Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #1

Smile Recommendation on contemplated RV purchase

I am looking seriously at buying a NEW 2006 National RV Tradwinds 40C. I can't figure out why this 2006 model was never purchased. Is National RV a good brand? Are there problems with these? Since it is four years old, would there be potential problems with dry rotted tires and rubber items? Would the batteries still have good service life? This motorhome has basement air. Didn't I read something about it being difficult and expensive to gain access to these to service and repair. Isn't National
RV defunct? If so, how hard is it to get parts and service?
saaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #2

Yes, National RV is no more. We were hoping for a while that they would come back into business but I think the economy has killed that hope. You had better check carefully with whoever you would finance it through because a lot of banks have stopped financing ophaned motorhomes.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
It might be a great buy if you can do all your own repairs and get it for the right price. I expect if something serious goes bad you'll be on your own.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I assume since it's advertised as new it's for sell from a dealer. What are they saying about warranty? As mentioned National is out of business, but this part of the motorhome only applies to the house anyway. The chassis, engine, tranny, all the appliances, water pump/s, certain electronics, etc. are from individual manufacturer's. Check thoroughly to see if these manufacturer's will still make good on their warranty length of time. However, keep in mind the plumbing, water and waste tanks are all National's products.

Also, as mentioned above, if you are comfortable with doing repairs yourself, and if the price is very good, and in my case it would have to be very very good, only then would I consider it.

You may need to replace all the tires, and check the awnings real good. Especially the slide out awning covers. If they've been out in the weather all that time, they could be damaged by wind and/or hail. Check the seals around the slide outs. Look for water damage, inside and out. Especially, look for heavy rust.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with all above. If you deside to buy it have the dealer replace the tires and specify 2010 dated tires and give you a Warranty on the Motorhome. I would look at various brands that are still in business. Try this website it has alot of different rv's that you can easly shop and get prices and they are great to deal with.

DeMartini RV Sales, Recreational vehicles (RVs), Holiday Rambler, Holiday Rambler Motorhomes, Monaco Motorhomes, Monaco Coach, Monaco Coach Corporation, Used Diesel Pusher, Used diesel, Endeavor, Scepter,** Imperial, Dynasty,* Windsor, Camelot, Navig
Old 02-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I wouldn't be afraid of the coach if you follow the great advice already given. Ask the dealer to supply an after-market warranty at his expense. Remember, there are more motorhome manufactures that have not been able to weather the recession than those who did. Just because they didn't survive the the economic "perfect storm" doen't mean they built an inferior coach.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are more orphans out there than existing companies. National is better than most.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #8

Replacing tires has already been mentioned and you may need to that. If it's a 2006 coach it could have a 2005 chassis and the tires would be five years old.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
Community Administrator

There are extended warr. co's. covering orphans such as Good Sam. If you're getting a real good deal which I assume you are , than it may be worth the cost.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #10

As folks have mentioned above, be advised you have 4-5 year old tires on this coach. The dealer should discount for this. Also, have all the fluids (engine and transmission) replaced, along with the batteries. This isn't HUGE money, but the tires will be a couple $K.

Make sure the dealer supplies (or you purchase on your own) an extended warranty to cover the fact that there's no National warranty. Xtraride by Progressive has one for orphan coaches, and they are a top rated company.

Then it comes down to price. Anyone should be able to get 25% off MSRP, but considering this coach is 4 years old already you should be getting a lot more. Go to NADA.com and check the value of the coach there. It's not technically a used coach, but it will be the minute you drive it away.

The big issue with orphan coaches is getting body panels for repair. All the other stuff is manufactured by Dometic/Norcold, Suburban, etc.

Basement air is great. Works well.

If you have convinced yourself it really is a GREAT deal, then go for it with all the conisderations mentioned in this thread. National built a good coach.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've heard you can always go to the individual vendors for repairs, and that's ok if the vendor is still in business, willing to help and still provides parts/supplies etc for the item (i.e. electrical, plumbing, etc etc). So you can't depend upon vendors being there if the unit is old.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Get anything the dealer says in writing as far as what he will cover. A friend of ours bought a "new" / "un-titled" travel trailer that was 5 model years old. The owner of the dealership orally said you still get the bumper 2 bumper coverage. Long story short....he lied.....he or the manufacturer which was bought out refused to cover anything as major issues came into play.....It all comes down to price......good luck....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I have a 1999 Tradewinds and have yet to find something that can't be fixed either by me or my local RV repair guy. Coaches that sit for long periods of time tend to have plumbing problems due to drying out. If you can find a place that is RV savvy spend a little cash to have it checked out before you buy. The rule of thumb in the RV world is, DON'T TRUST A DEALER, this isn't the best of times for them and they really need a sale. Buyers beware! So go to a third party for the check out.

It's in your best interest. If your new to RV'ing than avoid a Workhorse Chassis, they have a on going brake problem that’s been around for two or three years. You just don't need the added aggravation. "Sorry Driver" it's true.

We find our Tradewinds a well built coach and would buy another, if you’re real concerned about a warrantee they can be purchased from several companies, but shop for a warrantee as carefully as you do a coach. Some of them are all talk and little coverage.

Dick
Old 02-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #14

yes, get everything in writing from the dealer.

regarding price, start with a 25% discount and take off another 8-10% per year old the coach is. keep in mind that the 2011s are almost out.

that's how we bought our new 2008 tiffin a couple of months ago.

there WILL be issues from sitting for so long--tires are on the list but virtually EVERYTHING that has moving parts will need looking at. and the dealer--if they are like ours--will have done NOTHING to the coach while it sat. in our case, mr. ziffel was delivered with about 90 hours on the gen--and onan calls for the first oil and filter change at 50 hours. we had it done--we had to pay for it--and are going to go after the general manager for reimbursement or some kind of credit.

good luck!
Money Man is offline   Reply With Quote