Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Night driving in city lights and traffic is a real problem due to reflections in our motorhome. Not so much with the mirrors, but reflection from the flat single pane side windows. Sometimes get a perfect reflection of traffic and store lights etc that are on the passenger side, while looking out the drivers side window. It is a dangerous situation, and I try not to drive in city traffic at night. I would welcome a solution to this problem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller5717 View Post
I have this same problem with my 2007 Georgetown. The reflection is on the drivers' side window and reflects what is outside the passenger side window. It's particularly bad at night. Sometimes I can't tell if what I"m seeing outside the drivers' side window is what's really there, or what's coming at me from the other side.
We experience exactly the same thing. Our outside mirrors do not hang down in front of us. In fact, the driver's side mirror is side mounted below the window. We do not have dual pane windows. Our driver's side window has tint on the inside.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Both my Winnebago & my DSDP suffered severe glare on the inside of the driver side windows. IMHO...it has nothing to do with the high/low mounting location of the driver side mirror since in both cases I have to look through the driver's side window to see it. The glare inside the window is what blocks it out the view of the mirror.

This is particularly pronounced when the right side of the MH is shaded but there is a bright light source from the driver side. As an example, when I was backing into a storage space I had excellent vision of the right side mirror but once the left mirror was in the shade, the glare from the right side obliterated my view of the left mirror. I had to judge my L/R location of the mirrors from the door entirely on how close my right mirror was to the door.

While driving I run my camera view to show my left camera superimposed on my rearview camera. This allows me to see my left side when the glare becomes serious enough to block my mirror.

I don't have that problem since my view of the right side is through the windshield which is not a flat surface.

Are there any MHs out there where the driver side mirror is far enough forward to be seen through the windshield? That would seem to remove the problem.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller5717 View Post
I have this same problem with my 2007 Georgetown. The reflection is on the drivers' side window and reflects what is outside the passenger side window. It's particularly bad at night. Sometimes I can't tell if what I"m seeing outside the drivers' side window is what's really there, or what's coming at me from the other side.
Precisely! it's got nothing to do with the dash or mirrors it's the side to side reflection
Old 10-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #33
KIX

If you are a good sam member perhaps you can view this and pass the info on to us non-members. This URL Tips for New Rvers, RV 101 - Good Sam RV Club then scroll down to item #28
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
If you are a good sam member perhaps you can view this and pass the info on to us non-members. This URL Tips for New Rvers, RV 101 - Good Sam RV Club then scroll down to item #28
Use Non-Reflective Cloth to Minimize Window Reflections If windshield or side window reflections are a problem – especially at night – use a dark-colored, non-reflective cloth (like polar fleece) to cover your dashboard to prevent reflections. The cloth needs to be washable. Get two pieces instead of one large one so it will be a bit more manageable.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #35

I use my side view cameras views when a mirror doesnt do.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It, if I understand the problem, (window reflection) then here you go.. It is the double pane glass has lost it's interior gas. When this happens air/moisture enter the space between the two glass panes. Depending on temperature and light it causes a refraction of the light and thus a reflection or mirror effect.. Two fixes 1. Get a complete new window from the manufacturer. ( very expensive) 2. Take out the complete window and take it to your local glass store. They can make a tempered single pane that will take the place of the double pane. Your problem will be fixed. Much less expensive, only drawback is loss of the insulting properties of the double pane window area, very small. You could also take the unit to the store if you are uneasy about removing the window. Also a time passes it will become worse..
The Romer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #37

I started this thread after reading several others with no confirmation of a fix. I tend to believe what you are saying but I have a 2011 Forest River Charleston, 43 foot class A, purchased in November of 2011. It has had the reflection from the beginning. That is not to say that the double pane window was not defective when I purchased the RV new. It had been sitting on the lot for most of the year. I just purchased some black towels from WalleyWorld for the dash but have not tried them yet. A previous reply indicated they were going to check a commercial bus they had been on and post their solution. I am curious if you have first hand knowledge of changing the window out because it is the most expensive cure...but if it works...that is the most important thing.

Thanks to all who have offered possible solutions.
pomara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #38

I have a 2008 Damon Outlaw and I don't believe it has double pane windows, but it sure has the reflections.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomara View Post
I started this thread after reading several others with no confirmation of a fix. I tend to believe what you are saying but I have a 2011 Forest River Charleston, 43 foot class A, purchased in November of 2011. It has had the reflection from the beginning. That is not to say that the double pane window was not defective when I purchased the RV new. It had been sitting on the lot for most of the year. I just purchased some black towels from WalleyWorld for the dash but have not tried them yet. A previous reply indicated they were going to check a commercial bus they had been on and post their solution. I am curious if you have first hand knowledge of changing the window out because it is the most expensive cure...but if it works...that is the most important thing. Thanks to all who have offered possible solutions.
I had the drivers side window replaced due to fogging, I still cant see, to back into the storage garage, I am sure that maybe the problem with some, but it is not on mine.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #40

I've covered the whole of the dash with matt black cloth which helps a lot, plus I made a "tunnel" of the black cloth that I view the drivers rear view mirror through.
Caused by the double pane side windows (and exacerbated by the annoying habit of RV manufacturers to use bone white materials everywhere) and in Australia where the sliding drivers windows are single pane, you get the same problem when the rear pane is slid forward placing two layers of plain glass in the line of sight leaving you blind when reversing at night. Trick is to slide the front section back so you don't have any glass in the line of sight.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #41
KIX

I had a few minutes last night to do some research on a solution to this issue. In the limited time I had I found an anti-reflective coating like a film that would be stuck onto the glass. I am told that the film is to be applied inside as well as outside the glass pane. in the case of double pane glass it works but not as well as single pane. The big turn-off was that the film is expensive and deteriorates quickly outside. I'll keep on looking.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #42
KIX

I'm trying something........photodon.com clearance section has some anti-reflective film that is typically used on a computer screen. It was only $2.50 for a 15'' x 11" sheet so maybe this will work...........we'll see

Tags
driver, driver side mirror, reflections, window