Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 06:23 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Recommendation on someone to repair Carrier AirV in NE quadrant?

Any recommendations on a top-notch HVAC repair guy somewhere between Philadelphia, Elkhart and North Carolina?

Yes, I know Carrier is gone and parts are non-existant but I think I have what might be a generic problem like a capacitor or maybe even just a loose wire. The thing is... as these units are obsolete, I can't have someone who owns a screw driver just taking guesses.

Longer story... I cleaned filters the other day and, maybe, bumped a wirenut when sliding them back in. There are several loose wires (unconnected to another wire) in close proximity and, while a couple could be test leads or something, I see about 5 or 6 wires unconnected.

Here's what happened: A few days after cleaning, I smelled a weird smell... like chemical of some kind but, in hindsight, it could have been electrical. Anyway, later that evening, I turned off the air to watch TV. When I went to turn it back on, the green light comes on and it only hums. Nothing else. I set it to fan only and I get the same. I'm hoping I bumped a wirenut that made a connection almost come apart and, finally, the additional heat of a strand or two of wire made it burn free. I can find no evidence of burned coating.

Any recommendations on a HVAC guru?
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #2

Contact Art Oberdorf to set up a meeting somewhere in the Annapolis, MD area. He has been in the business a long time and is familiar with the Carrier units. He has an excellent reputation in RV repair.

RV Mobile Services
Annapolis/Arnold/Severna, MD 21012
410-353-0684
Email Address: rvmobileservice@comcast.net
Old 08-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Contact Art Oberdorf to set up a meeting somewhere in the Annapolis, MD area. He has been in the business a long time and is familiar with the Carrier units. He has an excellent reputation in RV repair.

RV Mobile Services
Annapolis/Arnold/Severna, MD 21012
410-353-0684
Email Address: rvmobileservice@comcast.net
Awesome! Thanks so much! I can't tell you what a relief it is to have someone to go to with this. Once again, this Forum has proven to be the greatest thing since sliced bread!
Old 08-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #4

Hopefully the Carrier AirV service manual has a wiring diagram you may use to reconnect the wires.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The above named Art Oberdorf has not responded to phone calls or email. Called twice in a week and sent one email. I'm not going to hound someone. Guess he's busy.

And, as much as I'd like to read the above referenced schematic, I'm just not qualified. I'd hate to make something worse.

So... I'm still looking for someone to work on my Carrier AirV ducted unit (model 68RV14112A) in the below referenced rig. Frankly, for a guru, I'd go anywhere from Philadelphia to North Carolina to Elkhart, IN... or further, if need be.

Any recommendations, please?
Old 08-08-2016, 03:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blang View Post
So... I'm still looking for someone to work on my Carrier AirV ducted unit (model 68RV14112A) in the below referenced rig. Frankly, for a guru, I'd go anywhere from Philadelphia to North Carolina to Elkhart, IN... or further, if need be.

Any recommendations, please?
Blang. Just Google Carrier AirV and the first result links you to the service manual, on the manual it shows the connection diagram, you can probably follow the colors. There is not a lot to connect, power and control.
WillsDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillsDP View Post
Blang. Just Google Carrier AirV and the first result links you to the service manual, on the manual it shows the connection diagram, you can probably follow the colors. There is not a lot to connect, power and control.
Yes, I've been through the service manual a few times and I'm just not comfortable. I'd hate to connect something that shouldn't be connected and make something worst. And maybe it's not just a wire. Thanks... but I'm looking for a service guy that can methodically troubleshoot and solve the problem.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:04 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OP here. So... here's the followup on this story.

Found Greg's RV Services (info below) just north of Philly and a few miles off I-95 on Lincoln Highway. He also does mobile. Top notch service at what I think are very good prices. What's even more interesting is his shop is in an industrial park and he has access to and has working relationships with many other trades close by. For example, there is a specialty steel shop right next door and, as he was just finishing up with me, there was a trailer being pulled in with a broken frame. The point is... if you're needing service off I-95, give Greg a call. He can get it done.

Greg's RV Services
225 Lincoln Highway
Fairless Hills, PA 19030(267) 897-2449

And, now, the rest of the story: The problem turned out to be a blown capacitor. Actually, as you Carrier AirV owners know, these capacitors are no longer available. Greg had his guy chase this capacitor around to 15 suppliers looking for old stock. None to be had. Not giving up, he got a parts guy at Carrier on the phone and found a capacitor with identical specs, the Carrier guy said. Even though the numbers are different, the Carrier guy insisted it matches what was in it. Greg ordered, overnited and installed. I now have two working A/Cs again. Yay, Greg!!!!

Just for the record, here's the capacitor info:
Made by Genteq
45uf - 5uf 370Volts 27L880
Made in Mexico

Yes, I know the numbers don't match what came out...
12 / 45 UF 370V
No 190
LR 79596
DAL-M3GJ1245
Digital Tech

But, again, the Carrier parts guy said it matches what came out. I won't pretend I understand but it is in and it is working.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:28 PM   #9

a 5/45 mfd 370 cap is a very common one you can also use a 5/45 mfd 440 vac cap
or a 5 and a 45 ( separate caps) jumpering the commons. most motor shops or ebay will have the correct cap.it does not need to say carrier on it your a/c will never know the difference.your fan motor will not last with the higher mfd cap.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair