Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #71

Although there hasnít been much activity on this thread in the last few months my problem with reflections in the driver-side mere hasnít lessened. In an effort to try and incorporate the ideas of Macadnphyl and I built a shade mechanism that I could use to lessen reflections.

My design goal (if you can call it that) was to build a device that would not only reduce the reflections but would also be easily removable in the event that it blocked any of my shades or screens.

I wanted to use something opaque and matte as well as lightweight. I chose to use a piece of 12Ēx14Ē quarter inch black matte foam board as my shielding material but as you can imagine it didnít have the structural strength to be mounted in such a way as to make it adjustable. On both sides of one edge of the matte board I epoxied a 14Ē x 3/4Ēx1/8Ē strip of aluminum bar stock. Once the epoxy was set I drilled and threaded the stock to allow the mounting of two simple cabinet hinges.

To mount this shield to the A pillar of our motorhome I used 3M command strips to stick two 0.75 x 2Ē low-cost magnets to the a pillar. This would allow me to position this shield as I needed it and also to be able to remove it if it should be in the way. Although up to this point it hasnít been an issue if the shield is not held well by those magnets I can easily replace them with significantly more powerful magnets.

As a test subject I was lucky as overhead lighting in my storage barn introduces the same glare that I get from reflected sunlight, although obviously not as intense. The two photographs below illustrate the before and after affect in the barn (please pardon the mess).

On the roads the shield has proved to be quite effective with one benefit I hadnít thought of. When driving towards the sun I have a portion of my windshield which is not covered by the front visor or driver-side visor, I can adjust this shield to cover that spot and make it significantly more comfortable to drive.

Hope this makes sense to people who are faced with similar problems the fix was very economical and seems to be extremely effective.
Best regards and safe travels - Steve.
Attached Images

spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #72

The only time I have a real problem with the reflective glare is backing into my parking garage. To remedy that issue, I carry a 12" x 12" piece of cardboard. When I start backing, I place it in the left front corner of the dash with the end in the corner of the coach and the other end facing me. This blocks the glare perfectly.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #73

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
Right after I bought my coach I decided to change the location of the driver side mirror so I looked through the side window into the mirror instead of looking through the windshield. Big mistake. The first time I drove at night I couldn't see crap in that mirror. Moved it back and it is much better. I think the best location for the mirrors is in front of the windshield, not on the sides. Mine is ok now but an extension of the mounting arm to move it forward about 6" would be perfect.
X2!! My Beaver originally came with the driver's side mirror mounted so that it was viewed through the driver's side window- terrible reflections. I rotated the arm so that I now view it through the extreme left side of the windshield, and can still see down the side of the coach and the traffic behind. No reflections now!
Simple fix.
Andy
3rd stage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd stage View Post

X2!! My Beaver originally came with the driver's side mirror mounted so that it was viewed through the driver's side window- terrible reflections. I rotated the arm so that I now view it through the extreme left side of the windshield, and can still see down the side of the coach and the traffic behind. No reflections now!
Simple fix.
Andy
Andy are the arms on your mirrors (mirror to chassis) both the same length, mine are not. I believe earlier in this thread someone with a similar coach to mine tried to move the mirror but it wasn't possible because of the shorter arm.
Steve
Old 12-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #75

Spartan Chassis
Hi, Steve
The left and right mirror arms are the same length. The correct new position for the driver's side mirror is easily obtained by loosening the 2 set screws that hold the arm in position. The new location took a bit of getting used to, but now I really like it. I used to curse those @#$%^& reflections that really got bad after I had the windows tinted.
Best regards
Andy
3rd stage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #76

Thanks Andy I will look to see if I can move mine, the drivers mirror's arm it's a couple of inches shorter than the one on the passenger side so I don't know if it will work out.

I had 3M ceramic film put on mine and it did reduce the glare slightly but not enough to help. When the sun hits a certain spot my ability to use that mirror dropped to zero, the shield really works well and does not interfere with my vision at all.

Thanks again-Steve
Old 12-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Andy are the arms on your mirrors (mirror to chassis) both the same length, mine are not. I believe earlier in this thread someone with a similar coach to mine tried to move the mirror but it wasn't possible because of the shorter arm.
Steve
That might have been me maybe on a different thread. I'm still contemplating getting an extension and changing the angle. I'm fed up with not being able to see my mirror at times. Nearly side swiped a car changing lanes in ATL. My side camera was also blanked out because of glare at the same time.

I'm going to be parked for nearly 2 months so I will start by just taking a look at changing the angle to see what it does. I'm trying to find a different source for the arm. I may have located one for parts on ebay but I am trying to verify it is the correct arm.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #78

Sky boss, believe me I believe you! That glare is horrible, until you get the new arm and install it try the shield it works remarkably well and can easily be removed. If you are staying around Houston I'll happily make you one
Old 01-04-2014, 11:51 PM   #79

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I finally got hold of Ramco. I can get the 13" extension for about $372 or I can get the whole arm and mirror for about $553. You don't even want to guess Newmar's prices. LOL

I'm thinking of going ahead and ordering the whole assembly which would also give me the correct wire length to plug it all together without an splices. I could probably sell the whole old or new assembly easier too.

I think tomorrow I will pitch the current short arm around just to see if it has a chance in heck of working.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #80

Keep us updated on the install Sky. I am still loving the sun shield it really works and believe it or not when you are driving you literally cannot see it! I wish it would be practical to low mount the mirrors like the current coaches but that would probably be a installation nightmare.

Steve
Old 01-05-2014, 05:04 AM   #81

I have this issue on my Pace.
For a quick summary of the issue that some of us have and are trying to describe:
Has nothing to do with dual vs. single pane windows.
Has nothing to do with dashboard being covered, etc.
Has nothing to do with mirror itself.
Has nothing to do with flat vs. curved windshield (although that may be another problem)

Has EVERYTHING to do with the use of flat glass on side windows. It's one of many reasons that auto manufacturers went away from flat glass on side windows. I had this same issue, to a lesser degree, on a 1975 Toyota Landcruiser, the old original "FJ". It had completely flat glass for both side windows, as well as the windshield. My old VW's back in the 60s had the same thing. In more modern passenger cars you can frequently see a reflection of the dashboard. This is because of the curvature of the glass. Pretend the glass is a mirror and this might make more sense.

To give another description of the problem, imagine driving at night and passing a truck travelling in the lane to your right. If you were to watch out the passenger's window, you'd see the truck "sliding" backwards relative to you.
If you have this glare problem that some of us have, in the above situation, you would see a perfect reflection of said truck "sliding" backwards, on the DRIVER'S side window. It's a reflection, certainly, but it can be very disorienting for some. It makes it looks like you're passing two identical trucks, one on each side of you.

Btw...my navigator can see the same exact thing happening in reverse on HER window, that being a reflection of everything happening outside of my drivers window.
Problem is much worse at night. You have to learn to look "through" the reflection to what's really happening, which is possible, but not desirable. When this is happening, it renders the mirror almost useless.

I believe the "vane" installed at roughly a 45deg angle from the windshield A pillar back towards the driver's seat is the only solution to this. It has to extend far enough back to block the reflection on the area of the window that you look through to see your mirror.
And it should not be transparent. You can try this out with just cardboard and duct tape to see if it works for you, which it will There will still be reflections on the window, but NOT the area that you look through to see your mirror.

Jim
Old 02-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #82

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Final Answer - Sort of.

Well, I did a whole bunch of testing and exploring options. I even went so far as to take the passenger mirror off of that side and install in on the driver side. I was not happy with the results. While I could swing the mirror forward and thus closer to the coach I could never get a view to meet my needs. Even if I adopted a slightly more forward seat position I could only get the to see about 2/3 of the mirror because of the relatively thick side pillar. Even at that point the optics were just not comfortable. The problem was that it was distracting to focus on the mirror. They eyes seemed to fight it. Part of it was that the bridge of my nose would block out the side pillar so my right eye focused easily on the mirror while my left eye seemed a tad confused because it seems to want to focus on the side pillar. While it possible that I could have learned to adapt to this, the nearly $800 price tag for that experiment was too steep. Even beyond that, the sighting down the coach side was just a tad "off" compared to what I felt comfortable with.

I'm gonna have to investigate Spinn's solution.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #83

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^^^ Hey Don. Is this your problem, or perhaps your solution?? 
Name:   image-1645525143.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  15.7 KB

Steve
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #84

I use the ability to adjust my mirrors electrically to get the reflection out of my eyes. I can still see/observe the sides of the vehicle without the "blinding" light.

Tags
driver, driver side mirror, reflections, window