Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #1

Recommended Used Class A Models

Hello,
First post here -- Looking into getting our first motorhome. What I'm looking for is something over 30ft with bunks (3 young kids), so the more it sleeps, the better. There are a lot of brands and models out there that would work, but my goal would be to find something newer (maybe 2010 and newer) that really holds its value the best, almost like the Honda of motorhomes I haven't officially set my budget yet, but I'd love to get into something closer to $60,000 that I would have no problem selling at $60,000 5 year later for example. My gut tells me that the resale value and quality of the motorhome goes hand in hand... We have friends that paid just under $90,000 for something that's a year old that would work really well for us, but the quality is really not very good, and my gut tells me the value will take a nose dive over the next few years while everything starts to fall apart. Maybe there's no such motorhome, but I thought I'd poll the experts on here and get some recommendations?
spfulfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Good luck on maintaining it's value. MH's are depreciating assets. You would have to purchase one way below market value to accomplish your five year plan. As to the rest of your question, look at a Winnebago Sightseer BH (bunk house). You should be able to purchase one in your price and year range.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You can figure 6-10% annual depreciation even if well-maintained, so in years you are going to lose a bundle. If you pay $90k now, it's probably $60k-$65k in 5 years. Yes, the better brands will last longer, or at least be more repairable (and valuable), in addition to being more pleasing to own.

Look at the NADA RV Guide to get an idea of how values fall ver time. Unlike cars, NADA isn't a reliable Bible for prices, but it will be in the right ball park.

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs

This may come as a shocker, but your friends $90k coach is a bargain basement model. I know that sounds like a high class price, but it is fact is bare bones for what it takes to build a house on a truck chassis and equip & furnish it besides. Increase that number by 30-40% to get into even the mid range of quality and features. For example, a two-year-old 32 foot Winnebago Adventurer has a resale value around $120k.

You aren't going to find many (any?) bunk models prior to about 2010 anyway - the Class A market before that point was almost exclusively aimed at retired couples rather than families. Nor are there very many Class A's under 32 ft, so your choices are limited. Winnebago and Tiffin are your best bet as manufacturers in that size range.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #4

2011 Tiffin 35QBA comes to mind, bunk model. 4 slides!

I think some were on the 22k chassis so not alot of CCC, especially with a family of 5.
torino421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #5

And if you buy an older model with slides, better have deep pockets to cover new seals and operating components.
The coach, now 7-8 years old, is at a point where things are starting to wear out if the coach has seen some use. Mileage is NOT the deciding factor here. Use is.

Make sure you do an in-depth inspection with a qualified individual that does inspections. Ultimately his charge will prove a wise investment.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2008 Itasca Sunova 35J, which is a Class A bunkhouse. The Winnebago Sightseer is the sibling model, either in the 35J floorplan will be a bunk model. If my memory is right they ran from 2007-2014. The newer version is the Sunstar / Vista LX 35B. (the brand new version is the Intent 31B, however with your notes on your price range, the Intent may be a bit too new)

We are a family of 4 and the floorplan works very well. We took on a 2 week trip this summer to Disney and nobody was "climbing the walls" at the end, everyone had their own space. Overall, the layout is pretty well thought out. You do give up a little bath area to make room for the bunks, but there is still a decent amount of room in there. (I'm 6'2 and would never be accused of passing up a good meal....)

Decent storage in the basement, and the fresh/black/grey capacity isn't too bad either.

There are a couple nit pick items I would change, but for a family I think it s a great setup.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #7

All great info, thank you. Please keep the recommendations coming! I do realize the new, $90,000 is the "bargain" model, and that's what I'd like to avoid when buying used. I can't for sure say $60,000 is the budget as I'm just starting to look, but am more concerned with minimizing the depreciation. Obviously an older model will depreciate less, but then you get to the point of things starting to break...so just looking for that sweet spot, and some model recommendations to help me narrow down the list.
spfulfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you hop on RV Trader, and go into the advanced search area, you can search by price, type (class A) and use a keyword of Bunk. You will get some odd hits, but should help you see some of the different manufacturers/floorplans out there. There is also a for sale section here, you might find a bunk model in there.

That being said, bunk models are definitely a limited breed. As a generality, I think most with kids end up getting travel trailers/ 5th wheels, seems to be a LOT more of those out there with bunks versus the class A variety. At least, when I was doing my searching that seemed to be the rule. (That, and they were all a minimum 5 hour drive away.......)

Keep us in the loop, spending other peoples money on RV's is almost as fun as buying your own! =)
Old 10-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by spfulfill View Post
All great info, thank you. Please keep the recommendations coming! I do realize the new, $90,000 is the "bargain" model, and that's what I'd like to avoid when buying used. I can't for sure say $60,000 is the budget as I'm just starting to look, but am more concerned with minimizing the depreciation. Obviously an older model will depreciate less, but then you get to the point of things starting to break...so just looking for that sweet spot, and some model recommendations to help me narrow down the list.

I am not at all trying to be disrespectful, but RV s don’t fit the classical quality/ depreciation model. And you are going to sorely disappointed with the operating, repair, and maintenance cost.
You can have a top flight, high quality $250K rig and the repair, upkeep, and maintenance cost are going to be extremely high.
About the only thing to compare it to is a boat or an airplane. They are very expensive to use and maintain.

I’ve owned four motorhomes, of three brands, gas and diesel. They are not economical.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Hello,
First post here -- Looking into getting our first motorhome. What I'm looking for is something over 30ft with bunks (3 young kids), so the more it sleeps, the better. There are a lot of brands and models out there that would work, but my goal would be to find something newer (maybe 2010 and newer) that really holds its value the best, almost like the Honda of motorhomes I haven't officially set my budget yet, but I'd love to get into something closer to $60,000 that I would have no problem selling at $60,000 5 year later for example. My gut tells me that the resale value and quality of the motorhome goes hand in hand... We have friends that paid just under $90,000 for something that's a year old that would work really well for us, but the quality is really not very good, and my gut tells me the value will take a nose dive over the next few years while everything starts to fall apart. Maybe there's no such motorhome, but I thought I'd poll the experts on here and get some recommendations?
Gas or DP???
5 years is a long time without depreciation, so needs to be older, unless you can steal it.
For example, we're 2 3/4yrs since purchasing ours and low retail NADA is still above what we paid for it. Upkeep costs have been minimal, as well, but then I'm a self doer, whenever possible, so that saves a bundle in itself.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
There's also a point, after things have broken and whereas someone had to fix them, before you got it.
Within your budget, you can buy one like ours in an 05 model and one that should be a good bit better than an entry level 10 gasser. Just be sure to get the LE in that year. Not so sure about a bunk model, but it will have two leather coaches, that make into double beds.
Don't be afraid to shock a seller, with a low ball offer, as you can always come up, but not go down and besides, they don't mind shocking you. Having said that it's best to deal with a consignment dealer and for removing the emotional ramifications of talking to the seller directly.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #12

SPFULFILL
IMHO, Tiffin and Newmar have been building coaches that are just a little better fit and finish than the Winnebago's, which also have a good reputation. I am a repeat Newmar owner. That being said, a poorly maintained Tiffin or Newmar is not going to be any more reliable than a very well maintained motorhome that cost less initially. Things break in all of them... I am not sure if the more expensive brands hold a higher percentage of their initial value than less expensive brands…never studied this. However, I would be surprised if you could find a motorhome that is less than 7 years old that won’t lose 30-40% of its value over 5 years. Lenders usually will not lend on a motorhome that is over 10 years old or has high mileage.
Most of the power trains are the same between brands since 2010...i.e. Ford F53 chassis for gas or Freightliner for Diesel, so if the drive trains have been properly maintained, they are usually relatively trouble free for the first 50,000 miles and beyond. Just make sure the chassis has sufficient payload to handle the people and stuff you are planning on carrying. There can be wide variances in payloads depending on which chassis a motorhome manufacturer puts their box on. I would think with the crowd you are planning on, you will want at least 3,000 pounds of NCC (net carrying capacity)
Most manufacturers use the same suppliers for plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc. so the quality of these system components are usually similar. The differences are going to be related to how well the manufacturer thought out and installed the electrical wiring and plumbing pipes and tanks.
Most differences are going to be in the features and bells and whistles. i.e. nicer (not necessarily better quality) plumbing fixtures, better thermostat, nicer countertops and furniture fabrics, etc. Most manufacturers make their own cabinets and there are definitely some that are better than others. There can also be significant differences in insulation and HVAC ducting work. Usually, when you start adding up the value of all the little differences, you begin realizing why some brands cost more than others.
If you are considering buying a coach that is already several years old and then holding onto it for 5 years, I would strongly suggest you consider one with full body paint. Unless it has been stored indoors and you have a place to continue doing so, a nine year old coach without a well maintained full body paint job is going to begin to look old and lose its value.
Happy hunting for your new home on wheels
joelminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I recommend you look at a Travel Supreme Select, 2003-2008 model. It's older than you desire, but it's an upper scale diesel pusher that has already taken a large depreciation. Most of these have a very large rear closet that many owners have converted to bunk beds. Lazy Days even did some of the conversions.

After you have looked at some of the others, just look at a TS Select. You will be getting a high quality coach that your friends will be jealous over. They are built on a Spartan chassis with a 500hp Cummins ISM, real granite counter tops, and other high end appointments.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We all Want to buy a motorhome that does not depreciate over five years.
Please keep us posted how the search works out!

Tags
class a