Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #1

I used to post over in the toyhauler forum when we had our toyhauler. I don't think anyone knows me here, but I was invited by a very nice person to post some of my thoughts here. We recently purchased our first Class A and I'm so overcome by the wonderfulness of it all, I wanted to share my thoughts here. So here is something I recently put into words to express my feelings. I hope some of you can relate to how I feel:

So many times in our nonRVing years, and even up to our RV tag along years, as we drove on interstates and would see those beautiful Class As coming down the road, I would look up at them. Look up at them as they pass us, WAY up because they are WAY up there, and wish so much we could have one of our own. Thinking how nice it would be to be barreling down the road to some destination in your own home with wheels and a steering wheel. I'd wonder about em, the people in there, wondering just where are they going. Do they work? Are they retired? Are there children in there, dogs, just the 2 of them? What kind of work did they do to enable them to do this? I just wondered. I have always wondered how it FELT to be in those 2 seats. Either one, driver's or passenger seat.

So, here we are, somehow able to begin to LIVE this dream. We have a class A of our OWN!! Our first trip is a few days past us now and now I KNOW how it feels to be riding down the road in one!

Our first trip....we headed down interstate 95 south. Here I am in the very comfortable passenger seat. My husband in the driver's seat, very pleased with the whole situation. There's the HUGE windshield in front of us. It's kind of like the huge screen you see at the movie theaters to me. There's the whole world out there and you see so much of it as you pass by. Oh she just floats down the road. It's so comfortable, I sometimes fall asleep before I realize what is going on, only to awaken to that big windshield and the thrill starts all over again. There's something magical about it.

There is just nothing like the thrill of having your own motorhome. What a wonderful dream come true. I know the answers to the questions now, at least to OUR story. There goes a beautiful class A down the road, yes we have children, but they are too grown or busy to go with us, no dogs yet, in our 40s and 50s, traveling down the road to destinations where we can fulfill our passion for living the way we like, with our motorcycle or without, to see the things we've never seen before. We are able to live our particular dream because we still continue to work our butts off, but hope to retire one day and still be able to afford having a class A.

So I wonder.....did anyone look UP at US as we passed by.....

Rhonda in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #2

I used to post over in the toyhauler forum when we had our toyhauler. I don't think anyone knows me here, but I was invited by a very nice person to post some of my thoughts here. We recently purchased our first Class A and I'm so overcome by the wonderfulness of it all, I wanted to share my thoughts here. So here is something I recently put into words to express my feelings. I hope some of you can relate to how I feel:

So many times in our nonRVing years, and even up to our RV tag along years, as we drove on interstates and would see those beautiful Class As coming down the road, I would look up at them. Look up at them as they pass us, WAY up because they are WAY up there, and wish so much we could have one of our own. Thinking how nice it would be to be barreling down the road to some destination in your own home with wheels and a steering wheel. I'd wonder about em, the people in there, wondering just where are they going. Do they work? Are they retired? Are there children in there, dogs, just the 2 of them? What kind of work did they do to enable them to do this? I just wondered. I have always wondered how it FELT to be in those 2 seats. Either one, driver's or passenger seat.

So, here we are, somehow able to begin to LIVE this dream. We have a class A of our OWN!! Our first trip is a few days past us now and now I KNOW how it feels to be riding down the road in one!

Our first trip....we headed down interstate 95 south. Here I am in the very comfortable passenger seat. My husband in the driver's seat, very pleased with the whole situation. There's the HUGE windshield in front of us. It's kind of like the huge screen you see at the movie theaters to me. There's the whole world out there and you see so much of it as you pass by. Oh she just floats down the road. It's so comfortable, I sometimes fall asleep before I realize what is going on, only to awaken to that big windshield and the thrill starts all over again. There's something magical about it.

There is just nothing like the thrill of having your own motorhome. What a wonderful dream come true. I know the answers to the questions now, at least to OUR story. There goes a beautiful class A down the road, yes we have children, but they are too grown or busy to go with us, no dogs yet, in our 40s and 50s, traveling down the road to destinations where we can fulfill our passion for living the way we like, with our motorcycle or without, to see the things we've never seen before. We are able to live our particular dream because we still continue to work our butts off, but hope to retire one day and still be able to afford having a class A.

So I wonder.....did anyone look UP at US as we passed by.....

Old 03-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you for reminding me why we bought our first coach a few years back.

Welcome
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by javajelly:
Thank you for reminding me why we bought our first coach a few years back.

Welcome </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you!

You have a very nice Class A. The Dutch Star was the model we had decided on buying if we had waited a couple more years and got a diesel. However, impatience and wanting to not miss a minute more of the class A experience had us buying a gasser and a used model. Do not regret the decision as our Mountain Aire is a class act, but we may have a Dutch Star in our future...one day.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You send a thrill up my neck we had traveled with our kids for many years and now there is just the two of us, I look over to the wife and shes dozing than I look and she has a familiar smile on her face its great to be on the road again feeling.
With my wifes health as it is we wish for many more miles ahead.
Enjoy the feeling as much as you can many happy and safe miles ahead for the both of you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Congratulations Rhonda on realizing your dream. ya know, the more you use it the better it all gets. Best of luck, and keep your shiney side up

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #7

Feeling the same way, my dream should be comming true in a couple of days

Bob
Bobindowntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:09 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Rhonda...
Thank you for sharing...and welcome to the "World of Class A's"!! It truly is such a felling of awe and excitement everytime I am sitting in my front seat of our Diplomat. I will admit that I am always STILL so excited before we leave that I am starting to learn to leave enough to do the last night before we leave - CUZ I certainly am not going to get any sleep! (and that has been almost 20 years in a MH!)

Again.. thanks for sharing and PLEASE keep sharing your adventures with us!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #9

Rhonda your posts rock

Colt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #10

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #11

When my wife and I decided to look at motor homes we decided to check out class C motor homes. We first looked at a used class C with worn out seats and it sounded like it was going to fall apart as we drove.

We then went to look at new class C's and we took one for a test drive. The MH drove fine with little sounds coming from the back. I suggested to my wife that we check out a class A while we were "looking" and her initial response was, "I don't want to ride around in a BUS." I kept insisting and she finally agreed to "just look" at one of these "busses." She sat in the passenger seat while we went on a test drive. She could not believe how much she could see through the front window. The test ride completely changed her mind. She LOVED the view. We both love the visibility with the coach, both the view of the scenery plus being able to look over the cars in front of us.

Cheers
Old 03-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #12
cwg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rhonda in NC
So I wonder.....did anyone look UP at US as we passed by..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a great reminder of all that we enjoy but sometimes take for granted. Your written experience becomes alive for all of us. And I still wonder many of the same things... what the travelers do and where they are off to? I have had class A's for the past 10 years and while the escape was sweeter when I could get away from work, now that I am retired I never want to cease to be thankful for the opportunity to travel in the freedom of our land and on the open road. Thanks again for the voice of what we all get to experience.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:58 PM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Very nice post indeed Rhonda....

As I've traveled down the roads I've always wondered what people were thinking when they "looked up" at us...

Sort of like when I was a kid and would pass a big truck and pump my arm for him to blow the horn,then wonder where he was headed that day, the feelings still rest inside me when even I pass another motorhome, or even just another RV'er.

As a new member of the "full-time class of 2007", I've gotten to put quite a few miles on the coach in recent months and have caught myself looking down and waving at anyone that would glance my way.

It has been a dream of mine to travel the United States and see those things I'd never seen before and I will embark in pursuit of that dream on or about the third week of May, when I head toward the midwest.

Sometimes it takes posts like these to get us all to stop and smell the flowers.

Thanks!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:24 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigRedLancer:
When my wife and I decided to look at motor homes we decided to check out class C motor homes. We first looked at a used class C with worn out seats and it sounded like it was going to fall apart as we drove.

We then went to look at new class C's and we took one for a test drive. The MH drove fine with little sounds coming from the back. I suggested to my wife that we check out a class A while we were "looking" and her initial response was, "I don't want to ride around in a BUS." I kept insisting and she finally agreed to "just look" at one of these "busses." She sat in the passenger seat while we went on a test drive. She could not believe how much she could see through the front window. The test ride completely changed her mind. She LOVED the view. We both love the visibility with the coach, both the view of the scenery plus being able to look over the cars in front of us.

Cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My experience was about the same except my wife almost ran down the salesman trying to get out of the first Class C she walked into. She was then willing to give the "BUS" a look.

Now she loves the "BUS" and even after our first "BUS" burned to a total loss she got right back on the BUS Bandwagon and we are now on our second "BUS". Friends who got us back into camping own a Class C and after one outing at the beach in a "BUS" (with no slides btw) are now seriously looking into trading up.

A sunset dinner at the beach with good friends, the front facing west towards the water and the front curtains/sunscreen open can be quite spectacular in a Class A.

A Conastoga it is not but you get a simular view and get and idea of what perspective our early pioneers had riding out accross the country in their high riding wagons.