Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #1

Question Recommended DP Bunkhouse or Avoid

Getting serious, finally. Recommendations/Cautions, please.
JM. Old Army Aviator, Rock 'n Roll Concerts 48 ft tour coach driver. Lotsa tents, 2 Popups, 3 Bumper pulls, 2 P/U Slide ins, 1 Fifth Whl, 1 Converted School Bus, 1 current Super C. Searching for puffect DP. (80ft Bunkhouse??)
James Macfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Love our Fleetwood Discovery 40G! It's our second bunkhouse class A. First one was a gas Coachmen Mirada. That was a nice rig too but we wanted a DP after less than a year with the gasser.

Also consider the Berkshire if the Discovery is too pricey for you. It has better/more natural light from lots of windows, and opposing seats in the living room. Plus lots of storage space. But it only has 2 AC units so if you frequent southern locations this will be a bit of a downer. The AC on the Berk are also much louder.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar has made bunkhouse coaches (gas and diesel) for years. Go to their web site for the 2014 models. Google Newmar bunkhouse to see used coaches.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
If you search the forum, I believe there are quite a few discussions on DP bunkhouses.

Personally, if I was in the market, I'd really look for a Discovery 42A (discontinued last year but you might be able to find a dealer with one) or I'd consider getting a custom Revolution 42T with bunks in the rear walk-in because I really like the 1 1/2 bath & 2nd bedroom floorplan. Pretty much every other bunkhouse will have a very similar floorplan with the master at the back and the bunks in the hallway next to the bathroom (the Disc 40G does have a cheater door through the bathroom so you don't actually have to walk by the bunks).

You don't mention if you are looking for new or used. If new, pretty much all manufacturers sell at least 1 bunk DP floorplan. If used, your selection is probably going to be very limited as there aren't many used DP bunkhouses on the market.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
I have a new 2014 Palazzo 33.3 bunk house, so far she has been great . a few minor problems for the new coach blues but nothing major , I think the worst was the micro wave didn't work but got that fixed quickly .

my 5 year old get's the top bunk and my 2 dog's get the bottom

good luck with your search
mike
Old 12-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
As you consider these bunk models, do keep in mind the safety of that top bunk. Our girl rolled off the top bunk the first night we used it--busted lip, black eye, and fractured shoulder. We learned the hard way that we needed to install a bed rail in that coach even though she never falls off her home bed. We had a leftover bed rail from when they were wee tots. Those bunks are pretty skinny.

Our Fleetwood has a net that holds her in so we didn't have to use the bed rail.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #7

Coachmen Sportscoach

We purchased a 2011 Sportscoach new. We find that it serves its purpose very well. With all of the sleeping quarters, we have room for my daughter's family of 7 (Indiana to Disney World and back).

The mileage hovers in the 9+ area regardless of terrain. The 340 Cummins pulled us well over the Alaskan Range, the Rockies, and the Appalachians.

Mechanically, it has performed flawlessly. We could not be happier.

Interior needs some redesign. We had to have dinette cushion insert and the large front bed cushions "shaved" because believe it or not, those 3 cushions were each at least one inch thicker than the surrounding cushions. (And the factory basically denied a design flaw) The interior would be better with the rear queen, 2 bunks, dinette bed, and a queen couch up front that has the cushion and air mattress, and a Lazy Boy. The cushion beds need to be assembled BEFORE you sign the papers. JMHO

For its price it can't be beat (after you deal with the cushions).
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #8

Check ppl listing for NEWMAR Allstar 2007. Nice bunk model.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #9

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
As you consider these bunk models, do keep in mind the safety of that top bunk. Our girl rolled off the top bunk the first night we used it--busted lip, black eye, and fractured shoulder. We learned the hard way that we needed to install a bed rail in that coach even though she never falls off her home bed. We had a leftover bed rail from when they were wee tots. Those bunks are pretty skinny.

Our Fleetwood has a net that holds her in so we didn't have to use the bed rail.
our bunks have 2 wood door's that open and close to hide the bunk's and we keep 1 door closed " toward her upper body " so if she does roll she will hit the door and not fall to the floor I hope
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
I have a 5er with bunks, and the bunks will be coming out to make room for
an office, or a sewing room or a washer dryer or a Futon and small TV.. it is an extra room even if small and does make lots of extra storage for even a dresser if you wanted.

Now if you have children, you will have to wait for them to be too tall to make any changes ...
Old 12-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #11

Bunkhouse

We have a Tiffin 38QBA. Our 6 foot tall grandsons love the bunks. They close the folding doors whether they are sleeping, reading, or playing video games.

The top bunk folds up. There is a bar for hanging clothes. My wife prefers to use it as her storage area when we travel alone. She has clothes hanging there, and the lower bunk becomes her place to store a key board, shoes, etc.
Larry La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
Personally, if I was in the market, I'd really look for a Discovery 42A (discontinued last year but you might be able to find a dealer with one) or I'd consider getting a custom Revolution 42T with bunks in the rear walk-in because I really like the 1 1/2 bath & 2nd bedroom floorplan
This is the way that I am thinking of going. I like the idea of the kids having space in between us and each other. We are going to look at American Coach again this weekend.
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #13

You might want to make sure the bathroom is accessible while the coach is closed up if that's important to you. We changed our minds about the Tiffin bunkhouse model because you couldn't. (Didn't end up with a bunkhouse at all in the end)
4tfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
You might want to make sure the bathroom is accessible while the coach is closed up if that's important to you. We changed our minds about the Tiffin bunkhouse model because you couldn't. (Didn't end up with a bunkhouse at all in the end)
That was one of the issues we had with the Tiffin. That and the fact that the booth dinette didn't comfortably seat 3 adults.