Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #1

To answer a few requests for better pics, here is the finished product. This is a solution to mount an outboard motor to the back of the MH. I use it to power an inflatable 11' boat for sight seeing mostly. This is how it went:

First I found a welder that was willing to be a little creative. We started by mounting a new 2" receiver to the back of the MH. It is welded to the existing #10,000 pound rated tow hitch that came with the coach. Interestingly, the welder I used made his own reciever as opposed to buying one!

The difference from an earlier post, I took the unit back to him and had him weld an 18" extension onto the part that slides into the reciever. This effectivly moved the motor 18" right, out of the way of the heat coming from the radiator, and increasing the lock to lock turn radius of the toad.

What doesn't actually show is the part of the unit that slides into the receiver is actually 18" long with 2 more holes for a lock pin drilled into it. This way I can adjust how close or how far I want the motor to be to the MH. I use the farthest extended position when I attach the unit to the back of my Jeep to transport the boat and motor to a lake. The unit rides behind the Jeep easily and there is no bounce at all.

In order to discourage the motor from "walking away" when on the back of the MH or Jeep, we added a few lock attachments to harden the target.

This is what it looks like in the mounted position. The MH is parked and the air bags are dumped. When we are in travel mode there is a lot of clearence between the bottom of the drive unit and the asphalt.

And then to keep everything clean (I love things clean) I bought an oversize motor cover from West Marine.

And this is what makes it all worth it! You can tell how stressed out the dog is to be riding in the boat.....

Reminds me of an old saying, "The only difference between Men and Boys is the price of the toys"

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #2

To answer a few requests for better pics, here is the finished product. This is a solution to mount an outboard motor to the back of the MH. I use it to power an inflatable 11' boat for sight seeing mostly. This is how it went:

First I found a welder that was willing to be a little creative. We started by mounting a new 2" receiver to the back of the MH. It is welded to the existing #10,000 pound rated tow hitch that came with the coach. Interestingly, the welder I used made his own reciever as opposed to buying one!

The difference from an earlier post, I took the unit back to him and had him weld an 18" extension onto the part that slides into the reciever. This effectivly moved the motor 18" right, out of the way of the heat coming from the radiator, and increasing the lock to lock turn radius of the toad.

What doesn't actually show is the part of the unit that slides into the receiver is actually 18" long with 2 more holes for a lock pin drilled into it. This way I can adjust how close or how far I want the motor to be to the MH. I use the farthest extended position when I attach the unit to the back of my Jeep to transport the boat and motor to a lake. The unit rides behind the Jeep easily and there is no bounce at all.

In order to discourage the motor from "walking away" when on the back of the MH or Jeep, we added a few lock attachments to harden the target.

This is what it looks like in the mounted position. The MH is parked and the air bags are dumped. When we are in travel mode there is a lot of clearence between the bottom of the drive unit and the asphalt.

And then to keep everything clean (I love things clean) I bought an oversize motor cover from West Marine.

And this is what makes it all worth it! You can tell how stressed out the dog is to be riding in the boat.....

Reminds me of an old saying, "The only difference between Men and Boys is the price of the toys"

Sarge

Old 07-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #3

Sarge, your the man. I also want to carry an inflatable with motor so, my hat is off to you once again for another great project. Like the dog too!
Old 07-22-2008, 06:43 AM   #4

Thanks FunTime, I didn't know if it was going to be possible at first, but with a little thought it all came together. It add a whole different dimension to traveling for us. And I haven't even started to fish yet!

The bigger issue was finding space for the all the little stuff that comes with the boat. Like flotation vests for us (and the dog), that is a collapsable ice chest in the front of the boat, I bought a wheel kit that attaches to the back of the boat and lets me easily roll the boat to the launch, and the seat cushion and bag that stores little "stuff". But is was still worth it. It is a blast puttin around on some lake looking at the scenery or wild life. I'd do it all over again in a second.

Hey, who says you can't take it all with ya!