Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2019, 08:56 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Recomendation for Class A coach that can sleep 8

I have a friend that is looking for a good Class A coach that can sleep 8 comfortably and tow 15,000lbs. This seems a little unreasonable to me, but it is what he is looking for. He found a Berkshire XLT that he likes, but I am a little apprehensive about quality. I would like to see him looking at Tiffin, Newmar, Entegra, etc. But he does not like any of the floor plans on the brands I would recommend.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
Community Moderator

The 15,000 tow capacity is going to be a tough one, plus not have the coach overloaded with 8 people aboard and all their gear.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My CC would do fine except for the 8 people. Weight isn't the problem, but seating would be since I have the free standing dinette chairs.
I'm not sure they even make what he is looking for, maybe one of the Dynamax custom built with mire seating?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #4

The Forest River Berkshire has several floor plans that can accommodate 8 people. I'm not sure about the towing capacity. As far as sleeping comfort goes, some of your guests would either have to be fairly small or very, very good friends.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #5

None that I have seen or ever heard about.

8 in a MH (or any RV) would be something that I would pay money to see after the first trip.

Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #6

LarryJB-

A Super C might better meet those specs, such as the Dynamax "Mr_D" suggested..
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Hmmmm..
You "might" want your friends to check this one out..(there may be more "bunk" units listed as well)
2007 Country Coach Affinity Bunk Beds - Premium Coach Group
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #8

No matter how many people the coach will sleep, it will still have, at most, 1 1/2 baths. It will still have only so much storage space, even if you discount the extra thousand pounds of weight. 15,000 pounds sounds like allot to tow. Maybe one of those built on a Tractor chassis.

Met an old timer on the road a long time ago and his quote still sticks in my memory..."no matter how big they are they are only built for two people"

Almost sounds like a hoax.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe the guy wants to pull a large TT.

That's a lot of weight behind a already heavy rig !
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Hmmmm..
You "might" want your friends to check this one out..(there may be more "bunk" units listed as well)
2007 Country Coach Affinity Bunk Beds - Premium Coach Group
This is a cool find. CC quality plus unique layout
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #11

That sounds like a touring entertainment troupe.

www.busforsale.com Lots of choices, none cheap.

Entertainer's coach on Prevost or VanHool chassis with front/back lounge (or back state room), bunks in multiples of 3.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
He has always been a "Tim Allen" sort of guy, you know "MORE POWER!". He is always wanting to tow more, and carry more people. Right now he wants to tow a huge Harley and a Ford Explorer. Who knows what he will want to tow next. He also insists he needs to sleep 8. This include 2 grands and their parents. I have told him he is not being realistic, but he is still looking.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
No matter how many people the coach will sleep, it will still have, at most, 1 1/2 baths. It will still have only so much storage space, even if you discount the extra thousand pounds of weight. 15,000 pounds sounds like allot to tow. Maybe one of those built on a Tractor chassis.

Met an old timer on the road a long time ago and his quote still sticks in my memory..."no matter how big they are they are only built for two people"

Almost sounds like a hoax.
There are 2 bath models!!

But point taken, what this guy is looking for pretty much doesn't exist rolling out of the factory. It's do-able, but we are talking about an expensive custom job.

"Sleeping 8" is really a question of definition and depends on the people. 2 adults and 6 kids ranging from ages 0-12, ok, that's no problem. 8 "adults?" Realistically even the biggest coach is not going to sleep more than 4 adults comfortably unless they are college students or hippies or otherwise accustomed to such a lifestyle. Two couples is definitely possible, even with a few kids, if you have a two-bath model or will regularly be staying places with good external accomodations. And again, it all depends on the breakdown of those 8 people.

As far as towing 15k lbs, that's going to have to be a diesel, and probably a 600HP diesel like a Cornerstone. As far as I know, most of the huge diesels are built for retired couples to live in, so they sleep like 4 max. That's not to say there isn't room to add a bunkhouse, you're just talking about customizing an already expensive, high-end coach.

So it certainly can be done, but this guy seems to have some unrealistic expectations about what is possible.

I wouldn't want to ever sleep 8 in an RV for an extended period of time.
CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #14

To carry 8 people, the coach would have to have 8 sets of seat belts. I am not aware of any coach that can meet that requirement.

Tags
class a