RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Twinsburg OH - Franklin MA - New Milford CT - Bay Shore NY
Recommendations for Gravel Base on existing stone base.

I'm a new seasonal owner at a campground in NE Ohio. My site has a loose stone base currently. I need to add more stone / gravel to create a stronger parking area. There are areas where my tires are sinking a little into the stones. Most of the area is not too bad.
What gravel would you recommend to add that will tighten up the existing pad?
I'm thinking about adding some quickcrete / sakrete to the bad areas to help make it stronger.
I have thick 3/4" rubber mats about 2'x2' that I want to put down for my jacks. Very much like what you can buy from Tractor Barn for $35 for a 4'x6' rubber stall mat. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ck-4-ft-x-6-ft
May want to also add bag of quickcrete / sakrete to strengthen that area and create semi-permanent pads.
Any thought or recommendations on gravel type and the used of quickcrete / sakrete?
Any feedback ideas appreciated

mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #2

See the provided link for your rig. I use the very same thing for my rig. The pads are made out of the same material that Rough Terrain Cranes use on Natural Ground. You want a solid surface for your jacks to support your rig on.

https://www.outriggerpads.com

1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:17 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
if your still looking

If your still looking for some sort of rock / gravel I would suggest that you look at road base. It is cheap and will tamp down firm. Its what is used in road construction. Another is re- constituded concrete.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeannetta View Post
I'm a new seasonal owner at a campground in NE Ohio. My site has a loose stone base currently. I need to add more stone / gravel to create a stronger parking area. There are areas where my tires are sinking a little into the stones. Most of the area is not too bad.
I'm thinking about adding some quickcrete / sakrete to the bad areas to help make it stronger.
I have thick 3/4" rubber mats about 2'x2' that I want to put down for my jacks. Very much like what you can buy from Tractor Barn for $35 for a 4'x6' rubber stall mat. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ck-4-ft-x-6-ft
May want to also add bag of quickcrete / sakrete to strengthen that area and create semi-permanent pads.
Any thought or recommendations on gravel type and the used of quickcrete / sakrete?
Without seeing your site or knowing how big your 'stones' are, I would consider road base, like earlier mentioned. But before I did that, I would contact a local rock supplier and discuss options with him. Some questions he will need to know is how big is the stone there now, 3/8" 3/4", Bigger??? How thick the existing stone is, and approximately how many square feet are you talking about fixing.

Also be sure the camp ground is okay with your plans to modify your space.

Good luck
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:25 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Crusher run is good. It is a mix of stone and the powder created by crushing stone and it makes a firm base.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeannetta View Post
I'm a new seasonal owner at a campground in NE Ohio.
My site has a loose stone base currently.
I need to add more stone / gravel to create a stronger parking area.

There are areas where my tires are sinking a little into the stones.

Most of the area is not too bad.

I have thick 3/4" rubber mats about 2'x2' that I want to put down for my jacks.
Very much like what you can buy from Tractor Barn for $35 for a 4'x6' rubber stall mat. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ck-4-ft-x-6-ft
Not sure what others have said but as an old highway contractor i'd guess the issue is subsoil moisture (Water in the dirt under the gravel) so just adding stone without deleting the water will likely not do much.(Unless you add a lot of gravel)

If drainage is good, there is a chance that a couple inches of millings (asphalt from recycled blacktop) might work - seals the existing stone and then adds a level surface that will drain.

If sakrete is used frame it with a 2x6 so as to give it enough volume to work. 2x6x24" pads for the jacks, might even add a little wire to hold it together.

Not sure what the matts are for, rubber will add no strength?

That's my .02 cents,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:26 AM   #7

I had mine done in crushed asphalt from recycled blacktop. It's very firm and stable.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All rubber mats will do is keep your jacks clean, they are too soft to spread out the weight. I used a treated 2x10 cut to make 9.5"x9.5" square pads, doubled up with grain going opposite ways and screwed together with deck screws to make 3" thick pads. Sometimes you need that extra height. I put a small eye bolt on one side to be able to pull them out with my awning pull rod. As far as stone, anything crushed, avoid round river rock, it is like stepping into a pit of tennis balls. Road gravel needs compacting, washed crushed stone doesn't and is cleaner. Anything between 1/4" and 3/4". I wouldn't bother with adding cement to the mix.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:28 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The horse mats have stopped my bus from sinking on a roadbase mix (what my building is built on). Been working for two years now and bus no longer sinks. I have the jacks on 2x6's helping support the weight.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:20 PM   #10

dmurdock.

I was thinking of the same solution. I live in the Houston area where there is a lot of gumbo type soil. Put a base of rocks and gravel, but still have some sinking. Currently use 2 x 12 planks under all wheels.

As for the NE Ohio area, recently stayed in a park up there that had a while shale base, so when it rains, it is really messy on the coach.

Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote