Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Reflectix Under Screens

Hi everyone. I'm traveling back to Yuma in a week or so. It won't be quite as hot as my last trip a couple weeks ago (116°) but it'll still be up and over 105°. My A/C was able to keep the interior relatively cool, but just barely. Even though it won't be quite as hot, I've been thinking of some options to beat the heat and save the strain on my A/C's.

I have blackout screens on both interior and exterior of the windshield (that snap on). I was wondering if a layer of Reflectix under the exterior screen would help? I mean... I know it would help, but what I'm wondering is if Reflectix is designed to work better as the outer layer of protection or will it be just as effective as an under-layer?

Thanks!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
Hi everyone. I'm traveling back to Yuma in a week or so. It won't be quite as hot as my last trip a couple weeks ago (116°) but it'll still be up and over 105°. My A/C was able to keep the interior relatively cool, but just barely. Even though it won't be quite as hot, I've been thinking of some options to beat the heat and save the strain on my A/C's.

I have blackout screens on both interior and exterior of the windshield (that snap on). I was wondering if a layer of Reflectix under the exterior screen would help? I mean... I know it would help, but what I'm wondering is if Reflectix is designed to work better as the outer layer of protection or will it be just as effective as an under-layer?

Thanks!
I bought a large (wide) roll of Reflectix from Camping World and cut it to fit the front windshield. I put it inside above the dash. It does a great job!

I don't see any reason it would not work just as well outside the windshield!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Alright - don't mean to be Dennie the Dunce but how do you use this for the windshield? I have a gas Class A with a motorized front blind.

Thanks

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well, I can tell you how I was thinking about using it... there are a couple of ways:
  1. I have exterior sunscreens that snap onto the windshield (all my windows, actually). I was thinking I could put a layer of Reflectix under the snap-on sunscreen. That would stop a lot of heat from ever hitting the windshield in the first place, and block a lot of the heat transmission to the inside.
  2. I could use round Velcro tabs to hold a big sheet of Reflectix to the interior of the windshield. The windshield glass would get hot, but I believe there would be less heat transfer to the inside.
  3. I also have MCD shades in on the interior of the windshield - both a sun visor and a night shade. I could contact cement a sheet of Reflectix to a thin sheet of Styrofoam or maybe some foam and stand it in between the two shades. I don't think this would work as well, though, because the heat would already be inside.
But the real issue though is this: Would a sheet of Reflectix work under my snap on sunnscreens? Maybe the Reflectix needs to be the outermost layer to be most effective. If the Reflectix is under my sunscreens, it can't possibly reflect as much heat away, and I have to wonder if it would be effective enough to make it worthwhile.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:50 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
It would definitely work better on the exterior side. The reflective part does not come into play if it is under the sn on sunscreen. You would still have the insulating value of the bubbles but you would not get the benefit of relecting the heat before it gets to what is underneath.
RandalVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:30 PM   #6

Yes it will work fine under the cover. Back when we had a popup we put it in all windows and under the beds, made a big difference.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandalVV View Post
It would definitely work better on the exterior side. The reflective part does not come into play if it is under the sn on sunscreen. You would still have the insulating value of the bubbles but you would not get the benefit of reflecting the heat before it gets to what is underneath.
the infrared heat radiation would still be reflected back out, that's why really good thermoses have mirrored insides, to reflect the heat back into the liquid.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Alright - don't mean to be Dennie the Dunce but how do you use this for the windshield? I have a gas Class A with a motorized front blind.

Thanks

I just cut mine large enough to wedge in behind the motorized front blinds and the dash below. We pull the inside curtains too, but that's just for looks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #9

Be careful with the Reflectix on the inside. If you sit very long the the heat can cause the silver coating to release and stick to the glass like glue. Leave a small air gap. Ask me how I know!!😖 That stuff has to be razor scraped off.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:54 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
the infrared heat radiation would still be reflected back out, that's why really good thermoses have mirrored insides, to reflect the heat back into the liquid.
That is true if there is an air gap. The term "radiation" means to send out rays, aka; the sun. Once the surface is in direct contact with the solar shade, heat transfer turns into conductance mode between the reflectix surface and the solar shade, so you loose some of the reflective benefits.
RandalVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
All excellent replies, and exactly the information I was looking for!

I'm going to start with the Reflectix under the exterior windshield screens. I know it reduces the reflectivity somewhat, but it's the most convenient solution and I'm hoping it works well enough. The park I'm staying at in Yuma for a couple of weeks faces East-West, so your windshield gets blasted by the sun from about 8am until 1-2pm. We will see very quickly whether it works or not.

I'll keep this thread posted. Thanks everyone!!!

Old 08-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Wryly,

I don't have any quantitative results but I have tried curtain only, Reflectix sitting on dash between windshield and curtain, 95% black sun shades on exterior of windshield, and combinations of all three. It seems to me that all three performed the best - a 'the more the merrier' lesson, I suppose. The exterior sun shade make a huge difference, as does the Reflectix (on the inside).

FYI: Home Depot sells the Reflectix in a size roll that almost perfectly fit my windshield (inside) for not much money ($25 maybe??).
Old 08-13-2015, 03:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
Well, I can tell you how I was thinking about using it... there are a couple of ways:
  1. I have exterior sunscreens that snap onto the windshield (all my windows, actually). I was thinking I could put a layer of Reflectix under the snap-on sunscreen. That would stop a lot of heat from ever hitting the windshield in the first place, and block a lot of the heat transmission to the inside.
  2. I could use round Velcro tabs to hold a big sheet of Reflectix to the interior of the windshield. The windshield glass would get hot, but I believe there would be less heat transfer to the inside.
  3. I also have MCD shades in on the interior of the windshield - both a sun visor and a night shade. I could contact cement a sheet of Reflectix to a thin sheet of Styrofoam or maybe some foam and stand it in between the two shades. I don't think this would work as well, though, because the heat would already be inside.
But the real issue though is this: Would a sheet of Reflectix work under my snap on sunnscreens? Maybe the Reflectix needs to be the outermost layer to be most effective. If the Reflectix is under my sunscreens, it can't possibly reflect as much heat away, and I have to wonder if it would be effective enough to make it worthwhile.

I would suggest you not use Velcro tabs on the interior as they will not stand up to the heat more than a few days. I know because we tried this. What worked for us was to suspend the reflectix on the windshield using suction cups we got at Home Depot. We taped the reflectix edge with aluminum tape and punched several grommets along the top. Works like a charm.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Hi Wryly,

I don't have any quantitative results but I have tried curtain only, Reflectix sitting on dash between windshield and curtain, 95% black sun shades on exterior of windshield, and combinations of all three. It seems to me that all three performed the best - a 'the more the merrier' lesson, I suppose. The exterior sun shade make a huge difference, as does the Reflectix (on the inside).

FYI: Home Depot sells the Reflectix in a size roll that almost perfectly fit my windshield (inside) for not much money ($25 maybe??).
If I can find a way to easily drape the Reflectix inside the windshield, I'll go that way. But so much of the sun-exposed windshield is up and behind the suspended cabinets that it would not be at all convenient, no matter how I fastened it there. I'll play with some ideas and post back here. But thanks!

Tags
scr