RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #1

Recharging dash air

I was wondering about recharging my dash air. I have a 2003 workhorse 8.1. The air works for a while after mechanic charged it.
I saw at pep boys the DIY stuff.
Help. Going thru Mohave in a few days.
It must have a leak.
Thanks
TB

Telephonebil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telephonebil View Post
I was wondering about recharging my dash air. I have a 2003 workhorse 8.1. The air works for a while after mechanic charged it.
I saw at pep boys the DIY stuff.
Help. Going thru Mohave in a few days.
It must have a leak.
Thanks
TB
If it has a sight glass just add refrigerant until it is perfectly clear, no bubbles. It will just leak out again though. All auto style air conditioners leak a bit and eventually the seals will leak and should be replaced. IE; O rings etc. If it does have a sight glass you can check it for bubbles before buying the charging kit. Good luck and keep us posted.

Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That should work fine - the system is no different than any car or light truck and the instructions that come with the kit apply. I did it for a couple years on our diesel pusher cause I got tired of replacing seals every couple years. Seal leaks are slow enough that recharging once or twice a year is sufficient. If it leaks enough to need frequent recharging, get it fixed.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
If it has a sight glass just add refrigerant until it is perfectly clear, no bubbles.
That used to work with R12 but R134A never runs clear as a liquid. So sight glasses are useless on a R134A system. You are about 25 years out of date.

Richard
RLS7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Buy a recharge kit with a gauge... one can should be enough.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #6

I just did mine and it's blowing ice cold. Took 2.5 cans.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
too little coolant and it blows warm, too much coolant and it blows warm.... so the trick is to get just the right amount. Best way is to measure the amount you put in, but in your situation I'd add one can and then check the dash vent temp, add 1 can at a time and give it some time to equalize..... when it hits 40 at 80 ambient or 44 at 90 ambient that is enough. Make sure your out side vent air intake is closed and staying that way when you are up hills. I no longer use r-134 or r-12... Envrio-safe refrigerant is better, you use less and you don't have to pull a vacuum to install it. google it.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS7201 View Post
That used to work with R12 but R134A never runs clear as a liquid. So sight glasses are useless on a R134A system. You are about 25 years out of date.

Richard
Sounds like you have been talking to my Wife.

I guess the fact that I did not mention any particular refrigerant and said "if it has a sight glass" was lost to you.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #9

Thanks once again for the great replies.
I had it filled yesterday by the shop. I watched everything he did. He only used a red and blue. I never saw the yellow one that I saw on a vid. Guess I'll head on down to parts store. I'll run the air until it no longer runs cold? Then I'll attempt to fill it.
TB
Telephonebil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:56 AM   #10

Quote:
I had it filled yesterday by the shop. I watched everything he did. He only used a red and blue. I never saw the yellow one that I saw on a vid. Guess I'll head on down to parts store. I'll run the air until it no longer runs cold? Then I'll attempt to fill it.
TB
Find a seal replacement kit for your model follow the instructions or ask on this forum. There are allot of members who have already done it.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:23 AM   #11

Quote:
TB
I'm not sure what this guy was doing - but that's not normal. Maybe his yellow (center hose) wore out and he replaced it with a hose he had laying around (a red or blue). Colors of hose is not important - but the connections are.

Normally the red is connected to the "high-side" port and blue to "low-side". Sometime the hose ends are different size, sometimes an adapter is used on the high side hose. The yellow goes to refrigerant canister or vacuum pump depending on the operation.

When the system is being charged it is charged through the low-side. The low side (blue) knob is opened to allow refrigerant to flow from yellow to blue. Never open the red side when compressor is running or you can put enough pressure into can/refrigerant canister to explode it.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
too little coolant and it blows warm, too much coolant and it blows warm.... so the trick is to get just the right amount. Best way is to measure the amount you put in, but in your situation I'd add one can and then check the dash vent temp, add 1 can at a time and give it some time to equalize..... when it hits 40 at 80 ambient or 44 at 90 ambient that is enough. Make sure your out side vent air intake is closed and staying that way when you are up hills. I no longer use r-134 or r-12... Envrio-safe refrigerant is better, you use less and you don't have to pull a vacuum to install it. google it.
I looked at their website and it looks interesting. How long have you been using this product and did you see any improvement in cooling. my system works as it should but cooler air would be welcomed. Thanks for any info.
Tom
MoCoTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
I looked at their website and it looks interesting. How long have you been using this product and did you see any improvement in cooling. my system works as it should but cooler air would be welcomed. Thanks for any info.
Tom
The evaporator should be just above freezing, hence the 40 degree discharge air temp at the register. If it could be cooler then it probably should be cooler.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just charged my 2002 DP a couple of months ago. Nothing to it.
Grab one of the kits from the auto parts store that comes with a gauge, plus another can of refrigerant only. The directions are simple and you only fill from the low side (never even touch the high side) and you're done.

TowDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, charging, dash, dash air