Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #1

Reduced engine power

I have a 2003 Hurricane with a workhorse chassis. After driving 280 on a tank of gas. I stopped and put in over 30 gallons in my tank. I then drove 10 miles and my engine started to run rough. My display read Reduced engine power. I had to stop my MH and sit along the road. After 30 seconds I restarted the MH went 100 feet and it did it all over again. Then the next time I started it I ran good for the 2 miles to my home.
Can anyone please tell me where to start to look for this problem?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #2

Plug in a code reader and find out what codes were set. My guess would be a sensor failure but need codes to figure out which one.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Plug in a code reader and find out what codes were set. My guess would be a sensor failure but need codes to figure out which one.
I would check my fuel filter, everything was ok until you put the fuel in!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #4

A fuel filter would not set a reduced engine power code it would just run like crap and likely not recover. My best guess is cranks sensor or cam sensor they do that a time or two before they die.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #5

Sounds like a fuel filter. You were fine until your fuel up. You either picked up some bad fuel or you have water in the fuel. Either way you may need to drain the water seperator and/or replace the filter.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #6

The check engine light went off. I did put a code reader on, and I didn't get any error codes. Is the crank or cam sensor something I can change?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #7

sensors are easy to change however it should of set a code if the display read reduced engine power or if the chk eng light came on. Even a cheap scanner should of pulled OBDII codes from it. The filter is on the drivers frame rail near the transmission. Reduced engine power means the computer is shutting it down because of a failure or bad read. A bad filter or bad fuel would make it run poorly but not cause a chk engine light or a reduced power mode.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewg1022 View Post
The check engine light went off. I did put a code reader on, and I didn't get any error codes. Is the crank or cam sensor something I can change?
I wouldn't just throw parts at it. It could be the fuel, a knock sensor, an O2 sensor, or any number of things. Pick up a spare fuel filter and carry tools to change it, then drive. Until it goes into limp mode and stays there, it would be a wallet sucker to just start changing parts.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
It never hurts to change a filter! cheep and easy to do!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #10

DTC P1515 - Reduced Engine Power
Old 08-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #11

A dying battery can cause the reduced power situation. Recently, I realized the battery was dying after having a quick lunch at a roadside stop and the battery would hardly crank the engine after leaving the headlights on with the engine shut off. The next morning, the engine management computer went into "reduced power" and I reset it by restarting the engine with the house battery switch. Bought a new battery and all is well.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #12

I was checking wires under the dash with the motor running. When I touched the brake light switch, which is metal, I got a good burn. Can this overheated switch cause a reduced power display?
Can anyone tell me where to look for the fuel filter on this 8.1? I will change this and see if I got some bad gas.
2009 37ft Four Winds Magellan Ford V10:2011 Honda CRV Toad/2008 Keystone Sprinter
ewg1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewg1022 View Post
I was checking wires under the dash with the motor running. When I touched the brake light switch, which is metal, I got a good burn. Can this overheated switch cause a reduced power display?
Can anyone tell me where to look for the fuel filter on this 8.1? I will change this and see if I got some bad gas.
I changed the fuel filter today. I then went for a 25 mile run. Everything worked great, went out on the interstate and then some back roads, no problem so far.

2009 37ft Four Winds Magellan Ford V10:2011 Honda CRV Toad/2008 Keystone Sprinter
ewg1022 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power