Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #1

Recommendations for Used Class A Gas 2007 - 2010

We are Canadian Snowbirds and presently have a 36 ft HitchHiker 5W permanently parked in a RV park in TX.

We also have a 28 ft Safari Trek which we use for the north-south-north migrations and occasional touring from time to time when the travel bug bites.

We are considering selling both the HitchHiker and Trek and purchasing a larger (used) Class A Gas to replace both. Preliminary Internet research has determined that a 36-38 ft model, 2007 -2010, on a Workhorse chassis will probably meet our preferences and budget.

We want a coach from a manufacturer still in production as the Trek has taught us about the problems obtaining coach specific parts for an "orphan" coach. e.g. a $750 headlight.

An example of a floorplan and spec we have found that looks like it will meet our requirements is a Pace Arrow 37c. It has 3 slides, (2 will be OK) an enclosed bathroom, 60 x 80 queen bed and good sized galley.

We would appreciate recommendations for similar or better quality coaches with a good reliability history.

Thanks
RockyMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMan View Post
We are Canadian Snowbirds and presently have a 36 ft HitchHiker 5W permanently parked in a RV park in TX.

We also have a 28 ft Safari Trek which we use for the north-south-north migrations and occasional touring from time to time when the travel bug bites.

We are considering selling both the HitchHiker and Trek and purchasing a larger (used) Class A Gas to replace both. Preliminary Internet research has determined that a 36-38 ft model, 2007 -2010, on a Workhorse chassis will probably meet our preferences and budget.

We want a coach from a manufacturer still in production as the Trek has taught us about the problems obtaining coach specific parts for an "orphan" coach. e.g. a $750 headlight.

An example of a floorplan and spec we have found that looks like it will meet our requirements is a Pace Arrow 37c. It has 3 slides, (2 will be OK) an enclosed bathroom, 60 x 80 queen bed and good sized galley.

We would appreciate recommendations for similar or better quality coaches with a good reliability history.

Thanks
I believe Workhorse was out of business by 2007. Bounder makes a nice gas coach.

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe you will find Workhorse quit making RV Chassis late 2010. You can find RV models on the Workhorse Chassis up to 2011 if you look.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See if you can find a Winnebago Adventurer Limited on a R26 (UFO) Workhorse Chassis. You won't find a better gas chassis and the Winnebago Adventurer Limited was one of the nicest models build on that Chassis.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #5

We love our 07 Itasca (Winnebago) Suncruiser. It's 35'10" and has 3 slides. My wife keeps telling me she has not seen another coach yet that she likes that would compare to our kitchen cabinet space.
We've been on the road over a month and needed a part over nighted from Winnebago. One phone call and part was sent to RV Park. I would suggest looking at these too. Mine is on W24 chassis with 8.1 and 6 speed Alison tranny.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:08 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fleetwood........... Bounder, Pace Arrow, Southwind on a Ford Chassis. I don't have anything against Workhorse other than various manufacturing companies have owned it and now it's gone. There are some late model PA's around on Ford chassis but they are rare.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi. I have had 3 bounders in the past few years. First one on a Ford Chassis and the last two had the workhorse W24 chassis. I belive the workhorse chassis, motor, allison transmission with the grade brake option is a much better combination. Only complaints regard the leveling jacks. Had to rebuild both front jacks. Easy once you do it once. Got the parts I needed from PPL motorhomes in Texas. Good luck with your search and decision.
cos80922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fleetwood is good at parts support. Love our 37a PA large gasser. Well made, has been reliable, good cabinetry, uptodate euro interior.

We are on a ford v10 chassis. Either WH or Ford will get the job done. I would buy a well cared for coach on either chassis.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile Used Class A Gas 2007-2010

We have a 2007 Winnie Adventurer 38T. It has W24 chassis and 8.1 Vortex with Allison 6 speed. We are full timers from Alberta and really find this model meets our needs very well. Wife likes the counter space. We have travelled to the Florida Keys and back with our car on tow dolley with no concerns. Travelled the Rockies average around 8-8.5 miles per gallon at cruising speed of 62 mph. Happy hunting, good luck with your search.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Another vote for Bounder. Stay with the regular though...don't buy the Classic. IMO, the Classic has less quality & was a way for FW to attract low budget buyers & still give them the Bounder name.

I've got friends who own PA's & also Winnebago Adventurers. Both are great choices as well.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Count me in on the Bounder. My 08 served me well for five years.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rocky,

I have 3 recommendations for you, in order of preference:
1) Newmar Canyon Star or Bay Star
2) Tiffin Allegro or Open Road
3) Winnebago

Be aware that any motorhome built on a Workhorse chassis/engine should be considered an orphan.

I've owned one Winnebago, two Tiffins and one Newmar. Build quality and customer support from Newmar has been superb. I'm sure the two manufacturers are also good, but I have no recent personal experience with their build quality or customer support. All 3 companies are viable manufacturers with good product lines. Do your research and make your choice.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:21 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello. Please do not take this as argumentative. Why do you consider an RV built on a workhorse chassis as an "orphan" coach? If the coach builder is stiil in business then all I can rationalize is the chassis manufacturer, Workhorse, that is the only part that is "orphan". Chevy still makes parts for the engine, allison trans is still around, Atwood or other jack makers are still in business. So I am left to quander what makes Fleetwood or any other coach maker that is still in business but built on a Workhorse chassis an orphan RV? Thanks
cos80922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:59 PM   #14

Research these three too:
-Tripple E (made in Canada, good quality, good insulation)
- Rexhall (steel cage construction adds a safety edge)
- Newmar Mountain Aire (may need to drop down a few years)

Best of luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gas