Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Red Light Cameras

Port Richey Fla, red light camera on main road, 45 MPH speed zone, I got caught running a light, question, how much time does the yellow light stay on from start to finish, and how much time does it require to stop a 42' motor home towing a car. I have a brake system that works on the 4200 pound car. When the video started it was 2 seconds before I was already at the stop strip on the road, I was just trying to figure out if the city has a trap for RV's and trucks. I remember running the light, there was no sign of a close call with another vehicle, I was out of the intersection with 5 seconds on the timer and had brakes applied. I did not have the brakes applied when I entered the intersection, I had already realized I could not stop.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
typically they are set to last 1 second for every 10 miles per hour of the posted speed limit. 45 mph posted speed would be 4.5 seconds.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Can you stop a MH or truck in 4.5 seconds, 35000#'s and towing
Old 04-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Not sure about Florida... In Texas the law generally reads that any part of the vehicle in the intersection when the yellow turns to red is a violation. Yellows in 45 mph zones last 5 seconds, (I think). Probably best to remember that if you didn't see the light turn green, it'll probably go red about the time you are going through it...
Old 04-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I am going to pay the fine, $158.00, they know they have by the !!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Where could you find the numbers on stopping time for a large vechicle, if I was 5 seconds from the intersection, and maybe took a second that gives me 4 seconds to stop from 45 MPH
Old 04-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #7

Same question I ask myself at EVERY light! Every green light has the potential to trun yellow at exactly the time I cannot stop but probably can't get all the way thru before changing. Enough to make you want to take all interstate highways....well almost.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #8

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but my understanding is, if they mailed the ticket to you first class, you can safely throw it away (I'd shred it) as they have no proof you ever received it, so cannot come after you in any fashion.

But don't take my advise on it, that's just what I've been told.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jana623 View Post
I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but my understanding is, if they mailed the ticket to you first class, you can safely throw it away (I'd shred it) as they have no proof you ever received it, so cannot come after you in any fashion.

Not true
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

In some states if you have an outstanding tickets they simply suspend your drivers license and issue a bench warrent.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Most states are a part of the interstate compact , ticket here no license or plates
there.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #12

Quote:

A wise man once said, "Don't believe ANYTHING you are told ,and only HALF
of what you see."

If the Post Office doesn't return the ticket to the court as 'undeliverable',
the court usually considers it has been delivered.
Traffic court can do about anything they want, it's not a murder trial.

You are lucky the fine is only $158, here in Tucson, a red light ticket
is $320. Plus traffic school is mandatory and another $50.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by montiem View Post
Port Richey Fla, red light camera on main road, 45 MPH speed zone, I got caught running a light, question, how much time does the yellow light stay on from start to finish, and how much time does it require to stop a 42' motor home towing a car. I have a brake system that works on the 4200 pound car. When the video started it was 2 seconds before I was already at the stop strip on the road, I was just trying to figure out if the city has a trap for RV's and trucks. I remember running the light, there was no sign of a close call with another vehicle, I was out of the intersection with 5 seconds on the timer and had brakes applied. I did not have the brakes applied when I entered the intersection, I had already realized I could not stop.
An older article, but I recently said to my wife "boy, that light turned red fast"...

Six cities busted for shortening yellow light
Old 04-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #14

It looks like in Florida they send an initial notice as a civil fine and then if no response is received it is promoted to a traffic offense, so you'd have to claim that you missed not one but both notices. I guess you could do it but it wouldn't be fun.

For the OP, if you were local in the area and appeared in court and explained everything to the judge and have a clean driving record you would likely get a break. And even if not local some states allow a trial by declaration in which you can plead your case by mail. And from what I read Florida courts have been skeptical of the 'law enforcement by private company' nature of red light cameras and the majority of court-contested cases end up being dismissed. Still a hassle though.