Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosmac View Post
We plan to keep our home and RV part time, just the two of us. No kids or pets. No telling how long we would stay on the road. I would imagine some shoter trips at first until we get the hang of things.
We won't be selling our home or jumping into this fulltime just yet.

Oh, one other question, when buying used RV's from a dealer, is there a rule of thumb regarding bargaining with the dealer ?

Thanks again.
I live in an RV park in my RV and am looking for something smaller. I have not listed it for sale yet but this is a brief description of it.

2000 Tiffin Allegro Bay 36' double slide, V 10 ford chassie 43,000 miles and I am 2nd owner. Side by side frig, full bath, micro/convection , 2 roof AC units, and heaters, fantastic fans, electric steps, washer/dryer hookup, queen bed and tons of storage, with several basement storage areas. I put new house battries, new inverter, and new front heater blower motor in. Going to put new bath sink in and possibly new blackwater tank. I am asking 10,000.00 below dealer retail. If interested let me know.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After having bought 2 brand new RV MH...I am done buying new. I went from a 34 foot to a 38 foot. More room and lots better floor plan. IF I do change out in the future I would look at lightly used and low miles. Seems to be lots out there for various reasons. Lots of floor plans...zero in on what fits your life style.
Good Luck and have fun.

Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #17

Go for the bones first.

22.5 Wheels
2006 or newer Ford Chassis
Fiberglass one piece roof
Dual Windows
The longest wheel base you can get 228 or longer if you can. It makes it drive easier.
Dual Air
Slides (each one large)
Full body paint (looks cool)
Old 05-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimooo View Post
In my opinion for used MH I think that 25-35% off NADA low retail would be an excellent value ,
Right now is a buyers market for MH.

Good luck,

James
We just bought an 04' Journey, and our experience certainly doesn't match your claim. We recently spent ten days shopping hard in FL. At one point we were looking at a long row, maybe eight to ten units, all late 90's to mid 2000s diesels. Most were not even in a condition that I would accept, much less pay $30K more than my idea of fair value for. The salesman walked with us and was checking his inventory sheet. Asking prices were in the $60-90K range. All the units were in stock less than a month, and all were either sold, or had deposits. This was a huge dealer that simply could not keep older, lower priced diesel units in stock. In the end we found a meticuliously maintained, one owner rig that had six new Michilens, and about $8K in recent repairs and maintenance. We paid low retail, and were relieved to find something that nice for the money.

We spent months shopping, and yes there are lots of individuals out there who would lover to sell older coaches from their yard. However, that doesn't mean that it's easy to find one worth buying. Many are either scrap, or the owner wants you to get them out of the financial hole they put themselves in by oweing far more than the thing is worth. As for the dealers? Record level sales of towables nationwide. In FL. many are expanding as fast as they can, with huge additions to their lots and new locations. I just spoke to a dealership owner here in eastern PA. who told me that they are on track for their second record breaking year in a business that has be operating since 1974.

On several occasions, while looking at privately owned coaches, I tossed a low ball offer at the seller. The offers were in the 20-25% below low retail range. Twice the response was that my offer was below what the local dealer offered for a straight cash sale. Buyer's market? After a long search, I didn't see one.............
Old 05-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
After having bought 2 brand new RV MH...I am done buying new. I went from a 34 foot to a 38 foot. More room and lots better floor plan. IF I do change out in the future I would look at lightly used and low miles. Seems to be lots out there for various reasons. Lots of floor plans...zero in on what fits your life style.
Good Luck and have fun.
Sounds good but,
How and Where do you find these ?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
I found 2 on RV registry for sale which could meet your needs. Nice brands for $50K or less. These are both diesel pushers and 2004 model year. I would not personally look at anything older than this unless you are very mechanically inclined. This Phaeton is priced $10K under book, while the Knight is probably overpriced by $10K. Try looking at these: www.rvregistry/used-rv/154298.htm# or www.rvregistry/used-rv/148872.htm
You really need to get out to the RV shows and motorhome dealers in your area to see the quality of products in your price range as there are wide variations in quality. You also need to see floorplans which better serve your needs. You may also buy a new gasser in the $50K -$60K range. Good luck! Mark
Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #21

How do you evaluate a used RV?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
I would evaluate a used motorhome the same as a used automobile. I look to the wear and tear of the inside & outside of the coach and compare with year and miles on odometer. If buying directly from owner, ask for maintanence records. Check date on tires as they are very expensive and dates on batteries. Check outside for body damage all around and under coach. Look for rust, or any evidence of water damage. Open all cabinets and observe any odors and look for water leaks. It is very difficult to get rid of smoke or pet odors. Maybe order a Carfax report. Have coach inspected by a qualified mechanic to determine any chassis deferred maintanence, oil leaks, air leaks, etc. On the inside of coach, look for wear and tear on furniture, sinks, countertops, shower. Make sure everything works properly. Some coaches have low miles but are completely worn on the inside due to full time living or the coach heavily used as a rental. Others may have high mileage but hardly used inside. I use NADA guides to find values and try not to pay more than low book value with no added options.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosmac View Post
Hi all,

We are recently retired and would like to relocate from the midwest to a better climate but can't decide on a location. Just so happens we met a couple that told us that they had dealt with the same problem by roaming around the country for a year in an RV until they found an area they loved.

We have always wanted to see some of the national parks out west so we thought why not try an RV for a year. That way we could search for a new home and see some of the national parks out west.

I have been looking at listings for used class A's and there seems to be a ton of used Georgie Boy's and Damon's for sale.
In the RV world are they considered high end or more low end ?

I'm not very handy or mechanically inclined so I'm looking for a dependable, reasonably priced, used class A in the 28'-30' range.
Do you have any recommendations ?
just one piece of advice,do not buy anything that's been in sea air along
the ocean coasts,the rust will destroy a rv.
dealers cover this up well look at the frame and anything that is steel or metal
good luck also buy a brand that they are still in business
Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacdubonnet View Post
just one piece of advice,do not buy anything that's been in sea air along
the ocean coasts,the rust will destroy a rv.
dealers cover this up well look at the frame and anything that is steel or metal
good luck also buy a brand that they are still in business
If the dealers hide it, how does a newbie like me figure out where to look?
Please explain. Do I get under the coach with a flashlight. How would I know where to look ?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twosmac

If the dealers hide it, how does a newbie like me figure out where to look?
Please explain. Do I get under the coach with a flashlight. How would I know where to look ?
Now I see you have cross posted and have decided on a motorhome - not a boat and have a $50k budget and use plan.

To evaluate - even when you know what to look for - you hire someone to do a house inspection - someone to do a mechanical inspection - and drive it. You may even have the fluids tested. Search PDI here and you will find many answers.

Glad you made up your mind. You will enjoy the RV lifestyle.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #26

How much traveling are you planning to after you found the place yu want to settle?Do you have your mind set on a motorhome? If you are not that mechanically inclined, have you considered a newer, reliable pickup and towing a trailer/5th wheel? As an avid motorhomer, I am full aware of the advantages of a motorhome, but for some folks, a trailer may be better for some. A fairly new $35k pickup and a $15k trailer will probably give you much better reliability that a $50k motorhome, especially considering you want to stay below 30 feet on the motorhome!