Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Redlands truck & RV, California, service good or bad?

Hello everyone and thank you for your advice in advance. I am thinking of taking our RV to Redlands RV & Truck in Redlands, CA for some chassis service and wondering if the recommendation is a thumbs up or down for them.

I saw a talk given by the owner at Quartzite and was very impressed with his knowledge. This is all I know of them.

The problem I would like them to deal with are axle seals on my drive axle. Over the past two years I have had a leak on one side twice and the other side three times. Each time I have brought the coach in for repair I was told either it was a poor quality gasket or improperly torqued bolts. As you can imagine this has become a royal PITA. Keith the owner at Redlands told me he can fix the problem permanently. He feels I need new axle studs and bolts.

Thank you,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 08:03 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
Hello everyone and thank you for your advice in advance. I am thinking of taking our RV to Redlands RV & Truck in Redlands, CA for some chassis service and wondering if the recommendation is a thumbs up or down for them.
I saw a talk given by the owner at Quartzite and was very impressed with his knowledge. This is all I know of them.

-----------

I haven't used Redlands RV but I did recently use Colton Truck Terminal Garage. I was happy with their service, they do a lot of work on motorhome chassis.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #3

Went to their presentation the prices they quoted scared me away
mccrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #4

I have personally used Redlands shop and would go back again without hesitation. Three years ago my rear axle had to be pulled and as a result leaked slowly afterward. There is a very thin paper-like gasket that was not doing the job. It was recommended to me to do away with the axle gasket and use RTV gasket maker (comes in a tube).

Lift problem side of axle to keep oil from running out (use ramp, jack, etc.), pull axle out about a foot or so, dispose of gasket, properly clean the surfaces, apply RTV, lightly snug the bolts, let the RTV partially cure, then tighten bolts, insure proper oil level in axle. That procedure cured my leaking axle ........... all the best.

Gasket Makers
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post

The problem I would like them to deal with are axle seals on my drive axle. Over the past two years I have had a leak on one side twice and the other side three times. Each time I have brought the coach in for repair I was told either it was a poor quality gasket or improperly torqued bolts. As you can imagine this has become a royal PITA. Keith the owner at Redlands told me he can fix the problem permanently. He feels I need new axle studs and bolts.

Thank you,
You likely heard a presentation by Keith Shomaker, owner of Redlands. Every year they have a huge presence in QZ, but their permanent location in Redlands, CA is a well known and respected truck and RV repair shop. In fact, they are an award-winning ASC for Workhorse chassis, but can do excellent work on all sorts of heavy duty chassis.

They are not known for being cheap, but if you want competent repairs done by honest folks, I don't think you will be disappointed by Redlands.
If you go there, please tell Keith I said hello.
Ed
Old 02-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We were towed into Redlands after a fire in our front brake caliper mechanism. Wonderful folks and very knowledgeable. It is a family business owned by brother and sister. They are not cheap, but they know what they are doing and do great work. They had us back on the road in two days. Would trust them with anything related to the RV.

While there we had quite a fellowship of stranded folks who enjoyed Redlands' patio: diesel engine replacement, new refrigerator, suspension upgrade - oh and did I mention they like to sell tires.

There are three shops on the west coast that are known as the best in the business and trustworthy: Redlands in CA, Henderson's in Grants Pall, OR, and Brazel's RV Performance in Chehalis, WA.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #7

I used Redlands in the past on a vibration issue. They did try to fix the problem but was not able to smooth it out at the end of the day... Seems like they are good at light stuff like shocks etc.. At the the time Colton truck was referred to me my the Monaco factory. I never ended up going there for the issue I was having as I sold the coach but the place defiantly works on all the big pushers.. The owner Steve actually talked to me an his shop is impressive. Seems like Colton truck my be better suited for the repair... Just my experiences ...
Old 02-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #8

I have never been to Redlands Trucks. I too have read many positive reviews. When I first got our coach, I researched places in Southern California to do a chassis alignment. I was 'sticker shocked' when I heard the quote from Redlands, in comparison to Colton Trucks. I asked a few veteran's of the RV thing what they thought. And ended up going to Colton Truck. (Where I was very pleased with the service, which was much more then just alignment of a coach with tag's. Had many other 'catch up' maintenance items accomplished, and felt the prices for parts were not out of line, and also that the shop rates matched the regions. And, what I really liked, is instead of charging me the 'book's hours' for the repair, they charged me based upon the actual hours of the work performed.)

Flash forward to today. While I still do hear positive comments on Redlands, yes with comments about costs being high, I've also heard other comments from people who were not as pleased with their overall business practices. (Now, this is from both customers. And just important, other businesses that had developed working relationships with Redlands, until they determined that their to companies had different criteria and approach to business.) (Being purposely not finite here, as this is 'second hand' info to me.)

Everyone must make their own decisions on where to have their RV's serviced, based upon the criteria that is important to them.

Me personally, I'll continue doing business with Colton Trucks, Rincon out of San Clemente, and for coach related items Temecula Valley RV.

My best to the OP, and all that feel comfortable with Redlands Truck and RV.

Smitty
Old 02-04-2016, 10:28 PM   #9

I've used Colton Truck Terminal for my PDI, fixes after I bought my rig, and my yearly maintenance items. Great place, owners, and techs... 😜👍🏻👍🏻

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
Old 02-05-2016, 12:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrob View Post
Went to their presentation the prices they quoted scared me away
I think that's just par for the course here in SoCal.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:18 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekegb View Post
We were towed into Redlands after a fire in our front brake caliper mechanism. Wonderful folks and very knowledgeable. It is a family business owned by brother and sister. They are not cheap, but they know what they are doing and do great work. They had us back on the road in two days. Would trust them with anything related to the RV.

While there we had quite a fellowship of stranded folks who enjoyed Redlands' patio: diesel engine replacement, new refrigerator, suspension upgrade - oh and did I mention they like to sell tires.

There are three shops on the west coast that are known as the best in the business and trustworthy: Redlands in CA, Henderson's in Grants Pall, OR, and Brazel's RV Performance in Chehalis, WA.
I've been to two of the three, Brazel's and Henderson's and would trust them both.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:31 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Colton Trucks,

Drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:58 PM   #13

I have used Colton Truck Terminal many times and always been happy with there service.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I went to Colton truck for tires and a major service. I stayed with my coach for two days (I'll never do that again) and I was impressed with the amount of business they do. I saw no less than 10 DP in there at any given time (Monaco Signature, 3 country coaches, a brand new Cornerstone, a Wonderlodge, etc). Love's fuel trucks are serviced there as well and I saw 4 Riverside Fire Trucks being serviced. They only do chassis and generator...no house items.

When they finish your rig, they take it for a spin and then pull it up out front and wipe it clean...they even pressure wash the engine. I had to have my engine cover removed for access and I had laid plenty of towels down so as not to get grease on the carpet and they ended up laying blankets over the towels so they didn't get my ratty old towels dirty!

When it was all done, they went line by line on the bill and explained everything they did. They even picked me up off the floor when I saw the total!

tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, service