Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #1

Recoated roof with EPDM - Questions

This weekend I decided to recoat my roof with the Dicor EPDM product. What a nightmare this turned out to be. I followed the directions and cleaned off the roof. I removed all A/C, hatch, fridge etc covers and then masked off the entire RV with high quality blue painters tape. Then covered the entire RV with drop cloths. I sprayed the Dicor step 1 activator and waited 15 minutes before using a stiff brush and a hose to wash it off. Unfortunately, even though I was very careful with the hose, the tape and plastic drop cloths peeled off the RV. I didn't notice this for a few minutes and when i did I sprayed the side of the RV. I ended up having to rewash the entire RV. After drying I noticed streaks/stains on the driver side and a few on the passenger side. I scrubbed the sides, but the streaks did not come off. I'm hoping some rubbing compound/polish will take them out because I don't want to do the entire ZEP process again.

Anyways, I then coated the roof with the Dicor white EPDM paint. I edged around everything and it seemed like a put on 2 fairly heavy coats of the coating (per the instructions). However, I barely used 2 gallons. My RV is 37' long, has fiberglass end caps that cover about 2 feet on each end, 3 large skylights, 3 ceiling vents/hatches, 1 fridge vent, 1 bathroom vent and 1 antenna. I was told that the coverage was 125 sq feet and that I needed to buy 4 gallons to be safe. Not sure if I did something wrong, but it ended up looking good. In the before photo, I never noticed those lines in the roof before. Anyways, any suggestions or comments on the lines or the fact that I only used 2 gallons? Do I need to do a third coat or can I just touch up this as needed?

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #2

WOW... I did not use the Dicor product ...I had used the Liquid roof product and I did one coat last season...on my 34 footer (3 gal) and then went with the final gallon as touchup. It is my belief that you can save the rest for future touchup.

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #3

I decided to return the remaining 2 gallons. I coudn't see keeping $200 worth of the stuff especially if it last around 5 years (per Dicor). I just hope it went on thick enough. The 2 coats I did looked thick. Any thicker and it would have globbed up in puddles. Not sure if my roof was really smooth or what. I just hope it lasts.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:16 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Not sure where you were on the completion picture but I see enclosed race type trailers all around, I also did my Race trailer with 2 coats, only I used Kool Seal.
Nice Job !
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #5

Thor... If the chat on this site is any indication on the quality of the DICOR...I am sure it is as good as the Liquid Rubber....and I am up on the roof 5 times per month as I complete and tweek my solar stuff. The coatings really hold up under all the stress and traffic.... and wash well too (which is equally important) ... I use a mild dish soap and some COMET w Bleach as my cleaning agents along with either a mop or car wash brush to scrub the roof. never any issue and no sign of fading .... I am pleased with these coatings.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof