Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #57

I have a brand new 2014 class A model and our double pane window has the reflection from day one....

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #58

Kix,
The film I used was NON reflective, not anti reflective. It made the reflections worse. It also made it very difficult to read the dashboard guages.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #59
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Kix,
The film I used was NON reflective, not anti reflective. It made the reflections worse. It also made it very difficult to read the dashboard guages.
Sounds like pretty much the same product. I should have the stuff I ordered in a day or two and I'll let you guys know if it worked.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #60

Outdoors RV Owners Club

Macadnphyl,

Great picture! This is exactly what's happening in our coach! Now imagine instead of seeing a reflection of the vehicle, it's night time and we're seeing the reflection of the headlights! This is the first time that I really understand what's going on.

Now all that's left is to figure out what to do about it.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post

Macadnphyl,

Great picture! This is exactly what's happening in our coach! Now imagine instead of seeing a reflection of the vehicle, it's night time and we're seeing the reflection of the headlights! This is the first time that I really understand what's going on.

Now all that's left is to figure out what to do about it.

What I find strange is the problem I have in my coach is seeing objects out the passenger side reflected on my drivers side window. On the above photo it shows a reflection in the drivers side window an object that is straight ahead of the cockpit! How does that even happen?! So the drivers seat in these coaches is like being in the center of a giant light prism, with mirrors and glass in all directions.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #62
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think Jeff has hit the problem on the head...that's why I just block the glare at the source...

Name:   reflection_e.gif
Views: 637
Size:  3.0 KB
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #63
KIX

Here's what I did today with some stuff I had laying around. Seems to work well. I'm still waiting on the anti-reflection film on order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reflection.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	47648  
Old 10-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #64
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
I'm trying something........photodon.com clearance section has some anti-reflective film that is typically used on a computer screen. It was only $2.50 for a 15'' x 11" sheet so maybe this will work...........we'll see
A waste of money. Reflection is still there just a little blurred.

I think the "panel" to block the reflection as some one posted pictures of is a way to negate the reflection.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #65

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So, our cars and light trucks don't have this problem, because ....? ... the windshield is sloped. ??

Makes me wonder, some RVs had sloped windshields. Would be interesting to hear if anyone that has an RV with a sloping front windshield has this reflection problem.

I've never tried this, but I also wonder if it would help to close the curtain over the passenger window?
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #66
KIX

Quote:
So, our cars and light trucks don't have this problem, because ....? ... the windshield is sloped. ??

Makes me wonder, some RVs had sloped windshields. Would be interesting to hear if anyone that has an RV with a sloping front windshield has this reflection problem.

I've never tried this, but I also wonder if it would help to close the curtain over the passenger window?
I think it's more because the side windows (in cars and trucks) are not completely flat like the moho side windows.
On my rig the reflection in the driver side window is a reflection of what is in front and slightly to the right of the moho. I made a thingy like Macadnphyl posted pics of. I tried it today backing into the garage. It works really well.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #67

Right after I bought my coach I decided to change the location of the driver side mirror so I looked through the side window into the mirror instead of looking through the windshield. Big mistake. The first time I drove at night I couldn't see crap in that mirror. Moved it back and it is much better. I think the best location for the mirrors is in front of the windshield, not on the sides. Mine is ok now but an extension of the mounting arm to move it forward about 6" would be perfect.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #68

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
reflection

I have this problem with our Excursion. As a matter fact it cost us $6.000 in repairs. I have come to the conclusion that it has to do with the tint of the glass. I tried every cover I could find for the dash and it made no difference.I would love to try some window tint and see if I can come up with something. Mine gets way worse when the mirror or window get a little dirty.
stevemiller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemiller2 View Post
I have this problem with our Excursion. As a matter fact it cost us $6.000 in repairs. I have come to the conclusion that it has to do with the tint of the glass. I tried every cover I could find for the dash and it made no difference.I would love to try some window tint and see if I can come up with something. Mine gets way worse when the mirror or window get a little dirty.
I had my wind shield tinted with 3M crystalline film (90 light transmission) and a slightly darker tint on the drivers and passenger side. This film has anti reflective qualities. It helped a little but far from great. Newmar sells a plexiglass shield that installs like an earlier posters picture off a commercial bus. I am on the verge of ordering it in desperation.
Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #70

Quote:
You may have something here. I did a quick look back and most of the people on this thread have the relatively flat front windows that goes to the side and ends with the pillar. I have a 2005 Airstream 30 ft "A" with a sloped front window that is round at the side like some of the older cars. (Remember wrap around windows?) I don't recall having the problem that you people describe but my night driving is extremely limited.
So why am I following this thread? well I was backing with a boat behind into a camp spot last week into the afternoon sun and could not see a thing in either rear mirrow. looking for a cure for this.

Tags
driver, driver side mirror, reflections, window