Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #1

Reducing my amps.

I have a class A motorhome. I have reduced my 50 amp down to use my outlet on my garage to run my fridge. It seems that when i turn it on the fridge runs off the batteries and not off the outlet. The GFCI has not popped. Any ideas why it's not charging the batteries or running the fridge. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

What year, make and model is your coach? Putting this information in your signature line help folks when trying to respond to questions.

Does your fridge have a selector switch to choose whether it is powered from AC or propane?

You don't say what makes you think that your batteries are not charging?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #3

What makes you say it is not running on the shore power, but running on the batteries? If your unit is on auto and you are not running on AC the default will be to propane. With the fridge turned on, go outside to where your refrigerator vent is located and see if you can hear the gas burner running.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am going to make a guess here please let me know if I am right or more information if I am wrong.

Do you have a power monitor for the input to your MH. If so are you sure you have the right polarity of the plug and a good ground at the receptacle you plug into and a good ground on your extension cord ?

The power monitor will not allow current from your receptacle if you have anything wrong. Hot and neutral crossed or not ground. I have had this happen. My extension cord broke the gound pin off in the socket when I unplugged it. The next time I hooked the motor home to that receptacle the ground pin did not make connection and the power monitor would not allow power through to the MH. After I checked the cord and found the problem I replaced the end of the cord with a new one and everything worked fine again. You might check for something like that.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #5

howdy
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #6

50 amp is l1 and l2

If you are dogboning it this may be simple...

Load is on l1 and you have powe4 on l2

Check your wiring and voltages.

May be simple as moving a breaker or wire
Old 07-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
On my rig, the refer controls run on battery but the refer cooling is not wired to to the inverter or battery.

Plugging to a 15a circuit will run the refer and ice maker.

How did you determine the battery was runnin the refer?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
50 amp is l1 and l2

If you are dogboning it this may be simple...

Load is on l1 and you have powe4 on l2

Check your wiring and voltages.

May be simple as moving a breaker or wire

If you have a 50 amp coach and you are stepping down with 2 adapters, first to 30 amp and then to 15/20 amp with commercially available adapters then you will still have 120 VAC on both legs of the power coming into the transfer switch.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike25 View Post
I have a class A motorhome. I have reduced my 50 amp down to use my outlet on my garage to run my fridge. It seems that when i turn it on the fridge runs off the batteries and not off the outlet. The GFCI has not popped. Any ideas why it's not charging the batteries or running the fridge. Thanks
Outlet is probably hooked to a gfci and you tripped it so the outlet is dead. Confirm you have power at the outlet.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #10

50 amp service is two separate 120 volt/50 amp services. I found that my refer is on the opposite hot leg from the battery charger. I made an adapter that allows me to have both the refer and the battery charger working from one circuit.

Sorry, double posted!
kkeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum.

What year, make and model is your coach? Putting this information in your signature line help folks when trying to respond to questions.

Does your fridge have a selector switch to choose whether it is powered from AC or propane?

You don't say what makes you think that your batteries are not charging?

Rick

I have a 2008 Four Winds Windsport. The fridge has a selector for AC and propane. My battery power is depleting.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Skip25, you said you reduced down your 50 amp to plug into outlet, but you haven't identified how you reduced it. As others have said, your 50 amp service is 2 legs of power, if you aren't using commercially produced plugs to go from 50 to 15 amp, you could be only connecting to half the AC in your RV.

I don't suggest you just jumper between the two legs of the 50amp in the RV because if you then connect to 50 amp service you'd have 240 v.

GFI outlets as shore power don't always play nice with RVs, they can trip when nothing is incorrect. You might try plugging in another outlet.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote