Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

If you price the coach on NADA RV and check the LOW RETAIL then it should be going for at least 20-25% less than that. Motorhomes are selling for wholesale or below right now and less if it is an ophaned coach. The banks will tell you that they will only loan money on the wholesale price right now because that is what they are going for. Some people have upside loans and are trying to get what they owe on the MH. Stay away from those people. I can find a 2004 Navigator selling for $385,000 and then find the same one selling for $160000. It is crazy out there.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
If you price the coach on NADA RV and check the LOW RETAIL then it should be going for at least 20-25% less than that. Motorhomes are selling for wholesale or below right now and less if it is an ophaned coach. The banks will tell you that they will only loan money on the wholesale price right now because that is what they are going for. Some people have upside loans and are trying to get what they owe on the MH. Stay away from those people. I can find a 2004 Navigator selling for $385,000 and then find the same one selling for $160000. It is crazy out there.
mike brings up a great point: your coach is an orphan and additional discounts should definitely apply.

our coach was a wash in this respect in that tiffin is not only still in business but probably has the best service rep in the industry and we knew that any issues we had would be well taken care of.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes, there are lots of potential problems. Since National is gone there is no warranty and parts support on the National unique items may be a problem. A bigger concern to me would be the fact that it has been sitting. It is quite possible the batteries are bad as they have not been used/maintained. The tires are likely bad, wheel bearings could be bad, rubber seals & gaskets on engine and drive train may be dried out. Lubricants and fluids are possibly contaminated with condensation/moisture/rust. AND it comes with all the normal bugs a new RV comes from out of the factory as it has not been used so the bugs/problems could be found and resolved. You might be able to get a "good deal" on the coach, but it would need to be REALLY good to cover the possible problems. I would not want to pay any more than I would for any other 2006 National Tradwinds 40C ... if I found a comparable used one I likely would prefer to the "new" unused one....

As for basement ac, I have basement air/heat pump on my Winnebago. Most of us who have it like it very much.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
....... I would not want to pay any more than I would for any other 2006 National Tradwinds 40C ... if I found a comparable used one I likely would prefer to the "new" unused one..........
Now THAT is some wisdom right there!

That's why I bought 2003 used rather than 2008 "new"

"New" means NOTHING on an orphan! And don't be scared of an orphan, as there isn't all that much that is unique to an orphan....And a good "breakdown policy" will protect you.(not for manufacturing defects though so thourough PDI 4-5 days is a good idea) And many of the "high dollar" components engine, transmission, electronics, leveling system, furnace, axles, AC units, generator, etc...are covered by manufacturer's warranties..
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Buy it only if you can "Steal it!!"

If you were to be involved, god forbid, in an accident and body parts were not available, just carry good insurance so as they (the insurance company) can pay the rig off. These things happen.

We have a couple here in the RV park with us now, that had an accident one year ago. She was driving the DP and swerved off the road onto the right shoulder to avoid an animal. The MH rolled onto it's right side- Total loss.

Think about it,
Old 02-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Rv Purchase

I would not purchase a 4 year old motorhome that has been sitting for 4 years plus the fact that the company is out of business unless like stated in a previous post you can steal it. It also might be necessary for you to be mechanically inclined. You might be better off to find a 2008 or 2009 new motorhome siting at a RV dealer whosae company is still in business.
While here would like to respond to theberrys comment about Workhorse recall. At present there is a recall for 2001-2005 chassis' and they will take care of any brake problems you have until the parts are available but I wouldn't knock them for having a brake recall. In my opinion Workhorse engine coupled with Alison transmission is a super chassis.
You had better not by a Toyota as they kill people with all their problems and WCC doesn't kill people yet. A lot of the problem is the way you drive the RV as I have a WCC and have gone down a 10% grade with no problems. Too many people use the brakes instead of using gears and going slow to start down the hill. Some drivers even stand on the brakes. Lastly it is a proven fact that RV's sit so long they get water in the brake fluid and when that boils by too much braking you have no brakes therefore brake fluid must be changes at regular intervals.
Good luck on your new purchase and you have come to the right place for questions, IRV2 forums or their chat rooms.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
WCC doesn't kill people yet.
Well that says it all (notice the YET in that statement). Workhorse is a good chassis but they have had a problem with brakes for years and the rework is now postponed to this summer. It's a touchy subject just check all the threads on this and other boards. For some reason people can easily forgive Workhorse for not responding but the big bad Toyota is killing people.
Make your own decision, I just thought you should be aware of the situation so you can include it in your decision making process.

Dick
Old 02-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
Buy it only if you can "Steal it!!"

If you were to be involved, god forbid, in an accident and body parts were not available, just carry good insurance so as they (the insurance company) can pay the rig off. These things happen.

We have a couple here in the RV park with us now, that had an accident one year ago. She was driving the DP and swerved off the road onto the right shoulder to avoid an animal. The MH rolled onto it's right side- Total loss.

Think about it,
Go to the National forum in IRV2 and look under the post "National Parts". When National went under several companies went in and bought up the inventory and the moulds for basement doors, front and rear caps etc. As far as the couple who had the misfortune of taking out their motorhome instead of an animal, that would have happened to anyone with an orphan or not. A total loss pays the same. Minor fiberglass repair is done exactly the same for current RV mfgrs and orphans, you take it to an RV repair facility, someone reglasses the damage, paints it to match.
If you get a good deal on this coach, use your gut and either go for it or walk away.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #23

So just tell us, how much are you buying it for? I got a 2002 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with 3 slides for 56k. 52k miles. most in this range are going close to 100k. I am just dying to know what you are paying. There are so many good deals out there ight now. Sitting that long you just need to worry about seals drying up and other small items like that. Being mechanically inclined I wouldn't be bothered by it. Face it 95% of the motorhomes out there sit for long periods as they all have low low miles on them, which means sitting. Don't be afraid.