Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #1

Refrigerator Door Gaskets

My Dometic four door refrigerator gaskets are discolored and starting to split. Is there a product I can paint on the gasket to return it to a white (or black) color that will remain flexible and not compromise the gasket?

I understand that the gaskets are not available and I will have to purchase new doors in order to get the gasket.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2015, 04:36 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You didn't give the model number of your refrigerator, so I can't run down the specific gasket set. However, there are many listings for Dometic door gaskets.

Dometic Refrigerator Parts & for any RV Fridge - PPL Motor Homes

Appliance Zone - Products

Dometic Refrigerator Gasket Repair

If you have to buy new doors to get the gaskets, you might think instead of replacing the Dometic with a residential fridge.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #3

I actually have a Norcold 1200LR SN#941427FR.
My apologizes to you and Dometic .

I am going to continue to search for a product that might prolong the life of the gaskets. There must be a flexible product of some type that might work.

Would my inverter keep a residential fridge running or would I have to keep the generator going anytime I am not plugged into shore power?
Old 05-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

An inverter will do fine (assuming adequate batteries), but most models stipulate a pure sine type inverter.
There are probably several thousand coaches running residential fridges nowadays. Many new models use them exclusively, and lots of people have retrofitted.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:58 PM   #5

How about a can of Flex Seal, seems it might work, (I'm going to try it on mine when I get home. I have used it on my windshield wiper motor to "fix" the Winnebago rain problem, don't know if it worked yet, waiting for a heavy rain...
Old 05-18-2015, 12:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccessMaster View Post
I actually have a Norcold 1200LR SN#941427FR.
My apologizes to you and Dometic .

I am going to continue to search for a product that might prolong the life of the gaskets. There must be a flexible product of some type that might work.

Would my inverter keep a residential fridge running or would I have to keep the generator going anytime I am not plugged into shore power?
I have a Norcold 1200LRIM. The door gaskets are made into the door, gaskets were(per Norcold website) never available separately. New doors are around $400 ea.

My plan is to first find a suitable universal replacment gasket for a household frig. If I can do that, my next step would be to cut-away the old broken gasket, clean up the surface and prep it for gluing the the replacement onto the door.
I don't know if my plan will work, but it beats $400 doors.

A buddy just got a quote to replace his Norcold; around $5,000 including labor, because the windshield must be removed and replaced. He's getting a new Norcold instead of a residential because his extended service contract is paying the cost - deductable.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:57 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
An inverter will do fine (assuming adequate batteries), but most models stipulate a pure sine type inverter.
There are probably several thousand coaches running residential fridges nowadays. Many new models use them exclusively, and lots of people have retrofitted.
It's not a residential refrigerator.

To run the refrigerator on propane you shouldn't need to run the generator if your batteries are any good.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
chboone, Gary RVRoamer was responding to the OP's question: "Would my inverter keep a residential fridge running or would I have to keep the generator going anytime I am not plugged into shore power?"

I would hope that Ray, IN will do a nice step-by-step when he does the gasket repair he's described, it should be valuable to many folks in the same situation.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
chboone, Gary RVRoamer was responding to the OP's question: "Would my inverter keep a residential fridge running or would I have to keep the generator going anytime I am not plugged into shore power?"

I would hope that Ray, IN will do a nice step-by-step when he does the gasket repair he's described, it should be valuable to many folks in the same situation.
Sorry, the OP's second post didn't sink in. Missed the question about residential refrigerator.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

I'll do my best to remember to do that Bob, thanks for the reminder. Right now my door gaskets are in OK shape, but 15 years old. I came up with that replacement idea after finding out the price of new doors for my Norcold 1200LRIM.
I have nothing to lose, the OEM gaskets will not be sealing anyway.
If my idea is a bust, so be it.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:49 AM   #11

A trip to Lowes, $4.00 and a few minutes of applying silicon tub and tile caulking and the gaskets are looking pretty good. They are still flexible enough to provide a seal and they look white instead of that awful stained blackish brown. We are on the road now. Will let you know how they hold up. I like the generic gasket idea a lot. Will be interested to hear how that turns out if anyone does it. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #12

[/ATTACH]So far the tub tile caulking is working perfectly.
I have attempted to include a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0761[1].jpg
Views:	37
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	95009  

Tags
door, gas, refrigerator