Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2015, 10:30 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
I would suggest you not use Velcro tabs on the interior as they will not stand up to the heat more than a few days. I know because we tried this. What worked for us was to suspend the reflectix on the windshield using suction cups we got at Home Depot. We taped the reflectix edge with aluminum tape and punched several grommets along the top. Works like a charm.
That's an excellent point. It occurred to me after I posted the Velcro idea that the glue would likely just melt away into a goopy mess, but I hadn't gotten around to thinking of alternatives. Your suction cup idea is perfect, so thank you!!!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I'm guessing that your MA has a dash/windshield that is similar to my DS - I could be completely wrong (it has happened a couple of other times ). In my case, I bought a roll of Reflectix that is 4' x 10' from Amazon. From the door side, I simply slide this between the windshield and cabinets. It is not suspended at all, it just sits on the dash and extends all the up to the top of the glass. More details and a couple photos here. It is ridiculously simple to use. That said, I don't use it much anymore unless very hot and load of direct sun as I like being able to see out and the exterior sun shades allow that.

JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:36 AM   #17

Does your windshield goto the top of the roof (and fades into a black solid color) and does your interior have cabinets in front of the black coated windshield glass. If so goto walmart and get some of that white stuffing used in crafts. I put it between the windshield and cabinets as I had zero insulation there. I also pulled my shower stall skylight from the interior side and put in a layer there as well. It does block some of the sunlight in the shower (which I like) as well as help insulate. For your front windshield screen I assume it is black, you may want to look at some light colored fabric spray paint and paint it as a lighter color. Does not look as good as black but light colors don't attract as much heat either. Also look into the Camco pillows for your roof vents. I also like JFNM's idea with the reflextix if it works.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I bought a roll of reflectix at Lowe's and some metal duct tape. I measured the front windshield (W X L you'll need a 2nd pair of hands to do this) . Cut a large piece to fit the length then cut another piece to fill the top gap the same length (yes it's big). I used the metal tape to seam the 2 pieces together (tape both sides). I also bought 6 yard stick rulers and used rubber bands to put two of them together that would go from the top of the windshield to the bottom (it's taller than 3 feet that's why you need 2 to make one and its adjustable in the height). This holds the heat shield in place very well and works every well and is compact. I roll up the shield and put the yardsticks inside the roll and use a big rubber band like the ones used to hold trash bags in the containers in your house to hold it all together.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:56 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandalVV View Post
It would definitely work better on the exterior side. The reflective part does not come into play if it is under the sn on sunscreen. You would still have the insulating value of the bubbles but you would not get the benefit of reflecting the heat before it gets to what is underneath.
There is great truth in this post. Can't heat up as much if the heat is reflected before it gets inside the vehicle.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:38 PM   #20

I have used the reflectix from Lowe's for a few years. The suction cups work pretty good for a summer but they begin to loose the flexibility to hold good after much heat exposure. What I plan to try but haven't gotten the long dowel pins yet. I have the large pieces in my windshield and have the old black Gorilla tape around the edges for strength. But to use the long dowel pins from dash to top of windshield just to help keep the reflectix from sagging maybe three each side of windshield. I have actually two pieces of reflectix on each side of windshield to double the insulation effect and then place the dowel pins to keep it vertically in place. Then close the curtains, sure helps in this Texas heat.

2005 Alpine 40 FDQS
Thanks
Ralph
Old 08-14-2015, 05:57 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not know if Refletx under EXTERNAL screens will help unless those are the kind that let you see out but not in (IT WILL)

I also know this. If you have any of the white roofs.. CLEAN IT. also clean your air conditioner condenser coils Makes a big difference.

Story I heard yesterday from a co-worker.
She just bought a house. Big "New Orleans" style affair with a flat roof covered with black rubber, Very watertight but .. Well.

I mentioned a product or two marketed to RVers (Snow Roof, Kool Seal) and she started down the path to knowledge (She is if anything better at internet research than I am, and I'm rather good)

Well she found Snow roof is not recommended to go over what she has but she found one.. And says it's saving her FIVE DOLLARS A DAY on electricity for the air conditioner.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I'm guessing that your MA has a dash/windshield that is similar to my DS - I could be completely wrong (it has happened a couple of other times ). In my case, I bought a roll of Reflectix that is 4' x 10' from Amazon. From the door side, I simply slide this between the windshield and cabinets. It is not suspended at all, it just sits on the dash and extends all the up to the top of the glass. More details and a couple photos here. It is ridiculously simple to use. That said, I don't use it much anymore unless very hot and load of direct sun as I like being able to see out and the exterior sun shades allow that.
I naively assumed that a sheet of Reflectix that big wouldn't stand on its own, so thank you for straightening me out on that. This may very well be the way to go!

Old 08-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman-az View Post
Does your windshield goto the top of the roof (and fades into a black solid color) and does your interior have cabinets in front of the black coated windshield glass. If so goto walmart and get some of that white stuffing used in crafts. I put it between the windshield and cabinets as I had zero insulation there. I also pulled my shower stall skylight from the interior side and put in a layer there as well. It does block some of the sunlight in the shower (which I like) as well as help insulate. For your front windshield screen I assume it is black, you may want to look at some light colored fabric spray paint and paint it as a lighter color. Does not look as good as black but light colors don't attract as much heat either. Also look into the Camco pillows for your roof vents. I also like JFNM's idea with the reflextix if it works.
Unfortunately, I can't use any batting or foam behind my cabinets because that where my dual MCD shades are mounted.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wryly,
I have made two front windshield covers for two different RVs using the refectix stuff from Lowe's or Home Depot. My old coach front windshield was short enough that one roll, 4' high was enough to cover. My current coach windshield is much taller and required I actually piece together two pieces of reflectix stuff to get the 6' height I needed...no problem, just used the silver tape made for the job to tape the pieces together. I used stainless snaps on the first one...it worked, but was pretty labor intensive and required me to go up and down a ladder to snap it every few feet or so each time, and taking it off the snaps wanted to tear through. So this time I just use diagonal ropes across the front, and attach with bungee cords around the mirrors and drip rails on each side.

My caution...I have never tried to put the reflectix under anything on the outside. As soon as you start to put up your roll of reflectix when the hot sun is out and shining down on you, you will understand why not! In TX, when it is 100+ and the coach is facing west...the sun is HOT...and by the time you unroll the refectix and snap it on, or tape it on, or bungee cord it on...whatever you do, it will be so hot you won't be able to touch it and the glare will almost blind you. Trust me, the heat off the face of it is tremendous...I would guess your black sunscreens over the top will literally melt in time. I have been so impressed by the amount of heat being reflected, I never even thought about needing to put something else on top of it. Truthfully, it would look better, though!
Old 08-15-2015, 11:20 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
@B53Guy - the reason to go under the external screen is really just a matter of convenience. I don't want to not use the external screens - they do an excellent job, up to a point - and they snap on pretty easily, so I could just snap them right over a sheet of Reflectix and I wouldn't have to secure it in any other way.

Also, it seems to me that if I use them on the inside of the windshield, I'll have already let a lot of heat in and it kinda defeats the purpose. I'm sure it would still be better than not using it at all, but externally seems to make the most sense - keep the heat out to begin with.

My windshield is 63" tall, so I'd have to piece them together as well. I'll try them inside first... if that doesn't work, I'll test what it's like under the exterior screens.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:53 PM   #26

We have an exterior sunshade made from the 80 or 90% sunblocking fabric. When I know it will be really hot, I use one of the accordion-folded sunscreen made for rv sized windshields. Usually used on the inside, but I slide ours under the fabric on the outside of the glass. I do not worry about extra heat doing anything to the fabric because only 10 or 20 % of the sun's rays are hitting the silver of the sunscreen.

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:14 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I usually bring the rv home to work on it from the storage area and park it on the quiet residential street out front... The sun is brutal out there this time of year...

So I ran to Lowe's and got a 4'x25' roll and laid it on the dash, stood it up behind the cabinets and tv, then unrolled it across the dash when it was 106 here in DFW...

It fit within a few inches of the top and it instantly started to help...
and I get why someone said you almost can't get it up in time it got so hot so fast

Wife probably won't let me use it at the campground, but WOW it's great while driving or working on it !
Old 08-18-2015, 03:15 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I usually bring the rv home to work on it from the storage area and park it on the quiet residential street out front... The sun is brutal out there this time of year...

So I ran to Lowe's and got a 4'x25' roll and laid it on the dash, stood it up behind the cabinets and tv, then unrolled it across the dash when it was 106 here in DFW...

It fit within a few inches of the top and it instantly started to help...
and I get why someone said you almost can't get it up in time it got so hot so fast

Wife probably won't let me use it at the campground, but WOW it's great while driving or working on it !
I do the same thing - bring the rig home to work on it / prep it for travel. I was gonna bring it home today, in fact, but it was 112 and I knew I wouldn't be out there getting any work done on it

I saw the same roll of Reflectix in my Lowe's - the 4'x25' - I'm gonna get a roll of it tomorrow. I'm gonna try it on the inside of the windshield first with the exterior screens snapped on the outside and see what happens. I can always slide it under the exterior screens on the outside of the windshield if it doesn't do enough.

Heading to Yuma next weekend and I'll be there a couple weeks - anything that will help keep the heat out will make me very happy.

Thanks everyone!

Tags
scr