Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2912N View Post
Horse mats can vary from 1/2 to 1 in. They work great for many purposes...just be aware that a full mat is freaking heavy! You will want help to move it around before you cut it.
You are right about the mats being heavy. One of the guys at Tractor Supply put it in the back of my pick-up, and I cut it off about 16 inches at a time. This made it much more manageable. These mats are 3/4" thick.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #30

tire barriers

Sounds an awful lot like a solution searching for a problem-maybe stems from the day when grampa would put the old tin lizzie up on blocks for the winter, drain the water so it wouldn't freeze and make sure there was a hole in the shed wall so the old tomcat could prevent mouse damage to the seats.

A board game a few years ago had a draw card that enabled you to buy insurance against roving bands of chickens, this sounds a lot similar.
easy RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #31

Another thought, since the conversation has turned to rubber or rubber type mats is rubber interlock flooring (like you will see in town hockey rinks). I bought like 6 or 8 pieces for $10 at a close out home supply store, Mr. 2nds in WNYork State. Wanted something to cushion my kayaks on my small utility trailer that we pull behind the MH sometimes. They are like 24"x24" by about 3/4" thick, with fingered edges to interlock. Cheap and work great as cushioning pads, never gave them a thought about putting them under the tires during storage, or sitting in the drive during season.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
I often have thought that plastic cutting boards would be good tire protectors. The kind you often find in the $ store for a couple of buck each.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
I often have thought that plastic cutting boards would be good tire protectors. The kind you often find in the $ store for a couple of buck each.
Yep, That'll work!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival
That's what we use. Anything to put a barrier between the concrete and the tire.
free2rv4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
RinkersRanch,
Thank you the horse mats look like the will be perfect. We have a Tractor Supply about an hour from us next time ove will pick one up if they stock them. How thick are they?
Horse stall mat from Tractor Supply is the way to go. You can cut to any size you need for tires or landing pads. Get the 3/4" pad. Is really heavy duty material and should hold up really well.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:15 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A fellow enthusiast recommended I use pads when storing my coach to avoid flat spots and contact with cement when in a static position so my OCD impulses told me it is a good idea. I'm using dense rubber compound matts purchased from Amazon. They were cheap, are about 1" thick and very heavy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1362.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	140312
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1363.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	140311
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:51 AM   #37

Go look around a local truck stop, pick up a couple of old Mud Flaps off big rigs, or buy some. That is what my tires set on to keep them off the concrete.
Happy Trails
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:36 AM   #38
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only reason I would use them on cement is to prevent anything that leaks from getting to the tires. Otherwise there is no problem with cement it is the asphalt surfaces in storage areas and long term parking on ashphalt that can contaminate the tires. So I have been informed.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #39

I cannot believe that people still buy in to this crap. With the exception of Wayne M's point, not a bit of this is supported by any science or data.

Tire rubber is one of the toughest, most chemically resistant products (in their intended environment) on the planet.

Water intrusion? are you parking in puddles deeper than the tread blocks? If the tires are "seeping" air just how is water at atmospheric pressure supposed to get past that 80 psi air?

Flat spots? These aren't glass belt bias tires...

Alkali? If you aren't getting chemical burns from walking barefoot on concrete your tires aren't either.

Some of you guys need to go visit you barber for a good bleeding....
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #40

Iride motorcycles and am on a few of their forums. Let's just say to be polite here, some can be quite anal when it comes to motorcycle maintenance or riding apparal. Between constantly lubing the Johnson rods, adjusting this or replacing that. You get the picture.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
an ordinary set of rubber automotive floor mats are under my tires when in storage on concrete floored shed. About 20 bucks total.
same here.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:18 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We purchased our mats from Amazon.com. Referred to as Rubber-Shark-Tooth-Heavy-Duty-Mats available in various sizes. Their certainly heavy and stay in place. May be overkill but we're willing to use them if it helps protect our coach tires during storage.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Shark-...Duty+Mat&psc=1

Attachment 140312
Attachment 140311[/QUOTE]
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, ace