Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #1

Reflection on driver's mirror & window

I would like to post a question that already has several older threads but no true answers over the last 7 years.

The question has to do with the reflection on the driver's side window and side rearview mirror. It reflects what is on the right side of the RV, depending on the angle of the sunlight. According to other threads, it is the result of overhead rearview mirrors and the curvature of the windshield. This hazardous condition makes the right side rearview mirror impossible to use and what you see out the driver's side window is what is actually outside the passenger window.

The only possible solution that I have read in a previous post, is to put a piece of tinted plexiglas on the passenger A post. No one has confirmed this solution in the 7 years of reported problems. Is this the solution or is there a better one????
pomara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #2

Yes, I have also noticed this annoying feature and was considering a thread on this. In the dusk and night driving, I will see on the drivers side window a almost perfect reflection of vehicles that are actually on the passenger side, especially at intersections. So I guess this is a fairly common problem. I find I really have to pay attention to this phenomenon to not get fooled by it. Just one more reason not to drive while impaired!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

You could limit traveling west in the morning or east in the late afternoon. Or only drive at night.

I'm not sure I understand, "...what you see out the driver's side window is what is actually outside the passenger window." My 4 mirrors (2 flat, 2 curved) show what's down the side and behind just fine. If I'm driving with sun reflected in mirror, a touch of the mirror control joystick moves it out of my eyes.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hmmm! I guess I've never experienced this problem. Hope you can correct it. What you describe seem's extremely strange.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #5

Reflection on driver's window & mirror

I am replying to the senior members who responded. If you do a search at IRV2, like I did, you will discover several threads to this problem beginning in 2006 through 2013. This is an ongoing problem, maybe only with the overhead mirrors that hang down according to one of the older threads in IRV2. I don't know what causes it but I have spoken to other RV'ers who complain of the same problem. You literally cannot see anything outside the driver's side due to the reflection. I have had it occur trying to back into a parking space with my helper completely invisible unless I stick my head out the window and look back. It has also happened when I have tried to merge left or turn left. If I remember correctly it was always mid to late afternoon sun. Maybe because I don't like to get up early enough to have it happen in the early morning low sun!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
pomara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I actually saw a thread on this subject. I have the same problem at night really annoying. Since I drive so little at night I keep putting off the solution.

It was suggested that putting a translucent (not shiny) darkened eisenglass (isinglass) (sp?) over that part of the window would eliminated the glare. The thread talked about a manufacturer that had such a item (Monaco I think). This was fastened inside the drivers side window with suction cups covering the area of view of the outside mirror.

You should be able to make one or at least get some eisenglass (sp?) and try .
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #7

I have the same problem although mine is day and night. I've wondered if some sort of window tint would take the glassy reflection away? Maybe something with a mat finish to it?
Old 10-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #8

I believe it is the double pane window that does this... the outer glass acts like a silver backing on certain light conditions. The inner glass then acts like a mirror which reflects the passenger side... that is how I see what is happening.

Maybe tinting the outside drivers window can reduce the silver backing thus reducing the mirror affect.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This is a real and serious problem. I'm told it's why commercial bus dash boards are painted flat black. I have read that some find some help by putting a carpet mat on top of the dashboard.

These reflections are so bad in our coach that I simply cannot drive at night in traffic areas. The last time I drove at night, we approached a city looking for the Wal Mart. At an intersection, I found that I had absolutely no idea where I was, where I was going, where the traffic was, and what the traffic was doing. My wife jumped up, leaned forward onto the dashboard, peered directly out the windshield and directed me through the intersection, away from all the traffic and vehicle lights that were reflecting all over the inside of our coach.

I was really scared. I almost pulled out in front of traffic on my right side that I thought was on my left side. I had never experienced anything like that before. I've heard that some hang blankets down to block the reflections between the windows. I don't know what the answer is.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #10

Carolina Campers
It is the ghost of RVs past.....

Get the spirits excised and everything will be fine...
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

You could limit traveling west in the morning or east in the late afternoon. Or only drive at night.

I'm not sure I understand, "...what you see out the driver's side window is what is actually outside the passenger window." My 4 mirrors (2 flat, 2 curved) show what's down the side and behind just fine. If I'm driving with sun reflected in mirror, a touch of the mirror control joystick moves it out of my eyes.
BF, i'm not talking about the mirrors, and I don't think the OP is so much either. I am talking about a reflection in the window itself. The problem is worst at night, and because of this I try to not get caught driving at night, but sometimes it is unavoidable.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #12

Look inside a American Coach years 2001-2009. They solved the problem of the reflections on the flat glass side windows with a peice of smoke- tinted plexiglass. I removed mine but soon realized I could not see my mirrors without it. I promptly reinstalled it.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
BF, i'm not talking about the mirrors, and I don't think the OP is so much either. I am talking about a reflection in the window itself. The problem is worst at night, and because of this I try to not get caught driving at night, but sometimes it is unavoidable.
O.K., I'm not familiar with double pane glass in RV's, mine doesn't have them. I can see it being an issue with side windows, but still not sure how it can disorient and distort view out through the windshield. Screens seem to cause me some loss of detail in low light conditions, I removed the one in driver's side sliding window and store behind sofa.

Eisenglass was the brand name for a product that has not been made in 40 years. It was a clear, flexible material used as marine windows on boats. Isinglass is a transparent, almost pure gelatin prepared from the air bladder of the sturgeon and used as an adhesive OR a thin sheet of mica used as a heat resistant window into a furnace or stove. I don't see how that would improve vision through reflective glass.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have the mesh looking pull down sunshades on the right and left cab area windows. When I get in a situation (intersections) where this reflection occurs I pull my sunshade down. I can still see my mirror and left side approaching vehicles with no right side traffic reflection. I retract the sunshade as soon as possible as it does make things appear darker.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, driver side mirror, reflections, window