Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim james View Post
i WAS TOLD THAT RED LIGHT CAMERA CITATIONS WERE TOTALLY BEATABLE AND COULD NOT STAND IN A COURT OF LAW. UNDER THE PROTECTION OF OUR CONSTITUTION YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE YOUR ACCUSER PRESENT IN A COURT OF LAW. WELL CAMERAS CANT WALK IN NOR DO THEY SPEAK. THAT BEING SAID ANY TYPE OF REPRESENTATION FROM THE CAMERAS REPRESENTITIVES IS PURE HEAR SAY. THE MINUTE THEY OPEN THEY'RE MOUTH YOU DECLARE HEARSAY YOUR HONER AND IT SHOULD BE SUSTAINED. I AM NOT A LAWYER THOUGH BUT HAVE READ THIS AND IT MAKES GOOD SENSE TO ME.
Doesnt work that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
In Germany the government has traffic cameras installed along the autobahns to detect speeders (not all of the autobahns are free of speed limits). A guy in my unit put on a gorilla mask and purposely triggered a few of those cameras a week before he rotated stateside. The pictures were posted to the unit bulletin board, we were warned not to try it ourselves. The first sergeant was not amused, but the guy that did it did not have to come back to Germany to pay the fines, he was back in the states and his car was halfway across the pond on a ship.
In Japan, thats a popular way to not get a ticket as they MUST be able to see your face..

BTW - Spent 10 years in Germany growing up.. Loved it

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #44

Red light cameras are a pain but ..... look at why they got installed. Go to any, any intersection or stop sign and see what happens. Vehicles will keep going through until they figure that the other light has turned green. Look to see who ACTUALLY stops at a stop sign. Few use turn signals. I honestly believe that the thinking is: It's all about me. If I can get by with it, I'll do it. Me first. I'm more important. But don't you cause me to hit my brakes or drive like I'm driving. I'll get mad and honk, tailgate or wave my finger at you. It's just the way it is folks. Our society is going to the dumpster. Sad, and I don't like it but that's what's really going on out there. At one time, vehicles that need some slack cut on highway laws would have been given lee way. Not anymore. The guy on the Vespa scooter would say he was getting discriminated against. I don't mean to sound so down but that's what's going on..... and honestly, it won't get better. These are the good old days. We don't want to know what our grand kids will have to face when they are our age. Just as our grandparents would be amazed at our society now.

CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my town we have two red light cameras installed at two intersections. When they first went in there were signs that stated RED LIGHT PHOTO ENFORCED. Recently, the signs came down. The cameras are still operating.
Oh yeah, this is all about "safety".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
According the the link below based on GA law, a red light violation only takes place if your vehicle crosses the stop line after it turn red. It isn't because you are still going through the intersection when it comes on.

Running a red light law

Also from Jersey village, TX a similar explanation on Page 2

http://www.jerseyvillage.info/Freque...%206-25-08.pdf
Yep, that's the way it works in Delaware too. If any part of your vehicle is just forward of the stop line when it turns RED, no ticket. If it turns before any part of the car (rig) crosses the line, pay the man! I believe the vast majority of states follow this convention, as it makes setting up the camera's much easier, and doesn't depend on any estimates or guesses of how long it takes to clear an intersection. By the way, the state department of transportation has all the statistics on the number of crashes at each intersection, their seriousness, and the same results after the cameras are installed. These things do work, and work well, despite all the whining and kvetching you hear about them. And Yes, they also return a very goodly amount of money to the municipality. If you do the crime, you pay the fine!!
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #47

It's despicable the state of revenue our states have imposed upon their lawful citizens. My tax dollars pay for law enforcement and now, even when I don't commit a crime I am forced to pay.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunysz513 View Post
It's despicable the state of revenue our states have imposed upon their lawful citizens. My tax dollars pay for law enforcement and now, even when I don't commit a crime I am forced to pay.
If you're referring to the cost of the red light and speed cameras, in most cases I don't think that's true. The suppliers of the cameras do not charge for the cameras or their installation, however they then receive a pretty substantial portion of the revenue generated. I have heard in some cases it's in the 40 - 50% range.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Just a thought
Our government in Australia has been duplicating sons of your governments ideas
Hope your govt doesn't reciprocate.
I swear that the australian police force recover their wages in fines. USA police seem to rarely hand out fines. This is a personal observation
Old 04-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #50

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
In Germany the government has traffic cameras installed along the autobahns to detect speeders (not all of the autobahns are free of speed limits). A guy in my unit put on a gorilla mask and purposely triggered a few of those cameras a week before he rotated stateside. The pictures were posted to the unit bulletin board, we were warned not to try it ourselves. The first sergeant was not amused, but the guy that did it did not have to come back to Germany to pay the fines, he was back in the states and his car was halfway across the pond on a ship.
A guy tired just that a while back in Scottsdale, AZ. They managed to catch him since the idiot established a pattern so the gendarmes were waiting for him in an unmarked patrol car the next, and last, time he tried it.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #51

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim james View Post
i WAS TOLD THAT RED LIGHT CAMERA CITATIONS WERE TOTALLY BEATABLE AND COULD NOT STAND IN A COURT OF LAW. UNDER THE PROTECTION OF OUR CONSTITUTION YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE YOUR ACCUSER PRESENT IN A COURT OF LAW. WELL CAMERAS CANT WALK IN NOR DO THEY SPEAK. THAT BEING SAID ANY TYPE OF REPRESENTATION FROM THE CAMERAS REPRESENTITIVES IS PURE HEAR SAY. THE MINUTE THEY OPEN THEY'RE MOUTH YOU DECLARE HEARSAY YOUR HONER AND IT SHOULD BE SUSTAINED. I AM NOT A LAWYER THOUGH BUT HAVE READ THIS AND IT MAKES GOOD SENSE TO ME.
I've heard the same from a friend who had to attend traffic school and said she heard from the instructor yet people are convicted of crimes all the time based only on security camera footage.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #52

I've had a red light ticket myself a few years ago, and was none too happy about it. However I did spend this past January in Miami and I hope they install them on every corner in the Miami-Dade area. I very quickly learned that when the light turns green, wait two seconds, look both ways, then proceed. I guess down there green means go, yellow means go faster, and red means haul butt. Until I learned, I had about 4 close calls.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I got a few of these wheb they first put them in in chicAgo...

They are a municipal fine, not a moving violation. In the name of safety, they just want your money. They showed really nice videos on the internet of me hammering it wqhen the light turned yellow and blowing the red light. More than once before i learned to spot them and behave.

The law in illinois is the vehicle must enter the intersection after the light turns red. Pretty hard to argue that on video. They changed the camera systems to quit nailing people who were turning right on red.

I still totally object to the lose of my constitutionally guaranteed right to the presumption of innocense, trial by jury, and right to question my accuser!
You haven't lost anything. All that comes into play in a criminal case, not a mere traffic infraction. You want to see cost go even further out of sight, elevate these back up to criminal sanctions. You'd have all those rights and right to an attorney provided if you couldn't afford one. And you probably couldn't after all your taxes went up to pay all the cost. It was because of the case of Argersinger v. Hamlin, 407 U.S. 25 (1972) that the states removed most traffic violations from the criminal ranks (mostly misdemeanors) to civil infractions. Believe me, cost wise, you don't want to go back.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #54

I live in St Pete and they have been going nuts all over Florida with the cameras for the past year or two, they have found a new way to get money without saying they are raiseing taxes.
I know 3 people that got tickets in the past month from them, one for turning right on red, said she did not sit still long enough, was only still for 2 seconds or something like that, always thought all you had to do was come to a complete stop and then proceed.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #55

Ford Super Duty Owner
I got a camera ticket in Southlake, Tx and our attorney son said there is no way out. So I paid it.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #56

Looks like the less traveled road through small town America with the great scenery is not for the RV'r who has the time to enjoy it...is not operated with us in mind. I guess those who want to hurry up and wait will get to enjoy them.
It's a shame that they have carried that 3 second rule for a cookie you drop to the traffic lights!