Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2014, 04:29 AM   #1

Recomendations for a large brush....

I'm looking for a large rv brush and pole to wash rig with, recommendations please. Any other washing tidbits would be appreciated to like easy wax choice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 05:03 AM   #2

Depending on exterior finish brushes may be "not recommended" for many coaches. Might need to look at lambswool wash mitts.

bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2011 View Post
Depending on exterior finish brushes may be "not recommended" for many coaches. Might need to look at lambswool wash mitts.
Noooooooooooooooo....I have dreams of an 18" brush making life easier....
Old 04-09-2014, 05:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
OK, here are my secrets... but don't tell anyone.

Microfiber mop on a pole to the rescue. The mop head is super soft and holds lots of soapy water. I use the one from Griot's Garage Wash Mop Stick Kit - Cleaning Tools - Car Washing - Car Care - Griot's Garage. You can wash your coach significantly faster with a wash pad on a pole over doing it with a mitt. For wash soap and wax I use Optimum products. Found them to be high quality, easy to use, well prices and smell good.

A suggestion to help avoid water spots after you wash. A detailing trick I learned years ago, use a steady stream of water rather than a spray to rinse after washing. I have an inline shut off valve followed by a 12" section of hose at the end. Use this stream to rinse and the water will sheet off much better than using the spray from a nozzle, leaving few droplets to spot. Also handy, quick and safe for the finish, as long as you keep it clean, is a Water Blade. It's a body squeegee made of silicone. Removes any water fast and easy.

The wax is liquid which you just put in a spray bottle, spray it on and use a microfiber cloth to remove immediately. No worrying about doing it in direct sun, no drying and fighting to remove. Wax on, wax off, easy peasy. Wash and wax the entire coach in a few hours and the wax lasts 6 months in my experience. I order the Optimum wash (OPT-201) and wax (OPT-101) on the web from Autopia Car Care Autopia Car Care Products - Car Detailing Supplies, Car Wax, Car Polishers, Auto Detailing. They have lots of great detailing tips on the site too.

Last item is 303 Protectant for the tires. It is the standard for tire care.

There you go, everything I know. Enjoy your clean coach.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Window Washer's brush.. Any Janitorial supply or Fuller Brush Co.

I use a Van Wash brush, this is a common flo-through auto wash brush but the handle extends into a full length mop handle.. This is what I use both one the roof (extended because I am standing) on the top half of the sides (extended I'm feet on the ground) and on the bottom half of the sides (handle retracted feet on ground) the only thing I do not use is the flo-through feature.

Nearly all van/car wash brushes have threaded on heads and threaded handles. and it's a standard broom handle thread or painter's pole thread.. Yup, I got one of those too, six to 12 feet long.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #6

Keep em coming....
Old 04-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #7

Montana Boar's Hair brush from Autogeek (or others). It's 18 inches. Montana Original Tri-Angle Boar’s Hair Car Wash Brush is a soft, gentle car wash brush for cars, trucks, SUVs, and boats. Auto wash brush boar hair
Old 04-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #8

The best is aero cosmetics Washwax.com
Designed for airplanes, waterless wash and wax. Been using on my coach for 5 years, and it looks great. Very easy, dual sided mop has wet side and dry side. Check out their internet stater kit. You will not be disappointed.'
Old 04-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #9

In the past I've used a very soft brush on the end of a extension handle. No noticeable swirl marks on the clear coat. I would recommend NOT using a wide brush, darn thing was too heavy when wet and wore me out. The brush I've been using is about 9 or 10 inches wide...easier to maneuver in the Florida heat.

I bought the kit that Ggrvusa recommends from much touted Aircraft Cosmetics...impressive kit. I'm expecting big things from it... Kit is standing by in the shed, awaiting motivation.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggrvusa View Post
The best is aero cosmetics Washwax.com
Designed for airplanes, waterless wash and wax.'
This outfit has the best extension pole I have ever seen. Not cheap but the best.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #11

Truck stop or truck dealer parts counter. Been using brushes for 35 years on all my trucks and our rv's. there are two grades of brushes. yellow and green bristle. yellow is the courser of the two but still does not scratch or leave marks. the green is ok but you will have a hard time getting the bugs off. You can also get extendo poles there also in two different lengths and there are about 4-5 different size brushes.

I use turtle wax wash and wax soap to wash and it works great.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For the brush and pole,I went to Home Depot and got the 16' extendable blue pole and about a 9-10" medium stiffness brush. Man, it's really great to be able to stand on the ground and get all the way to the top edge of the roof. I have used The Turtle Wash and Wax,but wasn't really impressed with it and now I'm using Meguilar's wash and wax gold. I have used a couple of the carnuba waxes,but have a problem doing it more than once a year when you have a 40' rig.
Not wanting to hijack this,but I have seen several folks using the spray on and wipe off and have really been impressed with the ease and shine. The best I saw was a purple color one,but I don't know what the brand was. What are some of the sprau-on brands.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:57 PM   #13

Lucas slick mist spray on WHILE drying!!! It works!