Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #29

Fans dc / ac or Atomic ? 8O) =

Dr4Film
(Quote)
"These fans are NOT 120 volt AC converted to 12 volt DC. The poster that stated that fact earlier is totally wrong."

Possibly I did not make myself perfectly clear? I stated that the fans are 12 VDC, but are converted to AC so as to eliminate the interference that would be caused by a DC motor's brushes.

The only point was, a computer fan will not run if the black wire is connected to the positive and the red wire to ground.

To reverse the airflow you would have to turn the fan's frame 180 degrees.

True all DC motors with brushes are reversible by crossing the wires.

Should have let the point go as the original poster was happy with the way his blew anyway. )

Jim
JAMESRAYSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESRAYSR View Post
Dr4Film
(Quote)
"These fans are NOT 120 volt AC converted to 12 volt DC. The poster that stated that fact earlier is totally wrong."

Possibly I did not make myself perfectly clear? I stated that the fans are 12 VDC, but are converted to AC so as to eliminate the interference that would be caused by a DC motor's brushes.

Jim
YUP - I, for one, understood your earlier post and point perfectly - was going to comment to "Dr4film" accordingly, but got sidetracked...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:00 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
OK, guys, I now understand what you were trying to convey about the differences between AC and DC motors.

Thanks for making it clearer for me. I'm not an expert when it comes to electrical stuff, I leave that for my two brothers who are EE's to help me with, so I basically know enough to be VERY dangerous.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #32

How did you mount the 'blue' fan set up to the cooling fins. Basically I just used the alligator clip (which ended up being the ground wire) to clip to the fins which grounded the unit. This is a very tentative attachment at best. The positive wire I just attached to the connection on the light so when the fridge is on and the light is off (fridge is closed) the fan runs. When the door is open and the light is on the fan stops.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fans stopping when the door is opened is good, so as not to move all the cold air out when the door is open.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
How did you mount the 'blue' fan set up to the cooling fins. Basically I just used the alligator clip (which ended up being the ground wire) to clip to the fins which grounded the unit. This is a very tentative attachment at best. The positive wire I just attached to the connection on the light so when the fridge is on and the light is off (fridge is closed) the fan runs. When the door is open and the light is on the fan stops.
I just installed mine yesterday. It seems like a nice fan but mounting it is not as easy as it sounds. I could'nt figure how to mount it except to hang it on the fins from the clip. I did'n't like that. I also thought and found the ground wire and clip were too short and stiff so I spliced in an extra 6" of wire.

I ended up mounting it under the cooling fins supported with a short piece of wood held in place with double sided tape to the water 'catch tray'. If I come up with a better idea for mounting, I can always change it later, but this seems like it might be ok. I can turn it off easy by disconnecting the clip when I want.
I like 'firedocs's' idea of this " When the door is open and the light is on the fan stops.[/QUOTE]" . I do not know how you did this. Can you elaborate a little more on this?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
What part of the light fixture is the hot wire attached to? Joe
Old 01-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Could the plug be there to keep critters out?
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
azloafer, use a volt meter or voltage tester and find the switched 12 volt connection. It will give 12 V when the door is closed and 0 V when the door is open (light on).
Old 01-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
azloafer, use a volt meter or voltage tester and find the switched 12 volt connection. It will give 12 V when the door is closed and 0 V when the door is open (light on).
YUP - but the fans need full-time 12 volts to operate properly - not only when the door is open and the light is lit!

Some here assume that all refrigerator interior lights operate by switching the ground side lead, leaving power "on" to one side of the light whenever the refrigerator is in operation...

Believe it or not - ALL RV refrigerators DON'T work thataway!

As, for instance, the Dometic in our 5er - and the Norcold in our MH! SO, on those, another constant 12 volt source has to be located and provided, which is why I earlier mentioned and provided a picture of the method used on our MH - 'twould be sorta foolish to dig around other places outside the refrigerator for a steady 12 volt source, IF there was one already there, just inches away INSIDE the refrigerator...
Old 01-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #39

Quote:
also thought and found the ground wire and clip were too short and stiff so I spliced in an extra 6" of wire.

UMmmmmmm - well, yeah, but that "short and stiff" piece of wire is ACTUALLY what is there to locate and secure the fan up next to the fins of the refrigerator to allow the fan to be placed wherever you select along the width of those fins, which are also the ground return for the fans - the fans can simply hang from the wire and clip - or, usually, be placed on the rear edge of the adjacent refrigerator shelf - sorta like this...

The short stiff wire already provided with the fan is simply bent as needed for best mounting position of the fan.

Nothing wrong with the method you used - just maybe unnecessarily complicated?

By the way - check out the fins in that refrigerator - the refrigerator has been in constant use since before Thanksgiving - freezer temp is -4 degrees - and refrigerator temp is a uniform 20 degrees - with the thermostat on 6 - NO frost buildup, and the refrigerator is nearly full of stored food..
Old 01-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gary there should be 12 v at the switch or lamp whether it switches the hot side or the ground. You did not read my post correctly, my Dometic is like firedoc's and as I said in my last post. Reff on door closed fan RUNS, door open light is on fan is off.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
With my limited understanding of electricity, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the light in the fridge is 12 volt. [?] Otherwise I'll get fried in there!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:41 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes 12 V.