Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #1

Reefer Operation in Motion

Is operation of the reefer on gas while you are traveling always acceptable? Non glassy smooth roads don't shut it down due to being out of level?

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Haven't had a problem with a refer due to road conditions for as long as I can remember, even parked on a sloping lot to go in to eat and no problems.

The gas system is designed, built, tested and certified to be on when going down the road, so we do. In fact the only time ours is off is to fill the tank. Some tunnels require the gas to be off but I've never been in one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #3

All I can say, in the last 20 years of RV life I have only had the number one ice box in the business. Norcold, and they work flawlessly on the road or parked. Haven't shut this one off since we bought the rig last August. I don't even shut it off while fueling. If its cold or hot outside I don't even shut off the coach, or the genny sometimes. I don't know about the cheaper brands, but with Norcold its let her run. I don't even shut it off at the Blue Beacon truck wash, and it runs like a champ. Its Norcold or nothing for me. I don't know about the lessor cheap, or residential boxes though.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #4

Thank you all...

That's what I wanted to hear!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #5

Positive remarks are far & few between about Norcold. Almost every day on this web site there are remarks about defective Norcolds. It is the most worrisome item in my coach.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
Positive remarks are far & few between about Norcold. Almost every day on this web site there are remarks about defective Norcolds. It is the most worrisome item in my coach.
The most worrisome item in my coach is the loose nut behind the wheel!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #7

Wow, Don, I too have not heard many, if any, positive comments on Norcold. With that said, we've had good luck with ours but, like others, I'm still a bit scared of the "catching fire" issue even though we've had the recall re-done about three or four times so far. Many tell us not to worry as the chance of a fire is very remote but every time we hear of an RV fire being caused by the refrigerator it does scare us a bit.

Back to topic: we run ours while moving down the road off the inverter. I've been told not to do this but we haven't had any issues doing so in the past seven years. Some refrigerators are not on the inverter circuit, however. What we really have to remember to do, however, is when stopped ...for lunch, or anything else, is to remember to either turn off the refrigerator or put it back in to LP mode because the batteries will deplete themselves very quickly if the refrigerator is left on the inverter while the engine is off.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo88 View Post
Is operation of the reefer on gas while you are traveling always acceptable? Non glassy smooth roads don't shut it down due to being out of level?

Thanks.
We have parked our old 5er on some rather steep side-slopes while stopping for an hour or so without any issues, as Mr. D stated. Haven't had our MH long enough to park enroute to a destination.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
We run our Norcold's on propane in both the motor home and camper while on the road......absolutely no problems. Our stacks in both are insulated and even though previous threads of fire have alerted me to possible problems, I feel very confident in the Norcolds without reservation.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Wow, Don, I too have not heard many, if any, positive comments on Norcold. With that said, we've had good luck with ours but, like others, I'm still a bit scared of the "catching fire" issue even though we've had the recall re-done about three or four times so far. Many tell us not to worry as the chance of a fire is very remote but every time we hear of an RV fire being caused by the refrigerator it does scare us a bit.

Back to topic: we run ours while moving down the road off the inverter. I've been told not to do this but we haven't had any issues doing so in the past seven years. Some refrigerators are not on the inverter circuit, however. What we really have to remember to do, however, is when stopped ...for lunch, or anything else, is to remember to either turn off the refrigerator or put it back in to LP mode because the batteries will deplete themselves very quickly if the refrigerator is left on the inverter while the engine is off.

-harry
You must have a kinky fridge, three way. Ours in the 1994 and in the 2013 are both just 2 way. 110 or gas. Unplug and it goes to gas. No 12 volt draw to worry about. Plug back in and it goes to 110. No 12 volt draw to worry about. You have a greater chance of being kill behind the wheel of your RV then you do from a Norcold fridge. Your odds are greater of your spouse having an affaire, then your Norcold hurting you. Your adds are way greater that you spouse will divorce you, then any damage to you from a Norcold fridge. Millions of Norcold on the road. All you hear about is a few fires. Life is good and I love my Norcold! And we never, ever shut it off.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
You must have a kinky fridge, three way. Ours in the 1994 and in the 2013 are both just 2 way. 110 or gas. Unplug and it goes to gas. No 12 volt draw to worry about. Plug back in and it goes to 110. No 12 volt draw to worry about. You have a greater chance of being kill behind the wheel of your RV then you do from a Norcold fridge. Your odds are greater of your spouse having an affaire, then your Norcold hurting you. Your adds are way greater that you spouse will divorce you, then any damage to you from a Norcold fridge. Millions of Norcold on the road. All you hear about is a few fires. Life is good and I love my Norcold! And we never, ever shut it off.
No, not a kinky 3-way fridge ...same fridge as most. It is just one that is plugged into an inverter outlet so the fridge is set to AC. Not direct 12v.

Since the engine is charging the batteries while underway, we set the fridge in AC mode off the inverter while going down the road. Like I say, some have told us not to do this but (and I'm not sure the reason ...maybe somebody can remind me) but we've been doing it all along with no negative results so far.

Again, not all refrigerators are plugged into an inverter outlet. Winnebago did this for a few years ...not sure if they are still doing it or not.

But now that you mention it, there is an "auto" mode that we can set it to that will put it back into LP when the but sometimes we forget to set it to "auto."

Yes, we've been told that about the RV catching on fire issue. But it still does scare us to a certain extent.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:21 AM   #12

I think that 4th or 5th glass of wine clouded my judgement. I wish our fridge would run off an inverter also. As long as your engine is running you should have no problems. Many now only use a residential fridge. You just need a big enough battery bank to handle the load when you are parked. Sounds like it works good for you.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been to the factory school on both ref. Your ref. is made to operate while underway. The sloshing effect keeps the ref. working well while underway. Parking for lunch or sightseeing "off level" is no longer a problem. Back in the sixties and seventies, if you parked off level for several hours,you could damage the cooling coil. The factory says now it would take a couple of weeks running off level to damage the coil.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #14

Running frig while underway

We run our frig on LP while underway and we use to have a problem with the flame going out when the wind was blowing excessively and when a semi passed us. Solved the problem by taping off (inside) the bottom louver of the bottom cover of the frig. Wind was coming in that bottom louver and blowing out the flame. Still plenty of air flow to cool the back of the frig. and haven't have a problem.
robt is offline   Reply With Quote