Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #1

Recommendation for Customs Broker

Can anybody recommend a customs broker to bring a Motorhome into Canada
Appreciate all replys .
Kenc1325

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #2

I brought my own unit into B.C. No problems that would require a broker.
Both the US and Canadian web sites provide all the info necessary.
What province would you be crossing into?

Old 09-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #3

You don't really need a broker if you are brining it in yourself. It is not difficult at all.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #4

Suggest you go to the "riv.ca" web site to get the skinny first hand. You do not require a broker but "Livingston" is a broker and "Livingston" is contracted by the Government to run "RIV".

Anything you need to know and do is on that site. Very simple and straight forward. Note some RV's cannot be imported. A link to the list of approved RV's and other vehicles is provided. If the vehicle is not on the list you can't import it.

Recommend you do it yourself

Good luck
Old 09-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenc1325 View Post
Can anybody recommend a customs broker to bring a Motorhome into Canada
Appreciate all replys .
Kenc1325
I used a broker when I imported mine. Big mistake. Lots of hassles at the border when the transport company didn't do their job right. Too me hours to get it straight at the border. Even the customs agent asked me why I just didn't do it myself.

Next time, if there is one, I would just do it myself. The RIV program and paperwork is really an easy process. Save yourself some headaches. Live and learn.
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I brought my own unit into B.C. No problems that would require a broker.
Both the US and Canadian web sites provide all the info necessary.
What province would you be crossing into?
I will be crossing fort Erie Ontario
Old 09-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMEDPHYS View Post

I used a broker when I imported mine. Big mistake. Lots of hassles at the border when the transport company didn't do their job right. Too me hours to get it straight at the border. Even the customs agent asked me why I just didn't do it myself.

Next time, if there is one, I would just do it myself. The RIV program and paperwork is really an easy process. Save yourself some headaches. Live and learn.
Thank you I will go on and try to learn
Thanks for the reply
Old 09-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMEDPHYS View Post

Thanks it's nice to hear the experience of others
Ken
Old 09-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #9

To me the most important part of the whole process, was choosing the border crossing and making sure the US Customs and Excise office; at that crossing ; had all the paperwork the required 72 hrs. in advance.
It's been 3 years since I brought my rig in , but I still have the computer I was using at the time, I'll fire it up and get the web sites for the US requirements.
From the time I pulled up to the US side till I cleared the Canadian offices with the receipt for taxes paid in hand was less than an hour.
You will have to check that your border crossing is set up for , export of vehicles on the US side and , import on the Canadian.
That info is on the web sites.
www.riv.ca
1-888-848-8240
e mail info@riv.ca.
Vehicle admissibility
www.tc.gc.ca.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #10

Got my antique , fired up and found this link
Border Crossing Information | UCanImport.com

Page has links to the US CBP website, and contact info for the border crossings.
Make sure the dealer is providing you with notices that all recalls ; both chassis and coach have been completed.
You can drive the coach back into Canada on a US State , temporary operation permit , but you must have Canadian vehicle insurance .
ICBC. provided a 30 day( max operation time ) pollicy for my use of the coach, on the US permit to allow me time to get the RV into Canada and complete the registration/transfer/inspection process.
Found another link , hope I can get this one to work.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safev...section5_1.htm.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
with the above posts. I imported mine in March of this year. I followed the guidelines on the RIV site and had absolutly no problems at the US (exporting) or Canadian (importing) ports. My insurance agency (Manitoba Public Insurance, Autopac) provide both the insurance/liability coverage, and a temporay transportation sticker for a month to give me time to import it plus get the safety done when I got back home.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I used Percy H. Davis just because I use them for most of my business needs. I am sure, now that I did it once, I could do it again myself. You still need to do all the "Leg-Work". Check if it is even allowed to import. Get your recall letters (both from Chassis and Motorhome manufacturers). Invoice or bill of sale and title. Once have all the paperwork in order then fax it all to the border. Do not send or mail titles (fax a copy then have the original in hand when cross) because if it gets lost.......You're HOOPED.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
I used Percy H. Davis just because I use them for most of my business needs. I am sure, now that I did it once, I could do it again myself. You still need to do all the "Leg-Work". Check if it is even allowed to import. Get your recall letters (both from Chassis and Motorhome manufacturers). Invoice or bill of sale and title. Once have all the paperwork in order then fax it all to the border. Do not send or mail titles (fax a copy then have the original in hand when cross) because if it gets lost.......You're HOOPED.
Thanks I did check to make sure it is allowed it's a Thor motor coach so it is good to go . Just need to do the rest of the paper work . Thanks for the help
Old 09-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #14
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I don't mess with it. I use a Customs Broker. A good one. Costs only a couple of hundred for piece of mind. They deal directly with the US party with the coach. All paperwork is sitting for me at the crossing. They tell me what I need to do. Seamless.
To me, it's worth every penny.
I use Summit Customs Brokers in BC.