Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2011, 07:40 AM   #43

I think placing the fan under the fins would allow condensation to drip on the fan.Not too good for the fan.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Gary there should be 12 v at the switch or lamp whether it switches the hot side or the ground. You did not read my post correctly, my Dometic is like firedoc's and as I said in my last post. Reff on door closed fan RUNS, door open light is on fan is off.
Correct - there IS 12 volts at that bulb - but in MANY older, and perhaps some NEWER Dometic and Norcold RV refrigerators, that voltage AT THE BULB, is ONLY there when the refrigerator door is OPEN, NOT at all times when the refrigerator is in operation!

Not everyone's RV refrigerator is LIKE yours - OR mine, for that matter, and it's a mistake to figure, or suggest that what does or does NOT work on MINE, will also work on YOURS the same way!

In my Dometic in the KIT 5er, and the Norcold in the MH, ONLY the bulb wiring itself is out relatively in the open and accessable - the switch itself is totally enclosed INSIDE a housing that on a casual imspection, doesn't seem easily opened for access.

AND for the purpose of THIS thread and subject, these in-refrigerator fan add-ons require 12 volts at ALL times to be effective for their purpose - UNLESS the ONLY time they want the fan to operate is when the door is OPEN...

My total purpose in all this, is to open awareness that ALL refrigerator lights are NOT switched in the bulb's negative lead, and THAT connection point will NOT be usable for all wanting to install an add-on fan...

Dunno how I can make that fact any clearer...

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Excerpt from the fellow selling the fans on EBay when I asked about the hookup:

"If you are not comfortable doing this, I would advise you not to do it. These RV refrigerators are way too expensive to risk messing something up over installing a $15.00 fan."
Old 01-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Excerpt from the fellow selling the fans on EBay when I asked about the hookup:

"If you are not comfortable doing this, I would advise you not to do it. These RV refrigerators are way too expensive to risk messing something up over installing a $15.00 fan."
Absolutely!

And damaging a $200 refrigerator control board, or having that $15 add-on fan lying around useless because the installation that worked so dandy on Joe Blow's XYZ brand/year RV refrigerator WON'T work on your DIFFERENT year/model, can be sorta discouraging...
Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 PM   #47

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
UMmmmmmm - well, yeah, but that "short and stiff" piece of wire is ACTUALLY what is there to locate and secure the fan up next to the fins of the refrigerator to allow the fan to be placed wherever you select along the width of those fins, which are also the ground return for the fans - the fans can simply hang from the wire and clip - or, usually, be placed on the rear edge of the adjacent refrigerator shelf - sorta like this...

The short stiff wire already provided with the fan is simply bent as needed for best mounting position of the fan.

Nothing wrong with the method you used - just maybe unnecessarily complicated?

By the way - check out the fins in that refrigerator - the refrigerator has been in constant use since before Thanksgiving - freezer temp is -4 degrees - and refrigerator temp is a uniform 20 degrees - with the thermostat on 6 - NO frost buildup, and the refrigerator is nearly full of stored food..
It looks like the clip may be good enough to support the fan in your refrigerator, but it would not work that way in my Dometic, especially going down the road.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #48

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
I think placing the fan under the fins would allow condensation to drip on the fan.Not too good for the fan.
Good point. I'll keep an eye on that. However I've never seen any water in that tray, but if I do I'll move the fan to the front.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
It looks like the clip may be good enough to support the fan in your refrigerator, but it would not work that way in my Dometic, especially going down the road.

Very well could be - another case of what works well for one install won't necessarily work on another...
Old 02-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #50

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Attaching fan to the fins

Everyone seems to have forgotten my earlier post on mounting this device. So, I've taken this opportunity to draw it.

Here's a sketch of how I modified a mounting for attaching onto the fins. I drilled four holes and added four 1/8" pop rivits into the frame's corners. These hold a short portion of 1/2 PEX pipe that act like runners.

Not shown, but I slit the backside of PEX to allow it to slide over the fins and grip. Cut a "V" notch at each end of kerf will ease the pushing-on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fridgefan.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	8063  
Old 02-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gary, I said there will be 12 V at the lamp or the switch and there will be. I don't know nor did say how easy or where the switch is but you need to access 12 V. Of course all reffer's are not the same. Get a meter and check how it is in your unit! I think we are saying the same thing.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Gary, I said there will be 12 V at the lamp or the switch and there will be. I don't know nor did say how easy or where the switch is but you need to access 12 V. Of course all reffer's are not the same. Get a meter and check how it is in your unit! I think we are saying the same thing.
No rhubarb or criticism intended - only my effort to point out for those unfamiliar or unaware who are interested in this add-on, that it isn't just WHAT voltage is there at the bulb, but WHEN it is there that makes the difference - my quote:

Quote:
Correct - there IS 12 volts at that bulb - but in MANY older, and perhaps some NEWER Dometic and Norcold RV refrigerators, that voltage AT THE BULB, is ONLY there when the refrigerator door is OPEN, NOT at all times when the refrigerator is in operation!
THERE - I guess we've thoroughly beat this one to death...
Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Morgan View Post
Everyone seems to have forgotten my earlier post on mounting this device. So, I've taken this opportunity to draw it.

Here's a sketch of how I modified a mounting for attaching onto the fins. I drilled four holes and added four 1/8" pop rivits into the frame's corners. These hold a short portion of 1/2 PEX pipe that act like runners.

Not shown, but I slit the backside of PEX to allow it to slide over the fins and grip. Cut a "V" notch at each end of kerf will ease the pushing-on.
An absolutely marvelous solution!

Thanks!

Take care,
Stu
Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #54

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
An absolutely marvelous solution!

Thanks!

Take care,
Stu

yes indeed an outstanding idea
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #55

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Morgan View Post

I agree, that's great idea. I was thinking of substitutions for the white pipe that you are calling Pex. But maybe Pex is not so hard to find and it looks better than maybe a piece of black hose.
What is Pex Pipe and is it readily available at Home Depot or hardware stores?
Thanks 62 Morgan for that great idea.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #56

Pex

Pex is the semi white pipe that many motor homes and RVs are piped with.

It was used extensively in homes a few years ago, but there was a problem with the fittings and many homes flooded. There was a missing molecule in the fittings that allowed them to crack. A class action paid for re-piping the houses. Motor homes and RV's were not included in the suite.

I did buy a couple of lengths of Pex at Home Depot a few years ago when I piped in a filter under the sink.

Our unit is over 20 years old and pressure is on the piping 24/7 in our driveway. No leaks.

What ever problem there was with the fittings has long since been fixed.

Sorry for the long off subject aside on Pex. )

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
I agree, that's great idea. I was thinking of substitutions for the white pipe that you are calling Pex. But maybe Pex is not so hard to find and it looks better than maybe a piece of black hose.
What is Pex Pipe and is it readily available at Home Depot or hardware stores?
Thanks 62 Morgan for that great idea.