Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #43

Damon Owners Club
Here is a solution I found from a commercial coach, they have the
same glare/reflection problems as well. It is a piece of black
plastic(1/8") from a plastic specialty shop. Mounted using
aluminum brackets and fastened to existing screws in
window frame. You have to adjust the angle of bend so that
you don't really see it while driving, as noted in photo 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0503.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	47549   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0504.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	47550  

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	47551  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #44
KIX

Thanks for the pics Macadnphyl. I have my doubts about the film I ordered but what you pictured is next in line to try.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Romer View Post
It, if I understand the problem, (window reflection) then here you go.. It is the double pane glass has lost it's interior gas. When this happens air/moisture enter the space between the two glass panes. Depending on temperature and light it causes a refraction of the light and thus a reflection or mirror effect.. Two fixes 1. Get a complete new window from the manufacturer. ( very expensive) 2. Take out the complete window and take it to your local glass store. They can make a tempered single pane that will take the place of the double pane. Your problem will be fixed. Much less expensive, only drawback is loss of the insulting properties of the double pane window area, very small. You could also take the unit to the store if you are uneasy about removing the window. Also a time passes it will become worse..
There is no inert gas in an RV dual pane window ... just dehumidified air.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #46

Regarding film.

I put a film in the front-side windows in my previous coach. Big mistake, it only made it worse. BTW that coach had single-pane windows. I don't think double-has anything to do with the problem.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

Are there any MHs out there where the driver side mirror is far enough forward to be seen through the windshield? That would seem to remove the problem.
Re-read my previous reply.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #48
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
I put a film in the front-side windows in my previous coach. Big mistake, it only made it worse. BTW that coach had single-pane windows. I don't think double-has anything to do with the problem.
Did you use an anti-reflective film?
How did it make it worse as you report?
How was it big mistake?
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #49

yes macadnphyl, that bit of matt plastic acts exactly like the cloth tunnel (actually I guess it is only a half pipe rather than full tunnel) that I constructed using clips to hold it on the window frame and the dash. Makes a huge difference because looking at the rear vision mirror on my side, all reflections of the cream dash off the side windows are cut out entirely.
Only problem is when I slide the rear half of the window forward it knocks the clips off.

The plastic can be improved by draping that side of the instrument cowl with black cloth and that would cut out the reflections above and below the mirror that the plastic doesn't entirely prevent.

While this mostly solves the problems using the drivers side mirror, the only way to really solve the reflections from the passenger's side glass is to completely drape the whole dash with dark(ish) matt cloth - and that includes the defrost fan that often sits on the right side of the dash.

Looks pretty ordinary but cheap and easy to apply - and effective
Old 10-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadnphyl View Post
Here is a solution I found from a commercial coach, they have the same glare/reflection problems as well. It is a piece of black plastic(1/8") from a plastic specialty shop. Mounted using aluminum brackets and fastened to existing screws in window frame. You have to adjust the angle of bend so that you don't really see it while driving, as noted in photo 3.
I seen this set up at a Rv shop I think in AZ I didn't know what it was for. The owner left before I got to talk to him about it. Hmmm this just might work!
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #51

Macadynphyl,

Thanks for posting those pics. That looks like it may be the easiest solution to this annoying and dangerous situation. So is that plastic opaque, or is it translucent and tinted? I wonder if this could be purchased at a commercial bus equipment store.

So I just called a commercial bus repair and parts company here in Phx, got the guy to look at the pictures you posted, and he has never seen this or even heard of the problem. Looks like this may be something to fabricate at home. It looks like this might interfere with the pleated curtain deployment, maybe make it with hinges to fold out of the way.

P.s. In the 2nd picture you posted, you can see the suv in front of the bus perfectly reflected on the upper side window above the black plastic anti-reflector!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #52
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Easy fix

I have the same issue as JeffAz in our Damon Outlaw (glare on the mirrors and dual pane windows).

I didn't want to make any major mods to fix it (like adding more tinting or add'l full window shades) because the source of the glare moves around as I drive. But it is a major issue - especially when the sun is low on the horizon - so, it needed a fix.

I got 4 of these suction cup mounted sun screens. I pop them on the window where the offending glare is coming from. The navigator can pop the ones on the passenger side for the driver while moving...

Name:   Sun Screen 2.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:	Sun Screen.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	47584

They are super cheap at Wal*Mart

And, they work at night too...used the shades to block some of the light from an especially rude 4x4 using those aftermarket blue headlights (maybe high beams too) that seemed to be aimed right at my rear view mirrors!
I could still see the rest of the road, but blocked the "rude-lights."

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #53

Reflection on driver's window & mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadnphyl View Post
Here is a solution I found from a commercial coach, they have the
same glare/reflection problems as well. It is a piece of black
plastic(1/8") from a plastic specialty shop. Mounted using
aluminum brackets and fastened to existing screws in
window frame. You have to adjust the angle of bend so that
you don't really see it while driving, as noted in photo 3.
Great Pictures! My dash and windows appear to be almost identical. If that really works, I have to question one of the possible causes...the outside mirror. It makes me wonder looking at the size of the plastic and the mirror if the mirror is not the major player in bouncing the image back onto the window. Just a thought.

I would also like to add that the pull down perforated screen as someone suggested...for at least me is not a option. I purchased one from WallyWorld for less than $4.00 and at a right angle (90 degrees) you can see through it fine but when you are seated and it is at the front of the side window trying to look at the mirror....you basically only see a piece of solid material. This is due to the angle of viewing is approx. 20 to 30 degrees and the perforations disappear and you appear to be looking at a solid piece of material. Which is also one of the problems with sun shades. At right angles you can see right through them but when you are looking down the side at narrow angles the holes/perforations disappear into a solid looking piece of material.

I am still open to suggestions but my next effort will be to try what the pictures show on the A post. Was that a piece of black plexiglas or just extremely dark tinted???

Thank you,
Pat O'Mara
Old 10-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #54

Damon Owners Club
The black plastic is opaque, I got it from a plastic specialty company.
It does not interfere with the window or shades. It could have been a
little bigger, but it is a 100% improvement and eliminates the glare
problem. It is textured on one side and smooth on the other. Looks
similar to some of the plastics on the coach in the water/sewer bay.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #55
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ruffle up a darker bed sheet or blanket and put it on the dash. You don't want it smooth. Even smooth painted black dashes cause issues. The dash cover we bought does an outstanding job. It is kind of a light felt type material. You can buy felt at a sewing supply store in many colors. That works well too. You can try pieces of it held on with Velcro along any edges that may be contributing to the issue. I had a devil of a time getting the glare out of the cockpit of an airplane I built. The felt worked well.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I have this problem and when backing into my storage facility. Solved it by placing two trouble lights against the back wall marking left and right limits.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, driver side mirror, reflections, window