Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 06:22 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Quite a few MH owners, including me, installed the Samsung RF197 fridge because Samsung stated in an FAQ that it would run on an MSW inverter. The RF197 has now been replaced by the RF18 which has an entirely different variable-speed compressor and, to my knowledge, there is no FAQ stating that this unit will run acceptably with an MSW inverter.

Although we did run our RF197 for ~2 years with our Xantrex MSW inverter, we subsequently replaced the inverter with a Magnum MS2800 pure sine wave inverter. The good news is that everything in the RV now works properly with inverter power, even our induction burner which completely refused to operate with the MSW Xantrex.
Docj, had the same problem with our Induction cook top and MSW inverter. I had to install a power switch on the hot line to it. While driving down the road with the inverter on it would be on standby, when we went to use it while hooked up or on generator I had to reset it every time or it would freak out, needless to say it got old!
When my Xantrex MSW 2000 watt dies I will upgrade, for now it works.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 07:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Quite a few MH owners, including me, installed the Samsung RF197 fridge because Samsung stated in an FAQ that it would run on an MSW inverter. The RF197 has now been replaced by the RF18 which has an entirely different variable-speed compressor and, to my knowledge, there is no FAQ stating that this unit will run acceptably with an MSW inverter.
The Samsung RF18 is the one I called Samsung about and was told would be fine with a MSW inverter. Now, I could've gotten some doofus who didn't know what he was talking about. That's a real possibility nowadays.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
If I were starting from scratch, I would install a PSW inverter. I you already have a high quality MSW inverter, then it's just a personal decision whether you want to spend the extra $1500-$2000 to upgrade.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:18 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Scottyb. You get the best bang for your buck and for the coach and all its sensitive equipment by upgrading to pure sine wave unit. Your frig really does not need its own inverter unless you main unit is undersized for your needs and/or you want to conserve power consumption while disconnected from shore power. To do this with two inverters will require you to always remember to turn the main one off in order to benefit......a real pain in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
I agree with Scottyb. You get the best bang for your buck and for the coach and all its sensitive equipment by upgrading to pure sine wave unit. Your frig really does not need its own inverter unless you main unit is undersized for your needs and/or you want to conserve power consumption while disconnected from shore power. To do this with two inverters will require you to always remember to turn the main one off in order to benefit......a real pain in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
I don't agree that a separate dedicated inverter is not necessary. It all depends on what the goal is that you're trying to reach. We had our coach specially built with LP gas heat, hot water and range so we could boondock for up to 2 weeks at a time in Alaska without having to move it. We did have a residential refer installed as we'd chased Norcold problems for 2 years in a previous coach. In addition we have 840W of solar on the roof running through a Morningstar MPPT controller to a bank of Lifeline batteries. When we set up remote, we shut the house inverter off and leave it off. We don't need it. The dedicated takes care of the refer, and up to two additional freezers we may have along. In addition to eliminating the efficiency losses inherent in a very large PSW or MSW house inverter, when we turn off the main inverter we also disconnect all the unknown parasite loads Tiffin has connected that you never see. All coaches have these. Since we're usually in an area where TV is not possible, we do not lose much in entertainment and if we want to watch a movie, we can turn the house inverter on for the task or run the generator if battery power could be driven too low.

As I said, your needs are going to drive what you do to make your system as efficient as you can make it, for how and where you use it. Please do not dismiss a dedicated inverter out of hand.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #20

I am looking at the GE Model # GTE16GTHBB and was wondering how your GE is for reliability and cooling consistency. I have a 2000 HR Endeavor and this is the largest RR I can find that will fit without major cabinet modification.
Eagle2mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
You don't need a dedicated inverter for the refer. The new residential models use very little power...2 or 3 amps.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #22

I used a GE. GPE12FSKSB. it's only a 12cuft with ice maker
My fridge is in a hallway so I'm limited in size and the GE fit fine in place of my Norcold 1200.
With the ice maker the freezer is a little limited but, the fridge part is plenty big.

At first I didn't install a dedicated inverter. My MH inverter is a Xantrex MSW.
The GE fridge kept the temp fairly well while traveling. I would start the generator to keep it really cold.

It worked fine without any inverter power. But, I decided I was tired of using the generator and keeping one eye on the temperature so I installed a dedicated 1000w PSW INVERTER ($300). It is an auto switching inverter and it works flawlessly. It even has a remote display so I can monitor it from inside the MH.

The residential fridge and inverter are the best 2 things I've done to the MH. LOVE IT!
Ront77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #23

The inverter is KISAE SXWFR1210.
Ront77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:20 AM   #24

Thumbs up

Looks like it is time to start the RR project....... Thanks to all of you out there that helped encourage the decision to switch from the fire trap NeverCold.
Eagle2mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most modern refrigerators now use their own internal inverters and a variable speed compressor. That is how they get the efficiencies that they advertise. The average draw is about 100 watts, but there is a heavy cycle that draws 600 watts or more for maybe 15 minutes. In addition, the defrost heaters draw 500 watts or more. When you wrap it all up in an average, it is that 100 watts or so.

Now, inverters also have their own inefficiencies and these measurements were made on the input of a Xantrex 2000 watt sine wave unit. Today there is little reason to go with anything besides PSW and the solar industry has pushed these prices down.

Personally I have had good luck with Xantrex. If you are starting from scratch I would use a Kisaie transfer switch(only) rather than the Xantrex model, as it eliminates the requirement for an additional junction box.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, refrigerator