
NOTE: Sealant E may be substituted for sealant C in painted locations.

Well as you look at the Call-Out sheet that accounts for almost everything (including the roof cove) except a few items ON TOP of the roof. Pretty much everything else is either Sealant C or E. And “E” can be substituted for “C”.

• What is sealant “C” part# 072889-10-000? It’s Manus Bond
Definition: A Urethane Sealant

• What is sealant “E” part# 094401-04-000? It’s Stone Mason Gutter & Siding Sealant
Definition: Stone Mason Gutter & Siding Sealant is a high quality, low cost, one component thermoplastic sealant for use on many common construction materials.

• What is NuFlex 640?
Definition: NuFlex 640 is a Thermoplastic Sealant is a one part, co polymer, high performance sealant. The cured sealant exhibits good physical properties including excellent adhesion to a variety of construction materials including marine surfaces. It possesses rubber-like characteristics and can be compressed or extended.
FEATURES:
• Excellent adhesion to most substrates
• Remains permanently flexible
• Cures in 24 hours
• Paintable
• Non-staining
• Available in a plastic cartridge
• Ideal for gutters, eaves troughs, flashings, and siding!

So in summary here’s what we can say:
If Sealant “E” (a thermoplastic sealant) can be substituted for Sealant “C” then either Stone Mason Gutter & Siding Sealant or NuFlex 640 can be used in all Sealant “C” areas.

Now I’m not trying to sell Nuflex 640 or anything like that, but just trying to bring the facts of what can & is recommended to use. I chose Nuflex 640 because as I said, it is a Thermoplastic Sealant which has all the same properties as Sealant “E” and was recommended as a perfect substitute and cost a lot less the time I purchased it. It can be used on all areas on the MH that call for Sealant “C” which is basically almost everywhere except the for the few items directly on top of the roof.

Notice that none of these Recommended Sealants or approved substitutes are Silicone based. They are either Urethane or thermoplastic based sealants. Now “silicone based sealants—according to the video that was posted earlier in this thread—can be used on Full Body Paint MH’s but I have no experience or knowledge of this area, so I’m not going to comment either way on that one.

I've also attached pics me applying NuFlex 640 on one of my bay doors but did this process on the entire MH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	manus-bond-sealant.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	154684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stone-Mason-Roof-Sealant.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	154685  

Name:	nuflex640.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	154686   Click image for larger version

Name:	siding-nuflex640-taping-off.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	154688  

Name:	siding-nuflex640-finished.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	154689  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf callout sheet.pdf (180.6 KB, 18 views)
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #18

hello Marjoa,

Thanks for your treatise last year on sealants. Have you ever "played" with Lexel by Sashco? It is claimed to be a rubber elastomeric sealant, that sounds as if it is kin to NuFlex 640. At 1/3 the price and multiple good reviews, I am considering applying it to my Winnebago roof, along the sides, where the top meets the gutter. It runs $9/10oz tube (clear) at Lowe's.

naugens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof